Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mike Ward blog in the Indepenent

D

Deleted User X18H

I've been asked to blog on the reaction to Mike Wards blog.

Although its a column really.........or is that rarely?

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I've been asked to blog on the reaction to Mike Wards blog.

Although its a column really.........or is that rarely.

More like you have decided as it is your choice what you write

Ah yes, you've got me there.

Even though I've never been anywhere near Le Havre.

Funny, that's the second person in 48 hours who has mistaken me for someone else.

Even more funny is the fact that that my "fanclub" don't have the balls to say hello in person. Although actually, that's probably just as well, given that they would be met by bemused looks from the wrong person who has in reality probably never heard of Withdean Wanderer. :facepalm:
Must be having a senior moment as I could have sworn I had a message from you about it. Hey ho.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
A little ramble to start with.

Having supported Brighton since the age of 6 (now 43) when I attended my first game with my brother and father, some could say I have witnessed the biggest period of Brighton's history. however having continued to be a season ticket holder since that day and going to extensive amounts of away games especially in the 80's I remember being at such games as Notts' Forest away winning 1-0 in the early 80's, seeing us beat Liverpool at Anfield twice, being 2-0 up to Manure at half time at Old Trafford. These memories hopefully, never to be forgotten, but many, many supporters were not around at that time and so can perhaps only remember our recent history and by Christ there's been some of that. I have to say the memory plays funny tricks.I do find it hard to remember us playing at Gillingham, the team, the performances etc. Why? I can not explain but nevertheless those memories are gone.

This brings me to my main point. Mike is of a similar age to myself and as such if he had followed Brighton for as long as me, he too would have many a long memory of our achievements but he has not. This, though not wrong per se,can leave him vulnerable to attack when he ignorantly speaks of the past such as Palace, GOSBTS , etc. As mentioned in other threads a lack of knowledge is better served if left alone.

Though not particularly bothersome to me, I can understand some comments regarding his self portrayal as a fan. I do however get annoyed at pointless chatter about inconsequential crap, when we could actually be talking about the subject matter. It is no surprise that the calls have diminished and perhaps its time to call it a day. I do listen but only for Gus' interview.

His blog is is weird avenue to follow and not one particularly well thought out.

Feb 14, 2010
What Mike Ward or Andy Naylor dont get - maybe Naylor might after the grief he got about tying to be the "big I am" is that I and many other remember rolling up as teenagers at the North stand when the Stripes came back after the all blue kit (Rogvie at the back Nelson up front and Bemner.. well he migh be able to score in a ... as the cartoon went) and the first edition of Gulls Eye came out - Gulls eye were mates from Worthing, Shoreham and that way. They did it because they were local, and Albion were a part of them. When it was time to fight the directors they led the charge. Some bloody arsenal fan that thinks he can preach to us just is not going to work, he simply has not been in the trenches, and has no credibility. I couldnt give a flying one that he thinks we are no mark, because yknow we are not palace we are not no mark and he just doesnt get it.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
the first edition of Gulls Eye came out - Gulls eye were mates from Worthing, Shoreham and that way. They did it because they were local, and Albion were a part of them. When it was time to fight the directors they led the charge.

Yet Harty still gets it in the neck on NSC, and it was the shit stirring here that led to Lickergate. Whilst Harty was a funeral director first and Albion media guru second, Hawsey was not so lucky.

D

Deleted User X18H

Yet Harty still gets it in the neck on NSC, and it was the shit stirring here that led to Lickergate. Whilst Harty was a funeral director first and Albion media guru second, Hawsey was not so lucky.

Actually it was the first caller that fateful night who really stirred the shit. He still posts on here.

Even though he told the producer he was calling about something else.

From half time onwards it was largely forgotten.

Feb 14, 2010

I get you El P but its not the point. Im a Harty fan but Harty as and I expect will be the first to say said something wrong. Then you have to fall on your sword, learn and maybe come back. But some bloke that has not been with us fighting Archer, and trying to preach to us about football? He can turn it in and come back when he has done his studies about Albion club and fan history - we are not no mark, we expect, no require respect and well do one.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I get you El P but its not the point. Im a Harty fan but Harty as and I expect will be the first to say said something wrong.

