Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McFauls blasts Wilkins' "terrible man-management skills"

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I remember Trolley's outburst on the phone in but who else actually targeted MM in their complaints and what was it they said about him? I genuinely don't remember.

I recall CKR slagging off the club and LK also slagging off the club but what was said about MM himself?

Leon Knight, CKR and a certain Paul Reid spring to mind. All of them did it whilst AT the club.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Bas Savage has a problem with his own valuation wherever he goes hence he's constantly on the move.

McFaul may or may not have been any good but the people on here who'd seen him in reserve games didn't seem to rate him. Seems that Irish players who don't make it here get home and kick off for some reason but as I said earlier, I suspect a measure of spin in these reports.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Not if we keep rolling out nobodies to slag him off.

Exactly. As much as this is just a story in a paper it's not exactly going to help in the ongoing contract negotiations between the chairman and Wilkins who, no matter what, is still a very good coach.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Not if we keep rolling out nobodies to slag him off.

What are you talking about?
By "we" I asume you mean the club, which is just bollox. Why would the club rope in some now ex players to do articles for the Argus slating Wilkins, it's just not going to happen. And as for nobodies, you may have a case with McFaul but Hart and Reid are senior pros.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
decided element of spin IMO but also suspect that there is some truth behind it. Wilkins is a good coach but managing is a whole different arena

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
decided element of spin IMO but also suspect that there is some truth behind it. Wilkins is a good coach but managing is a whole different arena

I find it strange that when your gauge a manager at every other club we all accept its a results based business.

Wilkins was successful in any terms, but because of the the comments by a couple of undistinguished released players, some seem to be questioning this years undoubted success.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Proves DW was not all that. Harty said a similar thing when he got frozen out

It certainly proves that the players were upset about being 'frozen out'.

McFaul has gone back to UCD (Is that Semi-Pro?) and Hart has not signed for a new club yet. There is no evidence to suggest that either were good enough to make the team.

Whilst I am beginning to think that perhaps Wilkins was lacking in the man management department, I don't think the word of an ex player or players are always trustworthy.

It has been said that Hart was obviously not one of his favourites and never really stood a chance with Wilkins at the helm. However, he did play enough games to trigger a new contract (the previous season) so was not completely frozen out. Why would one stay at a club if you knew you were not going to feature under the manager?

Either way, I can't help feeling that Wilkins was removed partly due to some management issues, but an overriding issue of falling attendances. There was only one manager that was free and easy that was guaranteed to raise the interest stakes and that is Micky.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
This is what he really said before Naylor "Naylorised" it.

Mcfaul My Albion Nightmare (from The Argus)</title>

McFaul: My Albion nightmare
By Andy Naylor
Comment

Shane McFaul has blasted the "Professional Judgement" of former Albion boss Dean Wilkins.

The immature Irish midfielder is glad to be back home in Dublin with his Mum after spunking up the wall his golden opportunity with the Seagulls in which he was tossed aside because he wasn't very good as it turned out.

McFaul, 22 last week, has spoken out about the way he was treated after being told he wasn't very good at the end of the season and so has rejoined his school team - University College Dublin.
advertisement

The former Notts County prospect, who failed to impress there as well, arrived back in England full of misguided hope when a cash strapped Albion snapped him up on a free transfer from UCD for the rest of the season during the January window, despite vague interest from Leicester who,lets face it, can afford a bit of sandbagging when it comes to free transfers.

McFaul, recommended by chief scout Barry Lloyd and signed after an eyecatching trial, wanted to emulate the skills of his friend and former Irish schoolboy and youth international team-mate Paul McShane, who was named player of the season by Albion fans two years ago. Unfortunately after a brief period where it looked like he do a job, it turned out he wasn't really very good.

McFaul is bewildered and wonders why, despite not really being very good, he has had to go back to Ireland to play for his school team rather than being snapped up by Liverpool or Chelsea.

The one time Republic of Ireland under-21 international made just one first team appearance, as a substitute in the dying stages at home to Crewe on February 2 where he prompty fell flat on his arse, and was an unused sub on four other occasions, preferring on those occaisionsto sit sulking than impress the gaffer with keenness.

He said: "I didn't get the chance I thought I deserved. I thought that after turning up for a few reserve games I would get a chance, longer than a minute and a half but ,despite my obvious skills, the highly experienced Dean Wilkins failed to see that rather than being a really not very good hoofer, I was in fact the next Ronaldo...I tried everyhing including hypnosis and Prayer to the Blessed Virgin, but Dean still insisted that really, I wasn't very good"

"It got to a stage where I knew no matter how much i sulked and prayed I wasn't going to be playing and I was going to be moping in the stands, then doing running afterwards.

"I think the manager had this mad opinion that really I wasn't very good. That really hacked me off and I know I am not the only player who felt like that. A lot of players were not deemed to be very good at the same time, this Hacked them off too and we formed our own little moaning clique".

"On a Friday we would be split up and sometimes, because Dean thought that really, I wasn't any good I had to train with the youth team. When you get involved with the team you are supposed to be handed a first team place without really being any good. How did he think that making someone of my majestic skill playing with the kids would help?"

