Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee Must Stay - Argus comment

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
blockhseagull said:
Nope

I think MM is a safe pair of hands, us being relegated wasn't his doing and i think people are unable to accept that right now we can't cope in the championship and it has to be someones fault

How was it not his doing?

He picks the team, he picks the tactics, he is there to motivate the players, to make changes when the tactics are not working and he fell short on all of those.

So the relegation was his fault.

The squad he had in September had enough in it to stay up, but the incompetancies at top got us relegated.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Uncle Buck said:
How was it not his doing?

He picks the team, he picks the tactics, he is there to motivate the players, to make changes when the tactics are not working and he fell short on all of those.

So the relegation was his fault.

The squad he had in September had enough in it to stay up, but the incompetancies at top got us relegated.

Not purely his doing, squad was not good enough and the players have not been good enough.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Uncle Buck said:
I would say after the game at Elland Road that the squad was good enough, if it had been used to its strengths, something that never happened.

I think on our day, we were good enough to stay up, but then the same could be said for the other two relegated teams.

With such a young squad and young players, playing in core positions, we were bound to be inconsistent. Alot of our guys, hadn't played such regular football before so they were always going to tire.

Any correlation between decent results in the first half of the season and less in the second?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Uncle Buck said:
I would say after the game at Elland Road that the squad was good enough, if it had been used to its strengths, something that never happened.

Cannot judge the squad on one game.

We stayed up by the skin of our teeth last season and then sold our top scorer and only recognised left back who was competant at this level.... how was the squad good enough

Grunty

Jan 16, 2004
Worthing
I agree with Mr Naylor.
A well written piece.
Can't argue with the facts.

We are a League Two team.
Now we can look forward to winning some matches.
[ And promotion again ?]

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
blockhseagull said:
Cannot judge the squad on one game.

We stayed up by the skin of our teeth last season and then sold our top scorer and only recognised left back who was competant at this level.... how was the squad good enough

Not just one game, but around that period we were looking comfortable, but then it start to go wrong, due to not reacting to issues, falling out with players and buggering around with other bits and bobs.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Uncle Buck said:
Not just one game, but around that period we were looking comfortable, but then it start to go wrong, due to not reacting to issues, falling out with players and buggering around with other bits and bobs.

You say comfortable but still weren't winning games were we ?

And why is it MM fault for falling out with players

Last edited:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Uncle Buck said:
In fairness after the game at Elland Road at the end of January 05 we only needed about 6 more points and to an extent we made hard work of getting these.

So then MM must have been doing a fantastic job till then ?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
blockhseagull said:
You say comfortable but still weren't winning games were we ?

And why is it MM fault for falling out with players

We were not killing games which was a worry, but we did not look out of our depth.

Managers and players will not always see eye to eye, but you hope will work through these issues. Occasionally a player is shipped out due to this, but the number that seem to have happened with us is a worry. It leaves us next season with 3 players that potentially we will have to pay and McGhee will not play.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Uncle Buck said:
We were not killing games which was a worry, but we did not look out of our depth.

Managers and players will not always see eye to eye, but you hope will work through these issues. Occasionally a player is shipped out due to this, but the number that seem to have happened with us is a worry. It leaves us next season with 3 players that potentially we will have to pay and McGhee will not play.

Kuipers, Jarrett and ????

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Uncle Buck said:
He was fulfilling his remit,, but then it seemed to go wrong and he seemed to struggle to stop the rot.

His remit.... :lolol: :lolol:

He was doing a very good job..if any other manager had been doing it you would be praising them

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I think it is correct to say if MM played his best team, best formation and best tactics then we would have stayed up but he didn't do all of these things all of the time. But name a manager who does.

the Realist

Feb 5, 2006
Les Biehn said:
I think it is correct to say if MM played his best team, best formation and best tactics then we would have stayed up but he didn't do all of these things all of the time. But name a manager who does.

I wuld say Coppell ... but then again he had a rather big chip on his shoulder about Virgs

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here