Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mike Ward blog in the Indepenent

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If you are perfect then so be it.

Remember, we had someone on the phone in who was 100% Albion, passionate, knowledgeable, from the terraces, and it was NSC wot got him the sack.........so be careful what you wish for.
So the phone in has to be run by Bernard Manning's less funny southern cousin appealing to the lowest common denominator, or a tedious bore with his own agenda and wrapped up in his own self importance?

For fucks sake. There must be DOZENS of people who'd love that gig.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I haven't called him a twat.

Never said you did!

It's not even a case of having a different viewpoint. It's as though the Albion only came into existence in 2001. Fair enough he wasn't a fan before then but if you're going to talk or write in the official (as opposed to spouting off on your own blog that no one reads etc) public domain about the club from a fans perspective then at the very least do the research. He IS a journalist so should be able to do this fairly easily. Of course all fans have different memories and views on things, but it still isn't that tough to get a clue what went on. So, yes, moron.

Dunno, I started watching the Albion in 1974, must be honest I couldn't say much about pre that era. I could read up on it, but CBA.

I have no idea if anyone else stuck their hand up, and I suspect that neither do you.

Agreed

Yes, as far as BBC Sussex are concerned of course he's the perfect man. Media trained and a fan. Unfortunately he's also dull as f***ing dishwater. He's the radio equivalent of reading every single on of Ernest's Dick Tight posts on here for hours on end every Saturday. IMO of course, but from this thread I guess a few others think the same.

I find the phone in dull too, but the BBC want a safe non-controversial pair of hands.

As for Ernest, I love all his posts, and he is far more knowledgeable about the club than 95% on here when he wants to be............IMO of course.

It isn't about feeling superior either. The work he did for Falmer was great, and I agree pushing the stadium is going to be important after the first few games when the novelty wears off. Of course I want to see it full and the club progressing. What I really don't like though is when he is asked for a fans perspective on anything and speaks for all of us, rather than just himself. He manages to come across as the voice of the people every time. Ok, in print, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that the subs have got to it and made it that way.

I agree with you to a point, but he has said himself that he doesn't understand some of the viewpoints taken (the Palace one is an example), and that is a function of starting watching the club in 2001.

But as he does it on the radio then I'm really not convinced. It wouldn't be so bad if he was ever right! His lack of knowledge and history shows through all the time and makes us look f***ing stupid. If he was able to make it clear that this was his opinion only and not the common thinking of all of us then no problem.

Can't really comment, I have phoned in the show a few occasions after away matches, and wasn't that impressed with him to be honest, but that's a long way short of the hatred that some on here seem to have for him, which is hte point I have been trying to make all along.

I don't want to be the mouthpiece for the fans hence why I've not been on Roar, or written blogs, but I would rather those that reached the majority of non Albion fans at least reflected the actual mood around the town.

I don't think there is a 'mood' around town though, you only have to look at the disparate views taken on NSC to conclude that we are a broad church.

I must confess when Liz Costa used to be interviewed on TV/Radio I used to wince far more than when Ward is on, personally I prefer listening to Atilla, but you know you are never more than half a sentence away from a rant about Mrs Thatch when he is on!

If he was a locksmith, maybe yes! To use your analogy how about if you went to a locksmith that promoted himself the most, that was all over the radio and papers etc about his love for locks, but when you tried to discuss mortice locks all he wanted to talk about was swipe entry systems. What would you think?

I'm not sure how people think he promotes himself the most, surely as someone who is a self employed freelance journo he is entitled to make a living writing about whatever any editor asks him to fill space about?

I write a column for the local rag, and also work as an 'expert' on financial issues for local TV and radio, and a lot of the time it is utter shite hastily prepared to meet a deadline, which means that there are often errors, but frankly few people, if anyone, cares.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So the phone in has to be run by Bernard Manning's less funny southern cousin appealing to the lowest common denominator, or a tedious bore with his own agenda and wrapped up in his own self importance?

I'm sure you would be one of them, but it would mean you might have to attend a match.....:thumbsup:

Remember, we had someone on the phone in who was 100% Albion, passionate, knowledgeable, from the terraces, and it was NSC wot got him the sack.........so be careful what you wish for.

