Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mayo to Lewes

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Can you remind me what the Ipswich Chairman's comments were, and point out exactly how they serve to confirm anything? Can you then explain why, if he was such a fantastic professional, Magilton let him go to Cork City at the end of January, despite the apparent wonderful testimony from the Brighton staff?

This is such SUCH a leap of faith that I can't believe that you've actually repeated it more than once and can still take yourself seriously. So Reid is friends with DK, therefore before he goes to the paper he seeks DK's express permission to do so? And DK grants him a 'personal sanction'? Alternatively, Reid, in a fit of pique after what he feels is poor treatment, goes to the paper and vents. Sounds somewhat more likely to me.

I'll ask you again, although I know what the answer will be, where is any evidence for any of this? Where is your evidence that the BHA staff passed on a much better and different version of GOC to Ipswich? Where is your evidence that DK gave Reid a 'personal sanction' to give his interview with the Argus?

It was TLO who originally mentioned that Ipswich Chairman apologised to DK for his conduct. It seems DK offered his view on O'Callaghans conduct whilst a player here, this was then passed down to Magilton who contacted the coaching staff.

The information given by DK was not correct and quite unacceptable.

I can't comment on why GO went to Cork, but it doesn't follow that a player leaves a club exclusively due to unprofessionalism.

If you accept that Reid is a friend of DK why wouldnt you expect that DK was aware what Reid was going to do in regards to his Argus piece and of course this disgruntled player would then of been offering opinions to DK throughout much of Wilkins tenure, its unacceptable for a player that hadnt really contributed much on the pitch for perhaps a couple of years to be granted such a privileged position.

It is unprofessional by any standards, be it League 1, League 2 or my local Sunday league under 11's club.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
It was TLO who originally mentioned that Ipswich Chairman apologised to DK for his conduct. It seems DK offered his view on O'Callaghans conduct whilst a player here, this was then passed down to Magilton who contacted the coaching staff.

I can't comment on why GO went to Cork, but it doesn't follow that a player leaves a club exclusively due to unprofessionalism.

If you accept that Reid is a friend of DK why wouldnt you expect that DK was aware what Reid was going to do in regards to his Argus piece and of course this disgruntled player would then of been offering opinions to DK throughout much of Wilkins tenure, its unacceptable for a player that hadnt really contributed much on the pitch for perhaps a couple of years to be granted such a privileged position.

It is unprofessional by any standards, be it League 1, League 2 or my local Sunday league under 11's club.

I now accept that if you believe that 2 + 2 = 476 it is FACT.

Yes, I believe the Ipswich chairman did apologise (I can't find a link though so can't be sure whether it was fact or hearsay). What I don't understand is how this apology "might serve to confirm that a view was passed from DK to Ipswich which later had to be refuted by our own coaching staff to their then manager Magilton, the information was again inaccurate and wholly unacceptable."

It doesn't necessarily follow, no. But we all saw that GOC was a decent player, who at the start of the season had a decent enough transfer fee (according to wikipedia it was £60,000 rising to £75,000). How come his transfer value suddenly disappeared? Was he out of contract?

DK being aware of what Reid was going to do, and DK 'personally sanctioning' it are two entirely different things. Of course we have no idea that DK even knew, but lets assume that he did. For all you, I or anyone else knows DK could have done the best he could to stop Reid from talking to the Argus, done all he could to dissuade his 'friend' from slagging off Wilkins. That's just as likely (if not more so) than DK 'personally sanctioning' his actions.

Some players are close to the chairman. It's a fact of life. It doesn't just happen here, I'm sure it happens at clubs all over the country. Look at Chelsea and Shevchenko for a high-profile example. The chairman (at most clubs at our level) deals with contract negotiations, amongst other things. This is going to present an opportunity for the chairman to get the know the player. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the chairman probably wants to make himself approachable, to make negotiations easier.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I like Jake, but I wonder what his view might be at Christmas if his appearance's in the starting 11 are limited.

A new manager will always invigorate the players that were not playing under a previous regime, its an opportunity for Jake and I wish him well, but his statement only shows a player hoping for a change of fortune....no more.

Are you a New Labout MP? If not, you should be. :D

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Yes, I believe the Ipswich chairman did apologise (I can't find a link though so can't be sure whether it was fact or hearsay). What I don't understand is how this apology "might serve to confirm that a view was passed from DK to Ipswich which later had to be refuted by our own coaching staff to their then manager Magilton, the information was again inaccurate and wholly unacceptable."

