Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee trying to sign FOUR players

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Albion manager Mark McGhee revealed plans today to strengthen his relegation-threatened squad with four new signings during the January transfer window.

He hopes to land a forward, a central midfielder and a leftback in addition to the anticipated return of Aston Villa goalkeeper Wayne Henderson on a permanent basis.

McGhee discussed potential targets during a lengthy meeting with chairman Dick Knight yesterday.

"We are looking at certainly a striker and, with Charlie Oatway's injury, a midfielder," he said.

"We are still, regardless of Joel Lynch's promising debut at Southampton, looking at the leftback situation and then there is the goalkeeping issue."

McGhee wanted a striker before his latest fall-out with Leon Knight, who is now expected to depart this month.

Knight, having handed in a written transfer request before Christmas, admitted his Albion career is over when he revealed exclusively in The Argus yesterday details of a bust-up with McGhee on the team coach to Southampton.

Knight was due to be on the bench for Monday's 2-1 defeat at St Mary's but McGhee left him out after the former Chelsea marksman voiced his disapproval over the way that McGhee changed the rules to Kerplunk in a team bonding session, causing Knight to controversially lose to Bob Booker in the semi final of the tournament.

McGhee is refusing to get involved in a war of words with Knight and is staying tight-lipped over the coach incident.

"As far as I am concerned he's said it all. He made it quite clear he wants to leave the club.

"There is a Board meeting on Thursday. His request will be discussed then and we'll go from there. I am making no other comment about what he said."

Albion remain optimistic about completing a permanent deal this month for former loan signing Henderson which will bring the 22-year-old Irishman back to Withdean for a fee of about £30,000.

Knight reported for training yesterday but experienced duo Guy Butters and Richard Carpenter were given the day off to rest after playing in all four matches in eight days over Christmas and the New Year.

Paul Reid, Dean Hammond and Colin Kazim-Richards, suspended for Monday's third Championship defeat on the trot at Southampton, are all available for Saturday's FA Cup third round tie at home to Coventry.

McGhee wants a victory for a possible boost to his spending power. "The FA Cup has come at a good time from a financial point of view," he said. "If we get through we can maybe get ourselves a game which allows us to buy a player or two."

Tickets are still available for the Coventry clash. Under ten's pay £1 if accompanied by a full-paying adult in the Family Stand and admission is £27 for an adult plus a ten-to-16-year-old.

Tickets can be bought in person from the ticket office, 5 Queens Road, Brighton, or via the ticketline on 01273 776992.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I assume they will keep their cards close to their chest to avoid excess competition. We will just have to wait and see.

I am sure 4 players means Knight will definitely be on his way...

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Knights transfer will certainly free up a decent amount of money for wages.

He has to be the highest earner in the side i would think.
4k a week im guessing.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I doubt we'll get anyone other than Henderson. It depends how hard the club are "trying" to sign players.

:(

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
i also think Kuips is on about the same.

With Henderson coming in, Kuips out to Boston?

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
"We desperately need two or three players and the chairman is working hard to find me the funds for the transfer window.”

So where is he looking? Why haven’t we already got some funds ready? Everyone knows when the window is. We have had those extra seats in for a while now (ie additional funds).

We have offered £30k for Henderson. Villa will want more Especially as Soton want at least £50k for Blayney (who is on his way to Oldham, I believe).

The club is a circus. But who are the clowns?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
The Auditor said:

The club is a circus. But who are the clowns?

Where does one start?

:lolol:

Last edited:

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Intersting quote from Blayney in the Argus, last para is the bit which I think hits home.

From The Argus

Blayney has played his last game for Albion
by Andy Naylor

Alan Blayney conceded today his hopes of rejoining Albion on a permanent basis are over.

Southampton's third choice goalkeeper could be on his way to Oldham or Doncaster instead.

The Argus revealed yesterday that Albion are poised to buy former loan signing Wayne Henderson from Aston Villa for about £30,000 during the January transfer window.

Blayney, whose second loan stint with the Seagulls finished just before Christmas, believes he may have been priced out of a move along the South Coast.

Southampton are thought to be demanding £50,000 for the 24-year-old Northern Irishman.

"I haven't heard a thing from Brighton," Blayney said. "They don't have any money and I don't think the chairman (Dick Knight) wants to part with any money at all.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
BarrelofFun said:
So Blayney was in all the boardroom meetings?

Do we have a boardroom? I'm surprised that we can afford such a luxury.

:wave:

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The Auditor said:
So where is he looking?

Under the south seats for all the loose change that falls out of fans pockets

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
The Auditor said:
I don't think the chairman (Dick Knight) wants to part with any money at all.
That is disruptive to our club, i hope the poisoned dwarf that is Alan Blayney never sets foot in Withdean again...

Oh sorry, i forgot that only applies to Leon. :jester:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'll believe it when it happnes. I think this is just McGhee pointing out that he knows where the weaknesses in the side are and would like to solve them.

Trouble is, I bet he has no money to do it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here