Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee wants another striker

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
KinkyGoebels said:
The team he had at millwall was the best team to play in the div two for a very long time, it would have taken a Jeff wood like effort not to get them up.

Apart from Leon, do you believe there is anyone connected with the Albion who isn't crap? Just wondered like

Talking about players/management signed rather than on loan before you say McShane :)

Last edited:

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
KinkyGoebels said:
The team he had at millwall was the best team to play in the div two for a very long time, it would have taken a Jeff wood like effort not to get them up.

My Reading-supporting father in law has often said (through gritted teeth) that McGhee is the best manager they have ever had. I think he was harshly treated at Millwall - they haven't excatly set the world alight since he left have they???

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It really hacks me off when people go on about players who are banging them in outside the Championship, and assume they'd do the same job for us if only McGhee wasn't such a dumbass.

There's a big difference between being a prolific scorer in Leagues One and Two and being a cast iron success at this level. Defenders are terrible by comparison down there.

Maybe a certain Mr L Knight would back me up on this....

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
dunno said:
My Reading-supporting father in law has often said (through gritted teeth) that McGhee is the best manager they have ever had. I think he was harshly treated at Millwall - they haven't excatly set the world alight since he left have they???

If you off load the likes of Ifil, Ward, Harris, Warner, Sadlier retired, cahill and reid you are going to struggle.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Icy Gull said:
Apart from Leon, do you believe there is anyone connected with the Albion who isn't crap? Just wondered like

Talking about players/management signed rather than on loan before you say McShane :)

Butters, Chippy, Hammond, Knight, CKR, Nicolas, Carole, Fruity, reid and Hinsh

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
KinkyGoebels said:
Butters, Chippy, Hammond, Knight, CKR, Nicolas, Carole, Fruity, reid and Hinsh

4 of those players were bought in by McGhee, and 2 bought through the youth whilst he was in charge.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
First team managers cant really be praised that highly for youth teamers.

Hinsh was given debut by coppell i believe as was Hammond

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
KinkyGoebels said:
First team managers cant really be praised that highly for youth teamers.

Hinsh was given debut by coppell i believe as was Hammond

Hammond was on his way out until McGhee came in and gave him a run in the side.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Albion Dan said:
4 of those players were bought in by McGhee, and 2 bought through the youth whilst he was in charge.

If we want to be picky, the only player McGhee has actually brought through the ranks is Cox. Hammond made his debut under Adams at Swansea (I think), Virgo made his debut under Adams in the 2000/01 season, Harding under Hinshlewood, as with Adam Hinshlewood, McPhee under Adams, again I think at Swansea.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Uncle Buck said:
If we want to be picky, the only player McGhee has actually brought through the ranks is Cox. Hammond made his debut under Adams at Swansea (I think), Virgo made his debut under Adams in the 2000/01 season, Harding under Hinshlewood, as with Adam Hinshlewood, McPhee under Adams, again I think at Swansea.

Virgo was also on his way out of the club until McGhee came in. Coppell didn't give him a chance and the same with Hammond so McGhee deserves a fair amount of praise for bringing these players on.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
_wilka_ said:
Virgo was also on his way out of the club until McGhee came in. Coppell didn't give him a chance and the same with Hammond so McGhee deserves a fair amount of praise for bringing these players on.

My point with regards to the earlier post was they were not brought through by McGhee. I agree Virgo was on his way out, a case of some managers do not like or rate players. Hammond I do not know, I suspect Coppell would have had to play him in the end, as Jolly got injured, one of Carpenter or Oatway was out and Rehman was only on loan, but it is all guess work.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
_wilka_ said:

He went on loan doesnt mean he was on his way out, seriously was he better than Cullip, ingamarson, blackwall or a very inform Kerry?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
KinkyGoebels said:
He went on loan doesnt mean he was on his way out, seriously was he better than Cullip, ingamarson, blackwall or a very inform Kerry?

At the time no, but there was a case with Coppell that his face just did not fit, it happens, that was clear when at Oldham Hinsh started and neither Butters or Virgo were in the squad.

Last edited:

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
KinkyGoebels said:
If you off load the likes of Ifil, Ward, Harris, Warner, Sadlier retired, cahill and reid you are going to struggle.

Likewise Cullip, Harding, Virgo, Currie, Roberts (retired), Rodger (retired), Blackwell (retired), Piercy (retired)

Uncle Buck said:

That is garbage and you know it. The achievement is turning them into regular first-teamers, not giving them isolated debuts.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
That is garbage and you know it. The achievement is turning them into regular first-teamers, not giving them isolated debuts.

That was not the original statement though.

With regards to Hinsh he was a regular under Coppell in Div 2 and seemed to fall out of favour when McGhee arrived, only to reappear last season. Harding was also playing regularly under Coppell and McGhee continued his develpment. The 2 he brought back from the dead were Virgo and Hammond.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As for Coppell not rating Virgo, I'm not sure that was the case. He had access and funds for better players at the time, and brought them in..as all good managers should do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here