Was it? My recollection was that he or Hawesy made a derogatory comment about spackas on a BBC radio show and someone complained. Granted - it got blown out of all proportion on NSC but let's not start re-writing history, eh?

For the record, I don't give a flying shit about Ward, Arsenal, Millwall, his blog, his column or his radio show, spackas, window lickers, bobble hats or Harty.

Do you reckon it's possible to have a flying shit?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

:(

i wasnt that bad.
:p

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
:(

i wasnt that bad.
:p
I'm sure you weren't Dave. :thumbsup:

I'm sure you would be one of them, but it would mean you might have to attend a match.....:thumbsup:
Actually I would love that gig, and next year when I'm a STH, you never know, I might just apply for it.

Then people can take the piss out of me on here for hardly going in the preceding 3 years. Just don't expect me to then write boring pompous, self important blogs in The Independent without a point except to say everyone hates me because I didn't go for 3 years.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Was it? My recollection was that he or Hawesy made a derogatory comment about spackas on a BBC radio show and someone complained. Granted - it got blown out of all proportion on NSC but let's not start re-writing history, eh?

I think one person complained, then it binfested on NSC, giving those who have an agenda against Harty the opportunity to also write in to Aunty to add their shock and righteous indignation to the windowlicking fire.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think one person complained, then it binfested on NSC, giving those who have an agenda against Harty the opportunity to also write in to Aunty to add their shock and righteous indignation to the windowlicking fire.
But that's *always* how these things work.

The correct answer would be for Harty to have remembered that he was on BBC Radio and not to have used the term "windowlickers" in the first place.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think this isn't just about new fans is it? I'm sure I'm not the only former student who will consider themselves a huge Albion fan..but hasn't been to many games over the last few seasons. Coming out of the debt...which is hugely difficult...it's been hard to justify spending money on a ticket for what has been until the last year, mediocre football, at a very poor ground and travel from Chichester. The ticket prices at Falmer won't vary much on the Withdean...but with the way we're playing now, at a fantastic ground, the ticket will represent value for money. Surely in the current economic climate this is understandable...and I know that once we're in the new stadium, I can justify the season ticket price...I'm sure I'm not the only one, and I think we'll find a couple of thousand through that...and then with new fans? Brilliant...we should all be supporting our local sides surely.

Exactly and there are thousands just like you. A point which Mr Ward seems to have forgotten about. New fans are very different from fans like yourself and those that haven't been since the Goldstone days. Come one come all, just don't then go on the radio and pretend to be a superfan who represents all Albion fans views.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Has Mike Ward ever said that though?
To be fair, there aren't many of us on this thread complaining about him pretending to be a superfan are there.

Mike Ward's blog said:
Each week I co-host a football phone-in on my local station, BBC Sussex, which covers my own club, Brighton & Hove Albion. But according to some Brighton supporters I have no right to do this.

And why’s that, you inquire, not unreasonably? Because I used to support Arsenal.
But how many times have you heard or read on here that Mike Ward shouldn't be doing the phone in because he used to support Arsenal? Maybe one or even two people? But enough to justify this drivel? I think not.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I don't necessarily agree with the way this is going.

When Ian did it, and I helped out a few times, it was obvious to all concerned that the Phone In was ian's show. He is a extremely knowledgabe chap and what he doesnt know about the albion is not worth knowing.

When Levo and I did it together when Ian was away, we didnt get any calls ( 2 I think) after a JPT game with MKD.

Now the BBC have tried to do it with qualified broadcasters and to be honest it doesn't work. Mike tries his best, but he is on to a hiding for nothing.

personally, I think Budgie should do it with a fan, as I was/am. For those of you who saw Ian in action first hand, it is NOT easy! Juggling the calls and trying to generate calls when no-one is calling.

I just think the days of the phone in are long gone.

as Simster says, I would do it again at the drop of a hat....any fan would!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I just think the days of the phone in are long gone.

Yet the likes of 6-0-6 and TalkSport thrive on it, as do the local Radio stations here in Manchester.

FWIW, I don't listen to the phone in because I don't like Ward's style, and I've already said that I only read his book half way through for the same reason, but I find myself defending him because that falls short of making him a twat or twunt or superfan, which is some people.

