Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee trying to sign FOUR players

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The Large One said:
I think it was more a case of being caught on the hop. Brighton were looking to extend his loan, which would have been better financially and Arsenal were willing. That's when Reading came piling in, and Brighton had to react. All rather unfortunate.

I'd still prefer to blame Reading than us for that situation.

sorry to piss on your parade, but I was talking to Zamora during the kick about/warm up at Norwich when he said to me ( I kid you not)....get people to chant his name a bit as he doesn't know wether to stay with us or not and he doesnt know what the fans think of him.....( paraphrasing obviously)

it was at the time when he had been approached by Reading via Arsenal and he was making his mind up

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
dave the gaffer said:
sorry to piss on your parade, but I was talking to Zamora during the kick about/warm up at Norwich when he said to me ( I kid you not)....get people to chant his name a bit as he doesn't know wether to stay with us or not and he doesnt know what the fans think of him.....( paraphrasing obviously)

it was at the time when he had been approached by Reading via Arsenal and he was making his mind up
Surely not! Sidwell's blaming our apparent lack of support for him for buggering off? Jeez, that's low.

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
Desperation rather than mistake. Coppell kept pissing Dick Knight about, and in the end he became desparate. It didn't seem that bad after the first two games as well... :(

Jeff Wood was pretty bad...

Again, rose-tinted view of DK's performance, this time in the managerial market... Coppell or Tinselhead?... hmmm... difficult choice, that one... how do you know that SC was pi$$ing DK about?... because DK told you, perhaps?... or, perhaps DK was going for the cheap and crap option?...

And me a DK fan... outrageous that I should criticise a mistake he has publically admitted... :)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
B.W. said:
Again, rose-tinted view of DK's performance, this time in the managerial market... Coppell or Tinselhead?... hmmm... difficult choice, that one... how do you know that SC was pi$$ing DK about?... because DK told you, perhaps?... or, perhaps DK was going for the cheap and crap option?...

And me a DK fan... outrageous that I should criticise a mistake he has publically admitted... :)
He didn't admit it as a mistake, he said he 'regretted it', especially because Hinsh hand't worked out. The Arsegas reported that he apologised - which he didn't do.

How do I know SC was pissing him about? Oooh, that's telling. :)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
He didn't admit it as a mistake, he said he 'regretted it', especially because Hinsh hand't worked out. The Arsegas reported that he apologised - which he didn't do.

Semantics... expressing regret suggests he knows he messed up big-time... let's face it, it cost us our CCC status (or whatever it was called then!)...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
With the Sidwell situation everybody iorgets the link up of Sidwell & Coppell who took him on loan from Arsenal at Brentford and then to us and then after Sidwell joined Reading he was followed by who Steve Coppell is it not possible that somebody ???? had suggested to SC that he could be on his way to Reading very soon. Consequently he didnt push too hard to keep Sidwell here.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
BensGrandad said:
With the Sidwell situation everybody iorgets the link up of Sidwell & Coppell who took him on loan from Arsenal at Brentford and then to us and then after Sidwell joined Reading he was followed by who Steve Coppell is it not possible that somebody ???? had suggested to SC that he could be on his way to Reading very soon. Consequently he didnt push too hard to keep Sidwell here.

No because in January 2003 Pardew was taking Reading to the play offs and not linked with any other club, so no link to find.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The Large One said:

And don't forget the Cameroon manager who was due at Gatwick airport and DK had arranged the press conference to reveal the new manager (who promptyly changed his demands within minutes of landing)

Still that's nearly 3 years ago and don't let few facts get in the way of opinions about Dick Knight.

Let's also not forget the 3.5 million we have had to spend on legal fees over the last 4 years.

Withdean and lack of facilities are a big factor in the choices of players.
So too are wages. It is ok saying find the transfer money but then wages are a big factor.

Leon on 4K a week? Don't make me laugh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here