Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee Must Stay - Argus comment

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
The Large One said:
Why? Not that I am advocating his appointment down here, but winning Sunderland the Championship by a street was quite an achievement.

Oh, and getting Ireland to the World Cup Finals as well.
Sunderland had a squad that could have got its self promoted, and Ireland had (for once) a very strong line up of players. Sunderland have disintegrated, as did the Irish. He seems to be perfectly happy to "get there" but hasn't the faintest idea how to handle it when he does.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
Well Holloway took them up and has kept them up for the last 2 seasons. Last summer he spent around 150k on a defender and brought in a few frees, we spent more than that and got relegated.

I seem to remember Holloway spending a bit more than that in the last few years.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Uncle Buck said:
At Bristol Rovers there were some odd goings on, all the strikers being sold in a month etc, but I would say he has rebuilt his reputation somewhat.
Fair comment. Suppose its unfair to saddle somebody with a problem that may well not have been all his doing. Still think he's a weirdo though :lolol:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I cannot believe some pro McGhee people are saying Holloway would be a bad idea because he has fallen out with the odd player.

Pot calling the kettle BLACK.

Better not tell McGhee, he will probably fall out with the kettle...

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Richie Morris said:
I cannot believe some pro McGhee people are saying Holloway would be a bad idea because he has fallen out with the odd player.

I think what they are saying is that how is he any better, as this is one of the things MM is slated for

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Richie Morris said:

Or play it on the left wing.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
blockhseagull said:
I think what they are saying is that how is he any better, as this is one of the things MM is slated for

Seconded.

The point Richie, was replacing McGhee with a man of 'similar traits', but less experience overall.

The boot is on the other foot ;)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sorry, nobody better than McGhee has been suggested yet.

Holloway, nutter who's teams play shit football and has many of the traits criticised in MM.
McCarthy - falls out with players more than McGhee and legends to boot :lol: Will hold out for a bigger club imo
Rosenior - Oh my God, how lucky were we to avoid that one ?
Bob Booker - Not a chance, fecked up big time when we were 6 points clear.

Forget anyone in a job, this club makes money selling managers not paying for them .

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
TonyW said:
Sunderland had a squad that could have got its self promoted, and Ireland had (for once) a very strong line up of players. Sunderland have disintegrated, as did the Irish. He seems to be perfectly happy to "get there" but hasn't the faintest idea how to handle it when he does.
That implies that Sunderland didn't need a manager to get promoted.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Icy Gull said:
Sorry, nobody better than McGhee has been suggested yet.

Holloway, nutter who's teams play shit football and has many of the traits criticised in MM.
McCarthy - falls out with players more than McGhee and legends to boot :lol: Will hold out for a bigger club imo
Rosenior - Oh my God, how lucky were we to avoid that one ?

Forget anyone in a job, this club makes money selling managers not paying for them .

Agree with that 100%... especially the Rosenior bit :D

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
July 1 2004 to June 30 2005 QPR paid £320935 in fees. Ian Evatt and Tommy Doherty were also buys that Holloway made. So with agent fees and player fees I pretty sure Holloway has spent a fair bit more than MM.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Les Biehn said:
July 1 2004 to June 30 2005 QPR paid £320935 in fees. Ian Evatt and Tommy Doherty were also buys that Holloway made. So with agent fees and player fees I pretty sure Holloway has spent a fair bit more than MM.

Also Holloway hasn't sold 3m worth of players in that time

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
blockhseagull said:

IMO Holloway is far too unbalanced to be given the job of seeing this club through a very very dodgy period in it's history. I just know that DK will not expose us to a nutter managing the team.

He has some great one liners and hilarious post match interviews, wouldn't appreciate them from a Brighton manager though.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
blockhseagull said:

Very good point Blockhseagull. Do the MM out Holloway in camp think that volatile muppet would have poked up with that.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
MM had better win the home games before Christmas then!

MM has his good points. He tries things out. Virgo as a striker wasn't that hard though. He could control the ball better than McPee.

OGH at full back was a limited success. I thought OGH would play the opposition on-side but he never did that. How about Chippy for right back?

I don't blame MM for Turienzo. Somehting funny going on there ???

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Icy Gull said:
IMO Holloway is far too unbalanced to be given the job of seeing this club through a very very dodgy period in it's history. I just know that DK will not expose us to a nutter managing the team.

He has some great one liners and hilarious post match interviews, wouldn't appreciate them from a Brighton manager though.

Yeah i think what i find funnest is the fact he isn't in our dugout

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here