Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee wants another striker

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Father Jack said:
Why did we never try to sign Trevor Benjamin again? i would have him back tomorrow, if only there wasnt a transfer window:(

He was on 17K a week at Leicester.

E

enigma

Yorkie said:

REALLY ?

17K a week?

I mean, not a bad player, but 17K a WEEK?

A sign that Chairmen lost the plot I think

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
That was what a Leicester fan posted on another forum.
It was reckoned that Micky let Leicester share the wages when we had him on loan.

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
Yorkie said:

Still since then hes played for Northampton and Peterborough surely they are not paying him anywhere near that. Although i didnt realise he was on quite that amount at Leicester but i knew they were paying half of his wages whilst he was on loan to us.

E

enigma

Yorkie said:
That was what a Leicester fan posted on another forum.
It was reckoned that Micky let Leicester share the wages when we had him on loan.

The mind boggles.

Father Jack said:
Still since then hes played for Northampton and Peterborough surely they are not paying him anywhere near that. Although i didnt realise he was on quite that amount at Leicester but i knew they were paying half of his wages whilst he was on loan to us.

I thought Big Trev turned our season around that year. Wouldn't mind seeing him back here but maybe McGhee has spotted something that could be a problem, he certainly hasn't settled at any clubs since Leicester.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
London Irish said:
I thought Big Trev turned our season around that year. Wouldn't mind seeing him back here but maybe McGhee has spotted something that could be a problem, he certainly hasn't settled at any clubs since Leicester.

Maybe. Or he might just have overlooked him.

:)

Zebedee said:
Maybe. Or he might just have overlooked him.

:)

Yes, that's right. Of course you'd forget about a striker who scored 5 goals in 10 games and ensured you got off to a successful start in your new job. Why call him Magoo, why not Alzheimer's? :)

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
London Irish said:
Yes, that's right. Of course you'd forget about a striker who scored 5 goals in 10 games and ensured you got off to a successful start in your new job. Why call him Magoo, why not Alzheimer's? :)

I wouldn't be so bold.

:D

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
I think we have a lot of potential with players like CKR and Robinson.

Given that while McGhee was manager at Millwall, he brought in Kevin Davies and Dion Dublin on loan and signed Steve Claridge, I think McGhee’s record at bringing in experienced strikers or ones whose career needs a boost is to some extent proven.

The hard part might be convincing them to come here, but if he manages that I’m sure he can improve our attack with the addition of some experience.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Dougal said:
According to the Argus. Bloody hell how many strikers do we want at the club. Doesn't say much for the money we've shelled out for strikers already.
What concerns me most though is he apparently has been in Ireland looking for one. I don't think plucking some obscure player from Shelbourne or Limerick is going to be the solution.
At some point we are going to have to off load some strikers if we sign another

CKR
Knight
McPhee
McCammon
Robinson
Turienzo
??????

The amount of strikers we want is exactly the same as we've wanted since Bobby Z left. One. Cross a line thru McPhee, McCammon, Turienzo and (IMHO) CKR. Just get an old lag in who knows where the goal is and can hit the back of the net at least a dozen times between now and the end of the season. If the Albion's top scorer this season is once again a defender/utility player, then the manager's not doing his job properly.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Exiled in Exeter said:
I think we have a lot of potential with players like CKR and Robinson.

Given that while McGhee was manager at Millwall, he brought in Kevin Davies and Dion Dublin on loan and signed Steve Claridge, I think McGhee’s record at bringing in experienced strikers or ones whose career needs a boost is to some extent proven.

The hard part might be convincing them to come here, but if he manages that I’m sure he can improve our attack with the addition of some experience.

Mcghee got the sack at millwall for buying crap players and messing around with the team and playing people out of postion but he did bring some decent players in at times, saying that if you failed with Cahill, reid, warner, harris, livermore, ward etc you deserve to be sacked.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
KinkyGoebels said:
Mcghee got the sack at millwall for buying crap players and messing around with the team and playing people out of postion but he did bring some decent players in at times, saying that if you failed with Cahill, reid, warner, harris, livermore, ward etc you deserve to be sacked.

Tell me how did McGhee fail at Millwall. He was the victim of too much expectation brought on by the success he had at first. He got promoted first season and then to the play offs in the next year. He brought on a lot of youth players who have made a lot of money for Millwall. I agree their fans thought he failed but what did Dennis Wise do with that side. He took them to the FA Cup final but only because they did not draw a Premiership side all year. He also had two mid table finishes just where Mark McGhee left the side.

So, in conclusion, Mark McGhee over achieved at first rather than under achieving.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Kinky you dont know what your talking about.

I live in Millwall land bigtime and those supporters dont have a bad word to say about McGhee now and all regret him leaving them.

The way they see it is that there was lots of crap going on behind the scenes and McGhees departure was a smoke screen for the appaling way the club was being run.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Albion Dan said:
Kinky you dont know what your talking about.

I live in Millwall land bigtime and those supporters dont have a bad word to say about McGhee now and all regret him leaving them.

The way they see it is that there was lots of crap going on behind the scenes and McGhees departure was a smoke screen for the appaling way the club was being run.

It all depends on who you talk to like most things, the 5 or 6 fans i know who are season ticket holders didnt rate him, anyway i didnt say the fans didnt rate him in first post did i?

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Finchley Seagull said:
Tell me how did McGhee fail at Millwall. He was the victim of too much expectation brought on by the success he had at first. He got promoted first season and then to the play offs in the next year. He brought on a lot of youth players who have made a lot of money for Millwall. I agree their fans thought he failed but what did Dennis Wise do with that side. He took them to the FA Cup final but only because they did not draw a Premiership side all year. He also had two mid table finishes just where Mark McGhee left the side.

So, in conclusion, Mark McGhee over achieved at first rather than under achieving.

The team he had at millwall was the best team to play in the div two for a very long time, it would have taken a Jeff wood like effort not to get them up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here