Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Memories of Withdean

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Unless I’ve missed it, no mention of the plastic ponchos :smile:

The Clash - White Man in the Hammersmith Palais and The Ruts- Babylons Burning being played over the tannoy before kick off.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
i sat there too, as did bozza, arthur (nearby anyway), papa lazaru, bwian, jim in the west, and 'father paul' (next to me). Happy days.

Cheer up barry fry, oh what could it mean?
For a . . . .
Fat cockney ******* and his....
Shit football teeeeeeem :lolol:

Fry loved it and always gave us thumbs up :bowdown:

are ya keepin up adkins?

No smiles from the bad loser, he appeared unrelaxed and wouldn’t look round.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is my memory failing me, or was there a mobile club shop in the form of a Renault Traffic (or equivalent) van on matchdays?

Yep. Heaven.

The first game one season was a preseason friendly vs Massive. My PhD student at the time was an Owl so we went to the game together. Years later he told me I was like a kiddy in a toy shop with that van. 'I'll 'ave one of those, and one of those. And two of those'. Spent about £150. Heaven.

It was such a massive step up from the dodgy vendors outside pissfilled. Official merch :love:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, he lived in one of the houses behind the away stand. He let the rockets off in his own back garden, but hidden by shrubbery,

My funniest memory of H block was the drunk being evicted by four stewards. He had fallen down on the steps halfway down, so the stewards took a limb each. The poor steward who got the blokes left leg, was left holding it, whilst the others tried to carry him further down. It was a false leg! We were in hysterics.

Was he knight who says 'Ni'?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYSMPjMVnAU

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
Only managed a few games most seasons when I was back in Brighton, though do recall an evening game that got stopped due to a squirrel on the pitch....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yep. Heaven.

The first game one season was a preseason friendly vs Massive. My PhD student at the time was an Owl so we went to the game together. Years later he told me I was like a kiddy in a toy shop with that van. 'I'll 'ave one of those, and one of those. And two of those'. Spent about £150. Heaven.

It was such a massive step up from the dodgy vendors outside pissfilled. Official merch :love:

It reminded me of the 70’s hut in the Goldstone NW corner, just north of the truncated West Stand. During boring games I’d pop round and buy random England or European Cup programmes. They also sold a wide variety of the badges people used to collect.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Withdean Screemer
Rocket man
Bobby Z
Gary Hart
Kerry Mayo
Richard Capenter
Guy Butters
Micael Kypers
Danny Cullip
Getting either rained on, snowed on or sunstroke
Program sellers
Porta cabin changing rooms and directors lounge
Atila playing his favourite records
That hat trick first game I knew we were going to walk the division
Flooded pitch sweeping it with Dick Knight
Litter picking round the streets post game
Somehow getting a free car parking pass allowing me parking in the players/directors area for the whole time we were at Withdean to this day I am not sure how that happened
Ian Hart fans phone in
Winning more than loosing

Hairs standing up on the back of my neck now....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBDhJr-MHaA

Ghost of Killer Reeves

Oct 3, 2020
Somerset
A balding Peter Ward at the first match v Forrest.
Neil Warnock.
Some twonk on the oppo’s subs bench giving the V’s up behind his back to the South Stand before they whitewashed the perspex.
Bob Brooker staring in disbelief up into the South Stand on one occasion when it was really rocking.
4 hour drive home.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
2002, home to Bristol City.No Zamora, Lee Steele up front. During the warm up Steele was kicking into the goal in front of the City fans who responded with raucous cries of ‘Zamora, Zamora’. Steele got the winner in front of the City fans and went batshit in celebration at them.
Can’t remember the year but a match v Sheffield Utd ... line of coppers with batons drawn to stop pitch invasion from the South Stand. Oh and we used to have our school sports day there in the 70 ‘s.

Was that Killer Reeves the art teacher? PM me for stories if it is.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Cardiff fans for their rather amusing chant

"I'd rather shag a sheep than be gay"

Right Back

Marseille was magic
NSC Patron
Sep 21, 2017
Brighton
Another one for the Man City pitch invasion. It was so unexpected as never thought it would happen that night. Can remember the City fans offer to buy us a ground.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
February 8th 2003 home to Wolves, we won 4-1, Paul Ince was playing for them, during the match Ince went down near the dug outs, he got a kick or the ball hit him in the nuts, he was getting some treatment :eek and someone sitting in the South Stand behind the dug outs shouted “ You’re not the f***** Guv’nor now Ince “ :)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Only managed a few games most seasons when I was back in Brighton, though do recall an evening game that got stopped due to a squirrel on the pitch....

After Nathan Jones left us to go to Yeovil, he returned as a opposition player. He was running along the line at the same time as a squirrel. The squirrel won.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
- missing a Nicky Forster goal because a wasp had flown down my shirt. It stung me twice
- a mate giving Micky Adams stick just before half time. Adams turned round and said “come back and give me stick at full time if we lose”. We did lose, my mate returned but Micky wasn’t interested
- 2-0 defeat to nine men Walsall
- Zamora’s full league debut versus Plymouth. Goal and MOTM
- That Dagenham game
- Coming home from a 2-1 home win against Barnet on October 9th 2007. My wife started getting contractions within half an hour and the next day, a Brighton fan was born

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Shouting 'get your hair cut!' at Freeman everytime I walked down the running track - whilst I feel I'm free from prejudice, I can't stand long hair on a man.
My daughter's 1st home game when Slade kept us up on the last day.
Bad memory was final run in with the racist that sat a few rows behind me. Usually argued him down, but that day was Leicester and he kept chanting 'I'd rather be a Paki than a Turk!' I shouted to **** off and that my wife was Turkish. His response was that his wife was Indian. Had to back down when I realised he had a dozen mates that day and I was their with my lesbian mate Naomi - it was going to be a brief physical confrontation. I was so upset that I didn't watch another home game for several years.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Taking part in several promotion and staying-up pitch invasions was fun, including the 2011 game when there were two .... a premature version 5 minutes early :lol:.

Often to the PA sound of "PLEASE STAY OFF THE PITCH" ... did Samrah used to have to mic?

Still dont get why the prawns in the north started shouting off - spoil sports - everyone was celebrating for 5 mins then we’re gonna get off for the lap - think I was one of the very very few invading the pitch from the north that night :lol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The pre match carvery was usually the best part of the day but there were some fantastic matches at withers I remember.

On the odd occasion the crowd got involved the whole stand shook with the feet stamp song.

My one overriding memory was being pulled out of my seat by 2 coppers and a steward , led down to pitch side and told I was on the verge of being ejected for making homophobic gestures at Millwall fans half a bloody mile away ! .

I had absolutely no idea why as I'd done no such thing , but the copper told me a Millwall fan had spotted me making sexually suggestive gestures! and he felt scared and vulnerable :eek: .

I had my 9 year old son with me so they let me back to my seat , I wish they'd have lobbed me out as it pissed down all day and I'm sure we lost the game as well !

Go on - tell me how much the carvery was.. I know it was cheap cheap cheap - something like £3.69?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here