Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Memories of Withdean

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I remember a game where a loan voice spent the whole game randomly screaming "come on Brigh'on" during quiet moments. Eventually someone replied, "who's Brian?", followed by a chorus of "I'm Brian" "I'm Brian" and of course "I'm Brian and so's my wife".

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Shuffling off round the running track after the game to the plaintive sounds of GOSBTS being played by a lone piper on a kazoo over the tinny tannoy :lol:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Burning the roof of my mouth EVERY time on my chicken pie.
Walking along London Rd with hundreds of other fans. Great feeling.
The posh "rugger" couple behind me yelling "Come on lads" in a plummy accent. Endlessly.
Singing for Zamora.

Also used to go running there once a week. I never got used to being down on ground level.

Last edited:

Jan 30, 2008
I used to sit in the SS behind the benches, the guy next to us was a retired cop didn't rate Muzza from the beginning. All friendly, I tried to persuade him otherwise. At some point in the last 18 months, he turned round to me and said "You were right all along, what a player".

Separately, you could shout out at useless players such as Hoyte and they heard you. "WAKE UP HOYTE"

What Division was this ???
Regards
DF

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Random memories:

- The "He wore a yellow jacket" chant aimed at any overly-officious matchday steward
- Watching Phil Stant glide across the turf
- A bottle being luzzed from the back of the stand towards the pitch
- The echoes under the Tongdean Lane railway bridge
- Andy Steggall turning up to report for local news
- Lee Steele (I think) scoring the winner deep in stoppage time

Happy, happy days.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bundling out of the Brewery Tap or the Crown & Anchor 20 mins before KO, half-hoping for a 5 or 5A bus to come along to save you the 20 minute walk to the ground

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
The pre match carvery was usually the best part of the day but there were some fantastic matches at withers I remember.

On the odd occasion the crowd got involved the whole stand shook with the feet stamp song.

My one overriding memory was being pulled out of my seat by 2 coppers and a steward , led down to pitch side and told I was on the verge of being ejected for making homophobic gestures at Millwall fans half a bloody mile away ! .

I had absolutely no idea why as I'd done no such thing , but the copper told me a Millwall fan had spotted me making sexually suggestive gestures! and he felt scared and vulnerable :eek: .

I had my 9 year old son with me so they let me back to my seat , I wish they'd have lobbed me out as it pissed down all day and I'm sure we lost the game as well !

I remember that game for a different reason!
It was one of my annual trips to the UK to watch a game and see family.
Took my son and parked the hire car in Carden Avenue area. We were 1-0 at half time and I remember watching these big black clouds approaching as Millwall scored twice. I got absolutely soaked too!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Talking of Millwall, when Dennis Wise managed them, H block made him laugh when we chanted,

Oompah Loompah, dippity do
You've got a midget managing you.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
2002, home to Bristol City.No Zamora, Lee Steele up front. During the warm up Steele was kicking into the goal in front of the City fans who responded with raucous cries of ‘Zamora, Zamora’. Steele got the winner in front of the City fans and went batshit in celebration at them.
Can’t remember the year but a match v Sheffield Utd ... line of coppers with batons drawn to stop pitch invasion from the South Stand. Oh and we used to have our school sports day there in the 70 ‘s.

Steele was about 7 yards offside.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
This could be your easiest book yet [MENTION=2647]gripper stebson[/MENTION], it's sort of written itself :thumbsup:

I was thinking the other day what a brilliant documentary series / movie could be made about our journey from The Goldstone to the Premier League - a truly epic footballing tale. If anyone on here is willing to stump up £100,000 I'll do it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here