Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mayo to Lewes

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Good Luck Kerry, that side needs some experience I look forward to seeing you and Cullip in central defence. Live on TV Thursday and the Argus reckons 300,000 plus viewers watch live conference footy.

cullip is out with a hamstring injury - good signing he is proving!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
What? And what makes you think this? So Wilkins was allowed release them (above the head of M Hinsh) but Adams was then forced to re sign them by Hinsh?

I have heard some shit on here, but that is quite fantstic.

No sorry it nothing to do with Hinch, it was a poorely executed jibe at DK.

He was the main player in keeping them.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
No sorry it nothing to do with Hinch, it was a poorely executed jibe at DK.

He was the main player in keeping them.

You are far to witty for me!

So you think Wilkins had more power in player selection than Adams?

I would think Adams would stand for far less of that sort of shit than Wilkins

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You are far to witty for me!

So you think Wilkins had more power in player selection than Adams?

I would think Adams would stand for far less of that sort of shit than Wilkins

Your gonna have to run that past me again, in what way does that imply that Wilkins had more power than Adam's in player selection ??

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
Your gonna have to run that past me again, in what way does that imply that Wilkins had more power than Adam's in player selection ??

Wilkins had the power to release Mayo and Hart, but you seem think Adams was forced into re signing them.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Wilkins had the power to release Mayo and Hart, but you seem think Adams was forced into re signing them.

Gottya now .......

Not more power but strangely maybe Wilkins was less likely to allow DK his little forays into some player matters than maybe MA might allow.

In some respects MA's experience might of hardened his outlook where Chairman do interfer to different degrees and accepts it.

You must remember that MA came to Brighton without any other options, his stock as a successful manager had crashed in most peoples eyes apart from ours, this was possibly his only job offer.

He wasn't holding the trump hand as maybe he had before, so might willingly accepts things that Wilkins possibly wouldnt.

So in a strange way, yes Wilkins might of been more principled and determined to take on the Chairman, where his successor would not.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I've no issue with Mayo

Of course you don't

Didn't you know? He "bleeds blue and white."

We won't be shot of the useless bastard for another ten years at this rate.

Good point. Wilkins job was to improve our players technically (something he did very well if you look at the youngsters he brought through). He wasn't paid to entertain slobs like Mayo. That's what computer games are for when you finish work each day by lunchtime, Kerry:thud:

Also, just another point, I find it quite SHAMEFUL that such players can keep taking a contract here knowing full well they're not up to the job. Some mugs shout "loyalty" at this. I say GREED. Taking the money and sitting in our reserves rather than dropping to a level at which they will be good is not only the easy option, it's damaging to a career, and to me it's not much higher than STEALING.

but it's absolutely 100% nailed on that a match-losing performance isn't far away.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You've gotta give it to BigGully, he does come out with some good ones :lol:

You see you really have to work on your attention to detail.

You have accepted that 'Wilkins had the power to release Hart & Mayo' whilst Adams did not.

Not entirely true, Wilkins did try to release Mayo & Hart but then got the sack, so he never really did have that power did he.

My point is that maybe Adams accepted their signings, rather than overturned Wilkins decision.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

You have accepted that 'Wilkins had the power to release Hart & Mayo' whilst Adams did not.

Not entirely true, Wilkins did try to release Mayo & Hart but then got the sack, so he never really did have that power did he.

My point is that maybe Adams accepted their signings, rather than overturned Wilkins decision.

:lolol: Brilliant.

Why don't we go that little bit further and claim there was a clause in the contract of Micky Adams that forced him to re-sign Hart and Mayo. Woohoo! We can twist all sorts of happenings on Dick. Tell you what BigGully. You seem to have unearthed evidence of an egomaniac that is running down the club. Shall we make a banner and forge a massive protest?

It is surely our duty to let all the fans know. Perhaps you could ring the fans phone in and start the ball rolling.

But if DK was in charge of re-signing them, why did he not re-sign his nephew's friend Paul Reid? Surely with DK's supposed 'jobs for the boys' attitude PR would have been top of the list?

That is to make no mention of the fact that Adams has a history (both in this spell and his previous spell, and at other clubs) of bringing in loads of players that he's worked with before... which would just happen to include Mayo and Hart.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
No your wrong, I would suspect that the decision was not made by Adams to re-sign either of them, however he accepted their re-signing, there is a difference.

It was our Director of Football that decided to retain them.

You 'suspect' that....

Fact or guess?

Regardless of who took the decision to re-sign Mayo, isn´t it a fact that he has been in the matchday squad on more than one occasion this season? Including last Saturday? This suggests that MA still thinks he can do a job.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
People can't have it both ways. They moan when we get battered 4-1 at home by Scunthorpe, but they also stick up for people like Mayo. Just because you've worked somewhere for 11 years does not mean you're entitled to a job for life. He's by no means the only one, there are a number of players we should be a lot stricter on and just release, but we seem to be too much of a charity. So, as a football club with a limited budget, if you waste money on 6-8 players who are NEVER going to get in the team then you can't expect to win promotion. Simple really.

But to get rid of them you are relying on being able to bring in players equal to or better then what you have already.

You can't guarentee that this will be possible, and as a result, (for example) we could have released Mayo, not then been able to sign Richards (or anyone else for that matter that was good enough) and had a major problem being able to find someone to play / as cover in that position, meaning we are even less competitive in the league than we are now, given that players will get injuries / suspensions during the season.

There are only limited times we can sign new perminent players, and if we bring people in on loan, they may be more worried about injury threatening any chance they have of getting back into their parent clubs first XI, or that the parent club may recall then due to their own injury crisis, which then would impact on our competitiveness.

I think giving Mayo was a good move for all parties involved, especially as he accepted a wage cut to stay. Players Like Gargan or Fogden may turnm out to be real assests to the club, and may ultimately end up making the club money through a big transfer fee away, so to right of a player who is just starting out and looking to break through and could end up as important to us in a season or two as someone like Forster, Kuipers or Elphick

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here