"I was tossing off all the time with frustration and no-one cared because like Dean, they all thought that ,really, I wasn't very good. The manager gave up telling me to play like I was actually any good to secure a place in the starting eleven after a few months.
I went to see him once or twice and he told me to keep trying to be of any use at all. Eventually I gave up telling him that despite the evidence of his eyes I was really good".

He then did an article in the paper saying the same thing but I can't be bothered to read the paper...I know that I am brilliant".

"All the lads were great to me, especially people like Doug Loft , who also has sometimes been viewed as really not much good, and Jonny Dixon, who despite being from the Walkers Crisps league (South) was seen to be better than me, the gaelic Colussus, by him (Wilkins). He (Wilkins) didn't talk to any of the players who weren't playing. because he was focussed on the ones who were attempting to win a football game. You have to keep me happy and play me every week before you try and motivate your senior pro's

"Gary Hart came in and really helped them for a few games at right-back but then got tossed aside. There was no loyalty to the ageing journeyman from the manager."

McFaul's mood was not helped by having to move house twice soon after joining Albion. He said: "I moved at first into the house where George O'Callaghan had been, and the MESS! I soon discovered that I was going to have to share!, dear God the horror!" and I was told another player was going to move in with me.

"Steve Thomson was signed and he was hostile with me. He moved into the house with his family, which wasn't very nice, because I could't watch what I wanted all the time and his kids messed up me PS3.

"I then got moved into a house with a relation of the physio (Matt Miller) and a Slovakian girl who wasn't all that to be fair to the girl. My girlfriend was over at the time and I was in one room, with all my clothes in bags because the Servant I had expected to be provided failed to appear.

"The house itself was not fine and the people were'nt fine either. I am a sociopath and an introvert. I just wanted my own freedom.

"I then moved into Matt's place. He swapped with me and everything was fine after that but it was as if I had been tossed to one side again for some unknown reason other than his (Wilkins) persistent view that , really, I wasn't any good.

"I know other lads were being put up in a hotel while they looked for a new place but I was put into the George Hamilton IV guest house in lower Rock Gardens and it made me smell all funny. From day one I knew I wasn't going to be involved. What was the point in bringing me over just to mock me like this?"

The final insult for McFaul was not being told until after the end of the season that he was being released. I know Paul Reid spoke out," he said. "It was an absolute disgrace the way they handled telling us who was really any good and who was getting contracts. I would expect the gaffer to tell us all that really, we were'nt any good well before the season ends to keep motivation up".

"They knew who they were keeping and who they weren't. At least if they had told us before we could get in contact with the Lord to try and make us be any good ,I would have rung Rafa Benitez or Wenger if I'd known and get them to come and watch us in the park having a kick about."

McFaul cannot resume his career with UCD until July, due to regulations relating to his move to England, but he is determined not to let his experiences with Albion affect him.

"I don't doubt my ability," he said. "It didn't work out, simple as. I know for a fact that I am going to succeed so I'm not really worried about him (Wilkins) thinking that ,really, I'm not any good.

"I am going to dwell on it. I am happy to be home in me ma's house and I am looking forward in July to playing for Ireland. I am going to try and get into the under-21 squad again, despite not exactly setting the world on fire last time.

"I know I will get back to England if I save my pocket money and next time when I come over I'll make sure I am not going to be messed around and do get a chance. Hopefully I'll be playing for a manager who is a bit thick and can be fooled into believing that I am really very good, one who does not rely on the evidence of his own eyes, someone like Mark Maghee.

"I know that Micky Adams is a good manager so I can rule out any return to the Albion as long as he has a breath in his body and I am sure, without me,Brighton will do well next season. Dean Wilkins is a very good coach but in my opinion he lacks the ability to see beyond average performances week in week out in the reserves and the need to drop some first team players for no reason to let in some moaning paddy and I know I am not the only player who thinks that.

"I know there are players still there who think that. Now they have a new manager and I am sure they will be looking forward as well."

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I should be seeing McFaul PLAY tomorrow amazingly. Finn Harps vs. UCD....

Wait, or not, assumed he was back in the squad not hanging around until July. Oh well, I'll get to see him not play, just like for the Albion :lolol:

dylan_bha

Sep 21, 2004
LA
Why didn't Naylor write about the albion providing more than board and lodgings:

"I then got moved into a house with a relation of the physio (Matt Miller) and a Slovakian girl."

Are they people trafficing too!?!?

............Either way, I can't help feeling that Wilkins was removed partly due to some management issues, but an overriding issue of falling attendances...........

2007/8 (FL1) - Average home attendance = 5936
2006/7 (FL1) - Average home attendance = 6047
2005/6 (FLCh) - Average home attendance = 6802
2004/5 (FLCh) - Average home attendance = 6426
2003/4 (FL1) - Average home attendance = 6247
2002/3 (FLCh) - Average home attendance = 6650

Overriding mythology perhaps?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
This is what he really said before Naylor "Naylorised" it.

as mentioned - a quality piece of work. Except for the bit where he couldn't get to speak to Wilkins as Big Gully was too busy trailing him round like a lost puppy. If you could've added that in, would have been NSC Gold

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here