Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mike Ward blog in the Indepenent

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I like the way he writes, find him a bit easier to read than listen to but that's a personal preference. I'd be rubbish on the radio and I think only very few have that knack that makes them apt at it. Harty definately had that knack.

I'd be happy to sit down with Wardy and woffle Brighton to him and I'm a morally superior superfan don't you know.

really...i missed that one. pray tell
A long time ago but after a tip off, I got to hear ranting about NSC users (myself included) atthe start of a Phone In. Simple overview - Ian said something about only getting 7000 at Falmer. I and others posted on here querying why he would say such a thing in a public show. Following Saturday he opens show ranting and raving about people accusing him of having a hidden agenda. No warning and no response on here first. I also recall someone being slagged off in his newspaper column.

As I say, all in the past but just highlighting that using this particular stick to beat Mike Ward with is double standards as more personalised attacks have come from previous hosts. For what its worth, the only real problem I have with Mike Ward is him being put up as the official spokesman for the supporters in national media. I don't like his writing style and I don't like his presenting style but who cares what I think - the people that pay him are the only ones who count. But this constant slagging because he has chosen to change the team he supports is very tiresome. Outside of a hardcore few thousand, most others are far less committed and changing teams is hardly treason. For example, didn't you start watching London Irish a few years ago? Do you get slagged because you only started coming recently? I used to watch Langney Sports in the County League so have a much bigger history than the majority who go to Boro matches now. Should they be reviled? There were less than 100 when I used to go and now they have more than 1000. I fail to believe that these 900 extras never supported another team before they first went to the Lane. Some were probably Eastbourne Town or United fans drawn to the higher class football. It happens everywhere but seems to offend the sensibilities of some.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
As I say, all in the past but just highlighting that using this particular stick to beat Mike Ward with is double standards as more personalised attacks have come from previous hosts. For what its worth, the only real problem I have with Mike Ward is him being put up as the official spokesman for the supporters in national media. I don't like his writing style and I don't like his presenting style but who cares what I think - the people that pay him are the only ones who count. But this constant slagging because he has chosen to change the team he supports is very tiresome. Outside of a hardcore few thousand, most others are far less committed and changing teams is hardly treason. For example, didn't you start watching London Irish a few years ago? Do you get slagged because you only started coming recently? I used to watch Langney Sports in the County League so have a much bigger history than the majority who go to Boro matches now. Should they be reviled? There were less than 100 when I used to go and now they have more than 1000. I fail to believe that these 900 extras never supported another team before they first went to the Lane. Some were probably Eastbourne Town or United fans drawn to the higher class football. It happens everywhere but seems to offend the sensibilities of some.

I agree 100% with that

ChapManiA

Banned
Oct 25, 2004
Burgess Hill, West-Sussex
I just read Mike's piece. Nothing wrong with it really. I personally don't discount his views on the Albion, I just don't like how on the phone-in, he comes across like he's the most important person on the show, and how his opinion is the only right one. It is NOT the Mike Ward show, and until he realises this and puts his ego in check, then the phone-in will continue to be a disappointment.

Feb 14, 2010
I don't know Mike Ward but I stopped listening because he is not funny like Harty and also he doesn't get the Albion. In his mind the Albion is a small time nothing club that should be grateful fo his support. What he doesnt get is that BHA were something in the 70s and 80s. We are not grateful for his support and BHA will again be a something club. The clubs fans that organised in "the troubles" with Archer don't need the attitude coming from Mike Ward. Its not really about "new fans" its just that he doesn't "get" the club but maybe one day and y listening instead of talking, he might do one day. Its time he moved on from the show and we look for the next Harty - how old is Harty's lad now.. give him a go maybe.. For the first league game at Falmer I would like Dannny Baker be invited to co host with Harty in a one off special. Baker is a proper football fan and might do it.

