Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee wants another striker

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
KinkyGoebels said:
and whos fault is that?

I think its extremely dodgy splashing out on a player without seeing him as MM allegedly did with el Turo - apar to buying a car on ebay without test driving it so I conclude it MMs decision and if we are having a blame culture the blame lies with MM.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Rougvie said:
The way this has been conveyed to me before is that the Albion have always been wary of taking 17/18 yr old players in on pro contracts because it runs at odds with the academy system that is already in place not much point in having an academy and going through the ranks if someone comes in on decent money after a few good games in the lower leagues.

Hsnt Adams had a trial with West Ham ? I thought he was going there anyway ?

Not heard the West Ham thing, will investigate.

Agree with the Academy thing but we should be open to signing good prospects on short contracts because the Academy can miss players.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
KinkyGoebels said:
I cant afford it but im going to the next two games :jester:

150k is the most Brighton have spent on a player since when? and to seemingly waste it is stupid - but you can carry on backing mcghee fully.
It was a gamble, we're yet to see if it's a waste or not.

Do you think MM would have spent 150k on Turienzo if he could've got a proven Championship goalscorer for the same price?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Silent Bob said:

Do you think MM would have spent 150k on Turienzo if he could've got a proven Championship goalscorer for the same price?

very true. People have been far too quick to judge McGhee and the Turienzo signing. It is very unfortunate that he has been injured and presumably isnt ready fitness wise. Doesnt help with a lack of friendly matches....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
BarrelofFun said:
very true. People have been far too quick to judge McGhee and the Turienzo signing. It is very unfortunate that he has been injured and presumably isnt ready fitness wise. Doesnt help with a lack of friendly matches....

Worryingly I'm not sure MM is that impressed with what he's seen. Why would he prefer McPhee against Stoke when El Turi was also on the bench??

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004
I think this Byrne geezer looks to be our only hope. Is a prolific goalscorer, which is what we need and should be cheap

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
KinkyGoebels said:
£40 a ticket + £15ish quid to get there, thats before beer food etc.

Well why not just support your local team then?

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Silent Bob said:

I think thats a good point, you see with CKR there is obviously something there but unfortuantely not many goals and he was about 150k, the market for these strikers is just so expensive as there are so few of them and unfortunately (incase anyone had forgotten) we just dont have the money!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
not sure what all this 'another' milarkey is . . .we just need a striker full stop . . .one who can score goals . . . . . and doesnt mind playing in a shit ground for £400 a week for a few years

zefarelly said:
not sure what all this 'another' milarkey is . . .we just need a striker full stop . . .one who can score goals . . . . . and doesnt mind playing in a shit ground for £400 a week for a few years

Absolutely, they'll be battering the door down to get here :lolol:

I think McGhee is on the right track - the lesson of recent times with Blayney, Henderson and McShane is that we need a good lot of untried and untested IRISH lads (to coin a phrase) :)

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
London Irish said:

I think McGhee is on the right track - the lesson of recent times with Blayney, Henderson and McShane is that we need a good lot of untried and untested IRISH lads (to coin a phrase) :)

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:

Some more tried and tested Frenchmen would be my preference, at least we SIGN them not borrow them :clap:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
mccammon is the answer

KinkyGoebels said:
I cant afford it but im going to the next two games :jester:

150k is the most Brighton have spent on a player since when? and to seemingly waste it is stupid - but you can carry on backing mcghee fully.

It's true El Turi might turn out to be another Malongo, I'll give you that. But we just need to wait a bit longer to be sure. I reckon it's Leon's good form plus the injury that has kept him out :)

Yes, of course I will still back McGhee fully because when you operate in the market of untried players, a lot won't come off - that's inevitable, it's unrealistic to expect otherwise, you are buying potential not the finished product. It's only when most of these signings don't come off that criticism of McGhee will be deserved.

He's well in credit with the likes of Reid, Carole, Currie, Henderson, Blayney, Frutos, Nicolas and McShane.

The only real flop is Malongo.

Big Mac, well, let's say opinion is divided on this but let's see what he does when he comes back :)

Jury still out on CKR, Dodd and Jarrett but a lot of encouraging signs from them, whereas we are obviously waiting for such signs from El Turi.

Last edited:

seagull in ireland

Dec 10, 2003
jason byrne is a very good player,who would score at championship level,of that i have no doubt.don't forget shelbourne are a fully proffesional club,and the eircom league is of a good standard now with many sides beating clubs in europe on a regular basis.there is also a very good forward playing for bray wanderers call eamon zayed,who was wanted by steaua bucharest,and went on loan to a norweigan first division club,byrne is the more complete forward,and an international,i personally think he would be a great signing.:albion:

1066gull

Go ship Mcammon to MK Dons for a fee while we can.

Maybe we should look at Ballack..........:p

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
Why did we never try to sign Trevor Benjamin again? i would have him back tomorrow, if only there wasnt a transfer window:(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here