He didn't say that much wrong IMO, and it is nothing to the things we say at matches. Jeremy Clarkson gets away with far worse most weeks.

But some bloke that has not been with us fighting Archer, and trying to preach to us about football? He can turn it in and come back when he has done his studies about Albion club and fan history - we are not no mark, we expect, no require respect and well do one.

I know you are passionate WCP, but by your rules anyone who wasn't there in '97 has no right to say anything about the Albion.

I don't think Mike Ward is preaching, he has a job to do, and people can take it or leave it.

I've said on many occasions on this thread that Mike Ward's style of writing leaves me cold, but that does not in itself justify the abuse he gets.

I know that Dave has worked with him, and I'm happy to back Dave's assertion that Ward is a decent bloke, and given that Ward is also (a) an Albion fan (and I'm not sure the fact that he used to support Arsenal is that much of an issue, I used to support another club too), and (b) in a position to write about the club in the national press giving us a profile that our history and profile don't probably warrant, then why not get off his back?

Feb 14, 2010
Fair enough El P but can we say he has had his warning. Give BHA fans respect, fine team have been shit since Ward & Foster (thats Foster not the no mark 3rd div player with an attitude and similar name) been shit but give the fans respect. Give him More than 90 minutes and Build a bonfire and tell him to study it, then do the radio show

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Fair enough El P but can we say he has had his warning. Give BHA fans respect, fine team have been shit since Ward & Foster (thats Foster not the no mark 3rd div player with an attitude and similar name) been shit but give the fans respect. Give him More than 90 minutes and Build a bonfire and tell him to study it, then do the radio show

It sounds like you and I have similar history with the stripes and I too feel sorry for the young fans who have had nothing to really get excited about in recent years,,,the odd lower league promotion/demotion excepted.

I just suspect that Mike Ward is using the Albion for some sort of self serving purpose, a project whereby he becomes head of PR or something..perhaps if he got Paul Camlins job he could leave the Daily Star and "follow the dream"

There are people...they're called positive activists..who throw themselves into hobbies or work with gay abandon, endlessly enthusiastic and sharp elbowed they quickly rise to the top in most organisations. Mike seems to be one of them...the problem is, just because I am really enthusiastic about something it doesnt mean that I am any good at it and it certainly doesnt serve me well to complain to the nation, when those watching my epic failing, dare to mention it. People just don't get that I am really enthusiastic and thats all that should matter.

It says a lot about his gumption that he sticks with it whilst, patently, the rest of us are voting with our knobs and switching to Radio 5.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It sounds like you and I have similar history with the stripes and I too feel sorry for the young fans who have had nothing to really get excited about in recent years,,,the odd lower league promotion/demotion excepted.

I just suspect that Mike Ward is using the Albion for some sort of self serving purpose, a project whereby he becomes head of PR or something..perhaps if he got Paul Camlins job he could leave the Daily Star and "follow the dream"

There are people...they're called positive activists..who throw themselves into hobbies or work with gay abandon, endlessly enthusiastic and sharp elbowed they quickly rise to the top in most organisations. Mike seems to be one of them...the problem is, just because I am really enthusiastic about something it doesnt mean that I am any good at it and it certainly doesnt serve me well to complain to the nation, when those watching my epic failing, dare to mention it. People just don't get that I am really enthusiastic and thats all that should matter.

It says a lot about his gumption that he sticks with it whilst, patently, the rest of us are voting with our knobs and switching to Radio 5.

You say he is using the albion as a self serving purpose. I don't actually think he is. He is just a fan ( so what if he supported Arsenal) who is lucky enough to work in media and the BBC have used his expertese to try and fill a void left by Harty. the problem is I don't think the current phone in style , ie chat about all things sits well with what BHA fans want.