Shoreham Beach Seagull

May 6, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I don't really listen to the fans phone in that often as i'm usually at the games so hadn't ever realised about him previously supportig Arsenal. When I do listen to the show I find that he irritates the hell out of me, as other people say he thinks his point is the only right view.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The bloke is a tosser. Too full of his own self importance and frankly one of the most uninteresting men to have ever appeared on the radio or in print.

Yup, let's keep Falmer to SUPERFANS only, and then we can all have a row of seats each.

It doesn't matter if you are a rapist, mad murderer, glue sniffer, kiddy fiddler or snuff movie director, so long as you have a return ticket stub from the Costa Lovebus for the home match against Rochdale at Gillingham that elevates you to superior being status.

:p

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It seems like he might have a bit of a problem with criticism, not a particularly helpful attribute when you are a public figure. For what its worth, my advice to him would be not to take it to heart, grow a thicker skin and let the callers do the talking in the phone in.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It seems like he might have a bit of a problem with criticism, not a particularly helpful attribute when you are a public figure. My advice to him would be not to take it to heart, grow a thicker skin and let the callers do the talking in the phone in.

That's a valid comment, but for people to say they won't attend Falmer because it will be potentially full of NEWBIES seems a bit bonkers, especially after the struggle to get there in the first place.

Feb 14, 2010
That's a valid comment, but for people to say they won't attend Falmer because it will be potentially full of NEWBIES seems a bit bonkers, especially after the struggle to get there in the first place.

I dont think anyone is saying that, its just MW's excuse for not being popular. My criticism is as I set out above.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Agreed. I personally couldn't care who else is at Falmer as long as I am. Selfish attitude I expect.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I dont think anyone is saying that, its just MW's excuse for not being popular. My criticism is as I set out above.

My comment was aimed at the below

if Falmer is full of the likes of him i'll go and watch Crawley or Eastbourne, even Palace would be better than having to listen to his voice.

So, a BRIGHTON fan says he would rather watch PALACE than have to listen to the voice of a radio presenter that he hates for some reason.

I bought Gullhanger a few years ago, I didn't finish it because it did little for me, but it didn't make we want to stop supporting the Albion. He came across as a nice guy but his writing style wasn't my cup of tea.

He's a journalist, he writes for a living, so let him do it, and if you don't like it, buy another paper.

I constantly scratch me head at the amount of venom levelled at people connected with the club, be it players (and no doubt it will kick off at the end of this match), management, directors, Andy Naylor, Harty or indeed Mike Ward.

This club has had REAL enemies, De Vicci, Bellotti, Stanley and Archer, not the likes of Mike Ward.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I have read Gullhanger and hear him a lot on the Hawksbee & Jacobs show on Talksport.

I don't particularly like his style of writing or radio presenting, but you cannot criticise his commitment to the club. He put in a lot of work for the Falmer campaign and NEVER wasted an opportunity to plug the fight for Falmer on the radio.

Who gives a shit that he didn't start until 10 years ago?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The bloke has probably got a bit fed up with the constant sniping and snobbery he encounters, and probably reads on here half the time. Some people just need to get over themselves.

He can't be that bad a writer if he earns a living out of it. And if you don't like his style of writing or broadcasting then fine, but doesn't mean you have to turn to slagging off his supposed 'credentials' at being an Albion fan does it. Give him a break for christs sake.

Mike Ward is the clearest living example of a Professional Albion Fan. He's growing himself a nice little media presence off the back of the Albion. Just find it a bit pathetic :shrug:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I have nothing against new fans coming - the more the merrier; and I have nothing against Mike Ward as a person (though I question the depth of his knowledge of football).. for me personally, I just can't abide his writing and vocal style.

If I didn't know that he was a TV critic by trade I probably could have guessed because his manner borders on a style of permanent sarcasm. I just don't the style is all.
His book documented a great season in our history, but it was teeth grindingly hard at times to read and cut through the tone of bitterness and irony throughout.

But each to their own. As Hiney says..his commitment to the cause should not be in doubt.

Oh and bring back Harty! :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here