Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McFauls blasts Wilkins' "terrible man-management skills"

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
For me there is no smoke without fire. Enough players have spoken out, and there have been enough whispers not to really doubt this anymore. Wilkins - quality coach, shit manager.

Trouble with that theory is that it's all players who were shown up to be not good enough that are criticising.

So, the manager wasn't cooing at them with wonderful compliments all the time, argh, poor 'ickle lambs.

Sounding like the reserve team dressing room has been a complete binfest for months. Shame they weren't using their energies to knuckle down and EARN a place back in the 1st team.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Trouble with that theory is that it's all players who were shown up to be not good enough that are criticising.

So, the manager wasn't cooing at them with wonderful compliments all the time, argh, poor 'ickle lambs.

Sounding like the reserve team dressing room has been a complete binfest for months. Shame they weren't using their energies to knuckle down and EARN a place back in the 1st team.

it sounds to me that any player who doesn't get what he wants is blaming the person he feels most to blame. That has been happening since december 07 with the seeming support of the manager at the time. Perhaps some of those who blame him now feel they can have their say?

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
Do you really think there is anything in that article other than a pissed off player who had his chance, didn't do enough and was packed off back to Ireland? All the article does is offer him the opportunity to have a public dig at the manager, which I don't think is necessary. Sure, there is a "hint of negativity" from the released players. What a surprise...

Had his chance??? That's one of the main points of the article, he didn't get a chance, he came on for a few minutes against Crewe and after that, don't remember him coming on at all.

Dandyman

In London village.
its cos he's got an irish accent!

girls love all that, and he could pretend he knows westlife or something

Would he have to sing and that as well? The Irish are quiet good at singing and dancing but it generally means a bloody great big ship is about to sink, I think.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
2007/8 (FL1) - Average home attendance = 5936
2006/7 (FL1) - Average home attendance = 6047
2005/6 (FLCh) - Average home attendance = 6802
2004/5 (FLCh) - Average home attendance = 6426
2003/4 (FL1) - Average home attendance = 6247
2002/3 (FLCh) - Average home attendance = 6650

Overriding mythology perhaps?

What's mythical about it? It's fact that you have just presented yourself?

It's not just about average attendances either is it? The fact that we were watched by less than 5,000 people on at least 2 occassions (maybe more I can't remember), and until the back end of the season when it was all too late, a real sense of apathy surrounding the club.

Wilkins had issues around man-management. That transferred itself into the relationship with his employers. The man can be prickly we know that, he always has been, particularly in interviews. There needed to be something to boost interest in the club, and DW did himself no favours in January, so the end had to come.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Had his chance??? That's one of the main points of the article, he didn't get a chance, he came on for a few minutes against Crewe and after that, don't remember him coming on at all.

Yes, had his chance in training/reserves and clearly didn't make enough of an impression. Still he "knows for a fact that he's going to succeed" :rolleyes:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I have not read the whole thread .......but its always been MHO that he might have brushed up a bit on his man management skills.

all that said his is a good coach.........but maybe not a manager

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I suspect Naylor will be interviewing Teddy Maybank next and somehow blaming his cortisone injection problems on Dean Wilkins

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Interesting article.

To an extent it's all a bit meaningless now - an ex-player bleating about an ex-manager, but it is further evidence that Knight had good reason to sack Wilkins on the grounds that he was lacking in the inter-personal department.

There have been various reports of player unrest over recent times, but you have to look at how many of those players have gone on to bigger and better things. Very few is the answer - most of those with something to say have seen their careers go backwards.

Henderson, McCammon and Harding have all left under a cloud to teams currently above us, but they are outnumbered by the likes of Leon, O'Callaghan, Savage, Reid, Bertin and Hammond. McFaul is just the latest in a long line.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There may well be man management deficiencies on the part of Wilkins but I suspect no manager is perfect and he was just learning. Of the 10 released at te end of the season how many have slagged of Wilkins? Butters and Mayo don't seem to have been critical and they have played for numerous managers.

As for Hammond, the club would'nt give him what he wanted so of course he is going to bleat. Not sure I have heard any quotes from Savage criticizing Wilkins directly and as for O'Callaghan, he is a gobshite who has caused trouble at every club he has been at so I don't give any credence to anything he says. McFaul may well not have got a chance but maybe that was because we were still in the shout for the play-offs and not the time to experiment. Imagine the shit heading Wilkins way if McFaul had played and cost us points and we weren't in with a shout with only two games to go! As for Reid, serial fringe player and serial injured player so no wonder he is pissed off.

As for Naylor, he is only doing his job but he has consistently had an anti-Wilkins slant to stories every since his mate was deposed. Whilst it may be nice to have a pro BHA reporter, I seem to remember reading Vinicombes reports and wondering whether I was at the same game. So, catch 22.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
maybe thats why he was sacked
and the answer why we didnt get promoted

Maybe it was why he was sacked, but having a grumpy McFaul (as well as Hart and Reid) sat in the ressies having a whinge about the "nasty man who won't let me play ball" didn't prevent us from winning promotion.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
Yes, had his chance in training/reserves and clearly didn't make enough of an impression. Still he "knows for a fact that he's going to succeed" :rolleyes:

So did Paul Reid, he didn't get a chance on the pitch either, and in my opinion is a lot better than some of the useless stuff Wilkins put out (Martot for instance).

I'm not saying he's good or even if he is 'going to succeed' I'm just saying he wasn't given a chance on the pitch. Not just that, but also how he was treated sounds appalling (he may be angry, but why would he make things up).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For McFaul to have got game time he would have had to leapfrog some decent players. Who's to say he wasn't bought as injury cover, cover that wasn't needed as it turned out?

In the run-in there were never any matches where we could afford to experiment, and by the time the Swansea match came about Wilkins and Knight had made up their minds.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
judging from what mcfaul, reid and hart have now said, as well as from what tlo has posted on this thread, id say it is pretty obvious that wilkins had very limited man management skills

i just wish andy naylor would write about the flowers at withdean and what kind of washing powder ken brown uses as opposed to getting these revealing and interesting stories

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
So did Paul Reid, he didn't get a chance on the pitch either, and in my opinion is a lot better than some of the useless stuff Wilkins put out (Martot for instance).

I'm not saying he's good or even if he is 'going to succeed' I'm just saying he wasn't given a chance on the pitch. Not just that, but also how he was treated sounds appalling (he may be angry, but why would he make things up).

I've just read it again. I still don't get this appalling crap. He didn't impress enough, so didn't get a chance. I would imagine that he didn't train with the first team squad on the day before a game because he WASN'T IN the first team squad.

Perhaps Mr McFaul is disappointed he didn't cut it and was looking for someone else to blame. He has clearly tried to pin it on the Slovakian woman and Wilkins is just another target :)

We had an outside chance of making the play off's up until the second to last game. Should Wilkins have been offering opportunities to players like McFaul during crucial games in March and April? Perhaps he might of got a chance last season when the season petered out early, but Deano had to stick with HIS best eleven right up to the death (not your best eleven, not mine - his).

As for Paul Reid, as you have said, that's your opinion. However, it clearly wasn't the opinion of Dean Wilkins who has worked with Paul Reid long enough to make up his own mind. Is a couple of games at the back of the season going to change an opinion formulated over several years at the club? It certainly didn't for Kerry Mayo who performed admirably when he "got the chance" and still had the grace to leave quietly with his head held high when he didn't make the cut.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Given the fact that we miraculously finished SEVENTH despite Wilkins apparently being the worst manager in the history of football, next season should be an absolute piece of piss for Adams.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here