Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Memories of Withdean

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Does anyone know who the Withdean Screamer was?

Yep - H / J block. Bloke from eastbourne with dark hair. Used to go with his mate a big bald fella. Good lads. Prob seen them at the Amex but can’t remember - we used to tell him when to do it :lol: I’m sure there was a whole phone in when Harty asked every caller what their thoughts were on the withdean screamer :lol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Fabrizio Ravanelli 'warming up' ( use the term loosely) when playing for Derby.

Has anyone ever seen a more disinterested footballer ? He just didn't want to be there!

As an aside did Derby have to wear our training kit because of a colour clash - or am I thinking of another game..?

Got a lot of stick from H / J and I’m pretty sure he didn’t actually come on? And Mayo scores the winner in a 1-0 win?! Pls tell me I’m right!!!!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Still dont get why the prawns in the north started shouting off - spoil sports - everyone was celebrating for 5 mins then we’re gonna get off for the lap - think I was one of the very very few invading the pitch from the north that night :lol:

People who’ve lost all their fun. The same in 2017 in the build up to the Wigan match, some got hot under the collar in a NSC thread about “a few pitch invaders potentially spoiling it for everyone else. They should receive long bans from the club”.

Yeah, all 20,000 of us, cheered by Tony Bloom.:lol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
People who’ve lost all their fun. The same in 2017 in the build up to the Wigan match, some got hot under the collar in a NSC thread about “a few pitch invaders potentially spoiling it for everyone else. They should receive long bans from the club”.

Yeah, all 20,000 of us, cheered by Tony Bloom.:lol:

It’s not hard to invade a pitch, have 5-10 mins of pure memories and ecstasy, and then leave the pitch for the lap of honour! Really not hard! Obviously Falmer is different with the bit the players can celebrate from

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
Brilliant memories.....its incredible to think it was our home for 12 full seasons.........for me Steele in the last min, Chesterfield 2001 and the league 1 winning final games under Poyet were memorable times......

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
Yep - H / J block. Bloke from eastbourne with dark hair. Used to go with his mate a big bald fella. Good lads. Prob seen them at the Amex but can’t remember - we used to tell him when to do it :lol: I’m sure there was a whole phone in when Harty asked every caller what their thoughts were on the withdean screamer :lol:

He had quite longish hair at the time if my memory serves me correctly.......quite a set of lungs on him

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Happy Days. Attilas great punk record collection.

Loads of fantastic games, with justifiable, proper pitch invasions.

No fans could imagine moving to the Amex, but knew it would never be the same intimate atmosphere, when we moved to Gillingham/Withdean. we became a mini industry thereafter, the soul was left at The Goldstone

Just tweaked a few typos.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Got a lot of stick from H / J and I’m pretty sure he didn’t actually come on? And Mayo scores the winner in a 1-0 win?! Pls tell me I’m right!!!!
Pretty sure you're right.

Crap game, poured down, Mayo scored a very late winner at the H/J Block end.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
What a thread this is. Some random memories:

Danny Cullip in around 2003 decided to do a massive backheader once a game.

Ben Roberts 'and awaaaeey'

Leon Knight scoring twice on his home debut when we thought selling Zamora would mean the end of our success.

There's a few songs that will always remind me of a crackly PA too - Ash, Burn Baby Burn being one. The Clash too obviously. And Heather Small before the last home game of the season that, along with the first game of the season, always felt like it was played on a wonderful summers day despite the rest of the season being played out in the pissing rain.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
A rough time for the club but some of my favorite Albion memories! Loved that Cullip led team - Swindon pens has to be up there as the top game.

Loved our seats, right on the half way line under the tv gantry, cracking (if slightly soggy) view.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A rough time for the club but some of my favorite Albion memories! Loved that Cullip led team - Swindon pens has to be up there as the top game.

Loved our seats, right on the half way line under the tv gantry, cracking (if slightly soggy) view.

Cullip at the Cardiff play off final was my MOTM by a mile.

Faultless, had their cocky forward line in his pocket.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

His timing was immaculate. He got it spot on just as the opposition player took the corner kick.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
- Queuing at the Withdean for 3 hours for play off final tickets
- I remember a portly middle aged chap walking to his seat in front of the stand shortly after kick off with a younger, fairly pretty lady. A fairly loud chorus of ‘internet, you got her on the internet’ was a little harsh given he was one of our own fans!

cheesy77

Feb 18, 2009
Great reading. I made it to the Goldstone once and Gillingham a handful of times, so Withdean is where my love for the club began in earnest.

Sitting in that ridiculous little stand under the clock which must have had about 20 seats max. I think I sat in all 5 home stands at one point or another. Ending up with a season ticket in Block B of the South stand for the last 2 seasons.

Watching the warm up from the running track, eating fish and chips.

Walking along the dirt track alongside the railway line back to Preston Park Station.

The dodgy tannoy, that wasn't even allowed to kick in until 2.45.

The Amex is great but I miss Withdean, its a big part of the club's history and many great memories.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here