Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Memories of Withdean

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Fabrizio Ravanelli 'warming up' ( use the term loosely) when playing for Derby.

Has anyone ever seen a more disinterested footballer ? He just didn't want to be there!

As an aside did Derby have to wear our training kit because of a colour clash - or am I thinking of another game..?

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
I remember a disputed offside decision during a game against Notts County in their favour. A lone voice stood and shouted..

"He is a linesman for the county."

Cue a smattering of applause from the North Stand.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
-chanting "FREEMAN! FREEMAN!" at one of the groundsmen who had long curly hair like Darren Freeman
-seeing a young Zamora emerge and not quite believing that an actual talented player played for us
-"GET THAT BOARD OUT THE WAY"
-chanting "Andy Steggle, is a wanker, is a wanker" while he was trying to do a broadcast on the track
-Swindon play off
-Chesterfield
-Andy Petterson falling on his arse with a Gillingham striker clean through on goal

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
Martin Perry dressed as Austin Powers and dancing around the track to the movie music with Gullys girls behind

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Is my memory failing me, or was there a mobile club shop in the form of a Renault Traffic (or equivalent) van on matchdays?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Many fond memories of the Withdean as it is where I began my Albion fandom after moving DFL. Pretty much all of my Albion mates come from that era, my companions in Row Z, the REMF flag crew and the denizens of the Sportsman and Basketmakers.

The Cheaterfraud and Swindon games stick long in the memory as does the Lee Steele winner against Bristol City which to this day we are all still convinced was offside.

A few bad times, I'm still angry at the 9 man Walsall debacle, but so, so many good times. It was a rubbish stadium, but it had a charm all its own and the fanbase were united in the fight for Falmer. It still stuns me how successful we were on the pitch at Withers given that we were being bled dry lewes district council and were always on the edge of financial ruin.

A wistful viewing of the Withdean Years DVD is always a pleasure.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Did anyone at the time appreciate how much we might miss those days? There was definitely a much stronger connect between club and fan base. Maybe it was because we all shared the terrible facilities whereas now the top brass at the club are sitting pretty in their all inclusive hospitality suites while the rest of us queue for 20 minutes to pay silly money for a burger. Then they have the cheek to expect us to pay £15 to watch on telly during the hardest times in living memory.

Anyway... my personal highlight was the City League cup game. Not so much for the result. Just as the winning penalty went in me and a mate vaulted the hoarding to get on the pitch - sadly a burley female steward had other ideas for me and rugby tackled me to the deck. Fair play to her as I was a big lump in those days. Mud and sand all over my Lacoste knit. She then realised the crowd was flowing onto the pitch and let me join.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
oh and of course another thing that sticks in my mind is the old people down Tongdean lane waving us off after the last game

Bless 'em :love:

221901_10150171501452763_5130197_n.jpg

230149_10150171499632763_2586267_n.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In 12 years we won League 2, League 1, League 1 playoffs, and League 1 again. 4 promotions and two relegations.

On low budgets.

Even in 2011, we had the 6th largest budget, yet ran away with League One. Stains squad had cost £8.4m, ours £1.4m.

Several Albion managers, with astute buys from the Board, worked minor miracles.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Did anyone at the time appreciate how much we might miss those days? There was definitely a much stronger connect between club and fan base. Maybe it was because we all shared the terrible facilities .

That's because the players were on first name basis with all the fans :)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I used to sit in the SS behind the benches, the guy next to us was a retired cop didn't rate Muzza from the beginning. All friendly, I tried to persuade him otherwise. At some point in the last 18 months, he turned round to me and said "You were right all along, what a player".

Separately, you could shout out at useless players such as Hoyte and they heard you. "WAKE UP HOYTE"

I sat there too, as did Bozza, Arthur (nearby anyway), Papa Lazaru, Bwian, Jim in the West, and 'Father Paul' (next to me). Happy days.

Cheer up Barry Fry, oh what could it mean?
For a . . . .
Fat cockney ******* and his....
Shit football teeeeeeem :lolol:

Fry loved it and always gave us thumbs up :bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here