Ultimately he is a fan of the Albion, just as is Dick Knight, Simster, Liz Costa, Ernest, Harty and many others, and in the footnotes of who saved the Albion and helped deliver us to Falmer, he will not get a mention, because he doesn't deserve one, unlike some of the others at the start of this sentence!

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I don't necessarily agree with the way this is going.

When Ian did it, and I helped out a few times, it was obvious to all concerned that the Phone In was ian's show. He is a extremely knowledgabe chap and what he doesnt know about the albion is not worth knowing.

When Levo and I did it together when Ian was away, we didnt get any calls ( 2 I think) after a JPT game with MKD.

Now the BBC have tried to do it with qualified broadcasters and to be honest it doesn't work. Mike tries his best, but he is on to a hiding for nothing.

personally, I think Budgie should do it with a fan, as I was/am. For those of you who saw Ian in action first hand, it is NOT easy! Juggling the calls and trying to generate calls when no-one is calling.

as Simster says, I would do it again at the drop of a hat....any fan would!

Good post - especially agree with both of the last two points.

Maybe John Byrne as host, PLUS a different fan every week would work? I'd love to have a go, as would many other fans possibly...

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
The fans phone-in isn't dead.. it just needs to be different. All Albion related media has it's place, and it's good to listen to on the way home from a match even if one disagrees with 99% of the things that are being said - it's still Albion related, which is better than nothing.

I doubt if Auntie Beeb will alter things now the season has started, but I think some variety would help... and as I said earlier, JB hosting plus A.N.Other fan every week might just work. It wouldn't take much to screen test people if the BBC are worried about getting what they might call 'the wrong type' of fan...I'd like to think most of us are articulate enough!

ChapManiA

Banned
Oct 25, 2004
Burgess Hill, West-Sussex

Mike's BEST is being up his own backside. He does not consider the listeners at all. He just cares about himself and his ego.

Whoever produces the Phone-In is as much to blame for not spotting the problem and sorting it.

But if we get rid of the drivel, there would be no NSC....

But NSC is not The Independent! Or the BBC. Or Talksport. It doesn't reach those numbers, and is not holding itself up as anything other than a BHAFC based message board.

Dunno, I started watching the Albion in 1974, must be honest I couldn't say much about pre that era. I could read up on it, but CBA.

1974 is essentially your lifetime though and it's fair enough that you don't know a lot about things that happened when you were under 12 or not even alive. However, you're also not writing or talking about the club on a regular basis and on a national level. This is where his ignorance IS an issue.

I find the phone in dull too, but the BBC want a safe non-controversial pair of hands.

Fine, I wish they would find another one.

As for Ernest, I love all his posts, and he is far more knowledgeable about the club than 95% on here when he wants to be............IMO of course.

He is, but that's not the point I was making. Ernest went through a stage of being a one joke poster here. I know his passion for and knowledge about the Albion, but you can't deny he doesn't always make that clear here. You could use what I said about Ernest and change it to US banging on about his life being shit, or WW and his constant moaning. If that was all you could read between 5 and 6 on a Saturday it would get very very dull.

I agree with you to a point, but he has said himself that he doesn't understand some of the viewpoints taken (the Palace one is an example), and that is a function of starting watching the club in 2001.

Then this is where some research would be good, and if he still doesn't get it don't talk about it!!

Can't really comment, I have phoned in the show a few occasions after away matches, and wasn't that impressed with him to be honest, but that's a long way short of the hatred that some on here seem to have for him, which is hte point I have been trying to make all along.

I don't hate him, I don't know him and others have said he's a nice bloke. I just would rather he wasn't on the phone in every week, and that he didn't use the Albion to further his career when the stuff he's coming out with is rubbish.

I'm not sure how people think he promotes himself the most, surely as someone who is a self employed freelance journo he is entitled to make a living writing about whatever any editor asks him to fill space about?

He is, and if that thing is the Albion then please make it clear that these are his views only.

I write a column for the local rag, and also work as an 'expert' on financial issues for local TV and radio, and a lot of the time it is utter shite hastily prepared to meet a deadline, which means that there are often errors, but frankly few people, if anyone, cares.

Again though it's all local and, with respect, is not as divisive or as likely to be read as something about the local football club.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I'm not perfect, far from it. But, I'm pretty damn good at what I do for a profession.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here