Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee Must Stay - Argus comment

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Uncle Buck said:
The only one of that short list that would have cost was Rosenior and he was not appointed.

We were never going to pay another club at the time.

We also asked to speak to Danny Wilson i remember so that would have cost.

The point is at the time there were some good managers to be had... can't think of too many out of work at the moment

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
TonyW said:
We have a ready-made replacement waiting in the wings. He's served his apprentiship under the likes of Taylor, Coppell and Adams. The players love him (and actually respect him) he's a decent guy and he's albion through and through. What's more he won't cost us much to appoint. Give Bob Booker his chance.

f*** no.... when he was in charge after Coppell went it was a disaster... far too friendly with the player in my opinion

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
goldstone said:
Agree that we could and in fact should have survived this year. The reason we didn't in my opinion is because McGhee:
1. Should have decided on his best strike partnership and stuck with them for a dozen games,
2. Made too many bizarre substitutions that lost us games, and
3. Fell out with too many of his players. Leon I can forgive him for, not the others. Any "manager" who falls out with that many members of his staff is a bad manager.
[/QUOTE

Spot on.]

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
I am sorry, but when Coppell left us, McGhee was still employed by Millwall, so he was not even a name being banded. Cotterill and Gray were out of work, so were linked and the fact that Dowie was not working under contract at Oldham meant he was spoken about, but McGhee only came into the frame once he had left Millwall.

Alright then, just after Coppell left. Who of the standard of Cotterill & Dowie is available now or may be available and would even come to us.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
blockhseagull said:
f*** no.... when he was in charge after Coppell went it was a disaster... far too friendly with the player in my opinion
Surely that's got to better than not being on speaking terms with half the bleedin squad though.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
That would be the problem, attracting a manager to us at the moment. We aren't exactly a tantalising prospect to any ambitious manager. But that's no excuse for leaving a muppett in charge.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
blockhseagull said:

The point is at the time there were some good managers to be had... can't think of too many out of work at the moment

Spot on.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Les Biehn said:
Alright then, just after Coppell left. Who of the standard of Cotterill & Dowie is available now or may be available and would even come to us.

Bigger capacity at Withdean. Decent young players coming through, Falmer looking positive. I would say it should not be too hard to get someone in.

Also, was Dowie as highly regarded before he went to Palace? Probably not.

We need to get a good young manager in and not miss the boat like we did with Dowie.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Danny would have to be a possible. Seems to know what he's doing, and the fans would obviously give him a chance.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
TonyW said:
What an unalduterated pile of shite. Clearly knows nothing about the game, or anything else for that matter! If we keep MM for another season, or another week to be honest, then we must be idiots. He's ruined team spirit (which was one of the strongest in the country - and got us through some very tough games) he hasn't a clue which team to pick, he's tactically unaware, and does nothing to lift players when we are losing. He's done it at every club he has mismanaged, and he needs to go now, before we end up playing Stockport or Macclesfield next year.
Why do people insist on saying this? :nono:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Uncle Buck said:
Well Holloway will be available in the summer. Will get us organised and motivated, more than we seem to be at present. Then there are the sorts McCarthy out of work.

Holloway.... you serious ?

Falls out with players, uses the press to slate his players, plays players out of position... all the things the MM outers use to call for MM head

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
blockhseagull said:
Holloway.... you serious ?

Falls out with players, uses the press to slate his players, plays players out of position... all the things the MM outers use to call for MM head

At present we seem to look disorganised and he is the sort of manager that can do.

QPR fan sitting behind me and he is struggling to think of players he has fallen out with and with regards to players being played out of position, other than Santos he cannot think of any.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Holloway is shit, more erratic team selection than MM. I would be surprised if McCarthy would come here, despite the improvements at Withdean and a young team he would have no money and the now very tiresome ongoing Falmer saga. Dowie was highly rated due to his time at Oldham where he done a very good job despite all their financial troubles.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Uncle Buck said:
At present we seem to look disorganised and he is the sort of manager that can do.

QPR fan sitting behind me and he is struggling to think of players he has fallen out with and with regards to players being played out of position, other than Santos he cannot think of any.
He's been known to kick his fair share of players off the team bus in the past.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here