Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McFauls blasts Wilkins' "terrible man-management skills"

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Given the fact that we miraculously finished SEVENTH despite Wilkins apparently being the worst manager in the history of football, next season should be an absolute piece of piss for Adams.

He' under a shit load of pressure from day one. Not reaching the play-off's has to be deemed a failure and the bookies have us at 20-1! Still, if he sorts out the living arrangements for bit part players the club will be moving forward...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What nationality of bird would have been acceptable to Shane? Swedish? Brazilian?

................ We finished seventh last season, the manager was ousted and replaced with Adams. He has to improve on seventh or the club is going backwards.

Sorry but no. This has already been explained on another thread - apologies to Tadger if I've got this wrong but his reasoning goes like this:
"Micky Adams is so much more able and experienced that wherever we finish next season it will of course be higher than where we would have been if DW had still been manager".
OK then?

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Player has bad time at club and slates manager shocker.

What's mythical about it? It's fact that you have just presented yourself?

It's not just about average attendances either is it? The fact that we were watched by less than 5,000 people on at least 2 occassions (maybe more I can't remember), and until the back end of the season when it was all too late, a real sense of apathy surrounding the club.

Wilkins had issues around man-management. That transferred itself into the relationship with his employers. The man can be prickly we know that, he always has been, particularly in interviews. There needed to be something to boost interest in the club, and DW did himself no favours in January, so the end had to come.

I used the wrong word here. The point I was trying to get over, as LB pointed out a few weeks ago, was that there was no large decline in overall league attendance last season (-1.8% approx) and the post on which I was commenting (by BOF) implies that the major (overriding) reason for DW's dismissal was the decline in attendance. In my opinion the 1.8% (=111 per game) is insigificant and our inability to fill the ground for the past six seasons may be caused (certainly in part) by a number of other factors that are not part of the team manager's remit.
On your other points:
1) Relevance of average (ie overall) attendances? I don't have an opinion on this but from a business perspective I would have thought that maximising the annual ticket/gate income was something the club should be looking at.
2) Wilkins' man-management competencies? I've only met the man twice and I have no experience of these. However, I am sceptical about treating gossip, reports etc from ex-employees, local journalists with a known history of personal agendas, funeral directors and most NSC posters as fact.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Sorry, I should have added some further text but got caught up in some trivial work. I meant that there has been a gradual decline in attendances (500 a match from our previous short stay in the league £150k+ loss of revenue).

PLUS the dark cloud that seems to hang over Withdean now. Adams is a populist choice and I feel that he has been brought back to rejuvenate the fans, as opposed to just the team (I hope he can). Back in the first few seasons, the sun always shone, someone always got sent off for the opposition, Skint shirts were all about the city and we actually made some noise at Withdean.

Still with us, grandad? Why don't you read my post properly you senile old gimp? I said there is NO way any of us could know what Wilkins would have achieved next season. He could have won the league, he could have taken us down, who knows. It is my opinion that Micky will ensure the squad of players he has will finish higher than they would under Wilkins. I didn't make any claims about where that would be. Still, carry on misinterpreting posts and spending your nights changing usernames on the internet. Wow, you're one crazy guy.

As I said in the post - if I've misunderstood then you have an apology; I'm still waiting for yours.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sorry but no. This has already been explained on another thread - apologies to Tadger if I've got this wrong but his reasoning goes like this:
"Micky Adams is so much more able and experienced that wherever we finish next season it will of course be higher than where we would have been if DW had still been manager".
OK then?

I think you're overlooking the new FACT, that League 1 was 'absolute shit' last season, but will be just about the hardest its ever been next year. Wilkins failed by only reaching 7th in the circumstances, whereas king Mickey will be performing miracles to keep us up, frankly.

I think you're overlooking the new FACT, that League 1 was 'absolute shit' last season, but will be just about the hardest its ever been next year. Wilkins failed by only reaching 7th in the circumstances, whereas king Mickey will be performing miracles to keep us up, frankly.

Exactly, but I've already been censured by the Plastic Fanny tonight for misquoting him (supposedly).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here