When I was at Guilford studio doing the Port vale game many moons ago, there was a discussion on how BBC Radio Sussex was going to cover the newly emerging Sussex teams like Crawley, Lewes and Eastbourne ( with a bit of luck all three could have been in the league and BHA would have been just another sussex team). the phone in would have to change. the arguement was " ...was it a bha fans phone in , or as sophia always says...the "fans " phone in? I think that is where a lot of this has come from.

as I have said before, if you met Mike and chatted with him ( he is actually quite an introverted sort of guy) he is a nice bloke and I am 100% sure when he writes about BHA he does it as a fan, not as a hack trying to make a buck

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
The thing about Mike Ward is he seems to know very little about the game. I don't begrudge him supporting the Albion, I completely encourage the likes of him to come along and support our club but I think he should stick to reviewing the X Factor in The Star. His punditry is weak.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Oh dear.

Does come across as a bit bitter.

Yes, we need to fill the stadium and, of course, everyone is welcome.

"13,500 new fans". Shows how much he knows about our support. There's a huge latent following that 'used to go to the Goldstone' or 'doesn't like Withdean'.

There will be 'new' fans at Falmer, but nowhere near as many as some people think.

If he hadn't been to Highbury for years he obviously wasn't a fan otherwise, er, he would have. It's not that far!

On the Mouth thread, Paul Samrah states that there are 30,000 Brighton fans. Of course all of them don't go to Withdean - but the club clearly feel that the fan base is there.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
You say he is using the albion as a self serving purpose. I don't actually think he is. He is just a fan ( so what if he supported Arsenal) who is lucky enough to work in media and the BBC have used his expertese to try and fill a void left by Harty. the problem is I don't think the current phone in style , ie chat about all things sits well with what BHA fans want.

When I was at Guilford studio doing the Port vale game many moons ago, there was a discussion on how BBC Radio Sussex was going to cover the newly emerging Sussex teams like Crawley, Lewes and Eastbourne ( with a bit of luck all three could have been in the league and BHA would have been just another sussex team). the phone in would have to change. the arguement was " ...was it a bha fans phone in , or as sophia always says...the "fans " phone in? I think that is where a lot of this has come from.

as I have said before, if you met Mike and chatted with him ( he is actually quite an introverted sort of guy) he is a nice bloke and I am 100% sure when he writes about BHA he does it as a fan, not as a hack trying to make a buck

Not saying he is'nt a nice guy. I would say he is the highest profile introvert I have ever heard of. I get the fact that he was just in the right place and all that, and that he is enthusiastic but by God just because you know the bloke dont ignore the fact that he is waaaay out of his depth. To ignore that is actually being cruel to the bloke.

The thing is Dave you more than most have seen what goes on on the media side of things...my own contribution on this was limited to one game with Harty, but surely you can easily spot the gaps in Mikes on air and in print offerings.

He should get you back on quite honestly...mojo gone or not.

*edit* The comment about the difference between BHA phone in and a general "fans" phone in is bang on. The problem is there are a lot more BBC licence payers at Albion Games than there are at Lewes or Eastbourne Borough

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
*edit* The comment about the difference between BHA phone in and a general "fans" phone in is bang on. The problem is there are a lot more BBC licence payers at Albion Games than there are at Lewes or Eastbourne Borough

But the problem is you only get 1 or two of them ringing in. When we received calls from Crawley and Lewes fans, there was hell on on here with people saying " why do we want to listen to that xxxx"

I think it is a great shame that the old style came to an end ( although there was people again on here calling for it to be stopped) I remember one afternoon, Ian and I were swamped with calls and there was the Dick Knight interviews, Norman Baker etc etc...Yes there were some bad times, but on the whole it was a great experience and gave you a chance to meet people who were your childhood hero's...Eddie Gray at Leeds for example and Euwan Roberts( Swansea commentator) who was a hero at huddersfield in the 90's!
...and of course the Spearmint Rhino incident with Michel and the bloke phoning up from a Farm was just brilliant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here