Votes: 99 40.7%
  • Fence sitter

Votes: 22 9.1%

• Total voters

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
sullyupthewing said:
it has nothing to do with money or Falmer.
YOUR OUT.

You must be the only person on here who doesn't think we need some new players then.

I really don't see how McGhee could be blamed for yesterday: we gave away two stupid early goals, one when we couldn't defend a corner and one when El-Abd made a schoolboy error. How could McGhee have foreseen either event?

To say that it's nothing to do with money is completely ludicrous: we're playing a centre back at right back, a right-sided midfielder at left back and a midfielder up front.

There are people howling for McGhee to bring on CKR and yet the amount of venom directed to the player on NSC this season has been such that the Argus and CKR himself have commented on it. After months of abuse, he's suddenly Rooney and Henry combined and only has to come on to win the game.

The players put in a poor performance yesterday and they probably know it.

The problem for McGhee is that he has so few options. What can he do? Bring back Lynch (another centre back playing out of position)? Perhaps bring in Tom Fraser into the middle? Bring back Hinsh before he's fully fit?

Players need a little competition for their places to keep them sharp, as it stands right now the players know they're pretty much playing next week no matter what they do. It's not a great state of affairs.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Gwylan said:
You must be the only person on here who doesn't think we need some new players then.

I really don't see how McGhee could be blamed for yesterday: we gave away two stupid early goals, one when we couldn't defend a corner and one when El-Abd made a schoolboy error. How could McGhee have foreseen either event?

To say that it's nothing to do with money is completely ludicrous: we're playing a centre back at right back, a right-sided midfielder at left back and a midfielder up front.

There are people howling for McGhee to bring on CKR and yet the amount of venom directed to the player on NSC this season has been such that the Argus and CKR himself have commented on it. After months of abuse, he's suddenly Rooney and Henry combined and only has to come on to win the game.

The players put in a poor performance yesterday and they probably know it.

The problem for McGhee is that he has so few options. What can he do? Bring back Lynch (another centre back playing out of position)? Perhaps bring in Tom Fraser into the middle? Bring back Hinsh before he's fully fit?

Players need a little competition for their places to keep them sharp, as it stands right now the players know they're pretty much playing next week no matter what they do. It's not a great state of affairs.

You have a centre back playing at right back who was caught out for second goal due to a gash pass which a regular full back would have made, time and again the lack of a left back has cost Brighton this year.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
KinkyNormanBaker said:
You have a centre back playing at right back who was caught out for second goal due to a gash pass which a regular full back would have made, time and again the lack of a left back has cost Brighton this year.

I'd agree with that but McGhee has acknowledged many times that we need a left back. We were forced to sell our regular one last year for financial reasons and have been unable to find a replacement.

It's not hard to understand why, there's a real dearth of them in the country, even England were playing a centre back at left back a few months ago. There are very few about - and Brighton would be one of the last club's a decent back would come to.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Gwylan said:
I'd agree with that but McGhee has acknowledged many times that we need a left back. We were forced to sell our regular one last year for financial reasons and have been unable to find a replacement.

Yet he doesn't even seem to have made an approach for one - we've heard of numerous strikers he's been after, but not one full-back that I can recall. Letting go of Watson and Jones is looking foolish now.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
McGhee's not only lost his left back but also his key utility player, had his influential club captain out injured just at the time we were making progress and hasn't been able to get anyone in either permanently or on loan due to financial problems. If, as seems likely, he's also had his player money purloined by DK for Turienzo then I'd say he's done really well to keep us 3rd from bottom.

On the more positive side, we have a couple of excellent kids coming through - coupled with those we already have in the side. Gatting had his first full game yesterday and, by all accounts, had a good one. He can only get better and could be just the catalyst we need to start us back on the tracks.

And finally, if we really are that hard up then there's no way we can afford to sack him anyway. So why don't all the moaners and snipers just direct their energy toward supporting the team. You never know, it might just help.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Jim D said:
and hasn't been able to get anyone in either permanently or on loan due to financial problems.

So why don't all the moaners and snipers just direct their energy toward supporting the team. You never know, it might just help.

Didn't we bid 100k or so for Tom Brighton? In which case, it would seem to suggest that we have got the money, but for whatever reason, players don't want to come and play for McGhee.

And on point two, why should the two be mutually exclusive? I don't quite understand this strange concept that people can't get behind the team at the match completely and come on here and criticise the manager at the same time.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Repugnant Toad said:
Didn't we bid 100k or so for Tom Brighton? In which case, it would seem to suggest that we have got the money, but for whatever reason, players don't want to come and play for McGhee.

It's not so much McGhee but more to do with the fact that players don't want to come and play in a converted athletics stadium for a struggling club that pays poor wages in one of the country's most expensive areas property wise.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Repugnant Toad said:
Yet he doesn't even seem to have made an approach for one - we've heard of numerous strikers he's been after, but not one full-back that I can recall. Letting go of Watson and Jones is looking foolish now.

Both worse than Reid at LB, nuff said?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Repugnant Toad said:

Do you really think Paul "one-pace" Watson and Nathan "one-trick" Jones (who spent most of his Albion career in midfield anyway) would have strengthened the defence??

I think I'm going to give up NSC. It's becoming pathetic.

One week a player's crap. The next week he's brilliant and McGhee's a clown for not playing him. I tell you, if I played for the Albion and read the shit on here, I'd be wanting a new club next season for sure.

I'm not sure we'll stay up, but having seen some of the muppets that have managed this club in the past, I wouldn't be rushing to boot out McGhee.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Errrrr - no. Watson's slower than Mayo and was only in the side in the lower divisions for his set piece delivery. And Jones wasn't naturally a defender anyway, so doesn't that kind of nullify your point? Aside from the fact he ran about like a headless chicken for most of his Albion career.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
KinkyNormanBaker said:
Yes they would have - Better than a right midfielder and a centre nidfielder playing at full back dont you think?

No, Jones was a lightweight (can't even get into Yeovil's team) and milk turns faster than Watson.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
trueblue said:
Errrrr - no. Watson's slower than Mayo and was only in the side in the lower divisions for his set piece delivery. And Jones wasn't naturally a defender anyway, so doesn't that kind of nullify your point? Aside from the fact he ran about like a headless chicken for most of his Albion career.

A bit like hart and robinson then?

Least he was left footed and would have put it in the box when given the time and space el abd had yesterday

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
bhaexpress said:
No, Jones was a lightweight (can't even get into Yeovil's team) and milk turns faster than Watson.

Really?

Port Vale: Goodlad, Abbey, Pilkington, McGregor, James, Cummins, Dinning (Sonner 46), Innes (Smith 45), Doherty (Husbands 77), Lowndes, Constantine.
Subs Not Used: Brain, Rowland.

Booked: James.

Goals: Constantine 52.

Yeovil: Weale, Lindegaard, Amankwaah, Lockwood, Jones, Terry (Harrold 54), Barry, Cohen, Poole (Webb 73), Gall (Davies 74), Jevons.
Subs Not Used: Collis, Reed.

Booked: Lockwood.

Att: 4,732

Ref: C Oliver (Northumberland).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Oh dear this poll had 75% wanting McGhee out at one stage last night. Comforting that all NSC posters are knee jerk dreamers

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
bhaexpress said:

Season 2005 - 06

Competition Apps
(as sub) Goals Yellow
Cards Red
Cards
League 25 (4) 0 1 0
FA Cup 3 (0) 0 0 0
League Cup 2 (0) 0 0 0

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here