It doesn't necessarily follow, no. But we all saw that GOC was a decent player, who at the start of the season had a decent enough transfer fee (according to wikipedia it was £60,000 rising to £75,000). How come his transfer value suddenly disappeared? Was he out of contract?

DK being aware of what Reid was going to do, and DK 'personally sanctioning' it are two entirely different things. Of course we have no idea that DK even knew, but lets assume that he did. For all you, I or anyone else knows DK could have done the best he could to stop Reid from talking to the Argus, done all he could to dissuade his 'friend' from slagging off Wilkins. That's just as likely (if not more so) than DK 'personally sanctioning' his actions.

Some players are close to the chairman. It's a fact of life. It doesn't just happen here, I'm sure it happens at clubs all over the country. Look at Chelsea and Shevchenko for a high-profile example. The chairman (at most clubs at our level) deals with contract negotiations, amongst other things. This is going to present an opportunity for the chairman to get the know the player. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the chairman probably wants to make himself approachable, to make negotiations easier.

I was told that the information was given by DK to the Ipswich Chairman in regard's to GO's unprofessionalism, our coaching staff had to refute these accusations, their view was that GO was a good professional, rough and ready maybe but a good pro.

If DK was offered an apology from Ipswich it would indicate that the allegation must of been damning in the first instance.

The Shevchenko example you give is an example of why such a relationship is unhealthy and unprofessional.

Such a relationship, it is said was a major reason why a successful manager Mourinho was sacked and led to some animosity within the playing squad.

The Chairman needs to keep a healthy distance from players, especially those that are not featuring in the startin line up, those players are likely to offer only a distorted view.

To be too close is bad enough but to then take note of what those disgruntled players might be saying is a grave undermining of the managers ability to progress the club.

There must be a total trust between manager and chairman above the players themselves, players are generally selfish and transitory and this trust was broken.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I was told that the information was given by DK to the Ipswich Chairman in regard's to GO's unprofessionalism, our coaching staff had to refute these accusations, their view was that GO was a good professional, rough and ready maybe but a good pro.

If DK was offered an apology from Ipswich it would indicate that the allegation must of been damning in the first instance.

The Shevchenko example you give is an example of why such a relationship is unhealthy and unprofessional.

Such a relationship, it is said was a major reason why a successful manager Mourinho was sacked and led to some animosity within the playing squad.

The Chairman needs to keep a healthy distance from players, especially those that are not featuring in the startin line up, those players are likely to offer only a distorted view.

To be too close is bad enough but to then take note of what those disgruntled players might be saying is a grave undermining of the managers ability to progress the club.

There must be a total trust between manager and chairman above the players themselves, players are generally selfish and transitory and this trust was broken.

You are entitled to that view. Personally I think it is contrived nonsense.

I hope you're not a judge!

You'd be donning the black cap after hearing one prosecution witness and refusing to listen to the defence or the jury!

You are entitled to that view. Personally I think it is contrived nonsense.

I hope you're not a judge!

You'd be donning the black cap after hearing one prosecution witness and refusing to listen to the defence or the jury!

Nicely summed up. It really is a lost cause trying to argue with someone who is so convinced he is right, based on one person's testimony and an over-active imagination.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Nicely summed up. It really is a lost cause trying to argue with someone who is so convinced he is right, based on one person's testimony and an over-active imagination.

Dont be daft ..... I am still smiling how you used the Shevchenko and Abramovich example, to somehow show how these friendships might work, intimating how it can actually be good for the club ............ you picked a wrongun'.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
So says Jake Robinson in his 'blog' Micky Adams has come in and breathed a new lease of life into the club and you can see from the results the impact he has made

Brighton 1 - 4 Scunthorpe

Such impact :angry::angry::angry:

I like Jake, but I wonder what his view might be at Christmas if his appearance's in the starting 11 are limited.

A new manager will always invigorate the players that were not playing under a previous regime, its an opportunity for Jake and I wish him well, but his statement only shows a player hoping for a change of fortune....no more.

Dont be daft ..... I am still smiling how you used the Shevchenko and Abramovich example, to somehow show how these friendships might work, intimating how it can actually be good for the club ............ you picked a wrongun'.

I really shouldn't, and I really do have better things to do, but I will anyway.

I did not try to say that Shevchenko and Ambramovich was a good example. I said it was an example. You said "It is unprofessional by any standards, be it League 1, League 2 or my local Sunday league under 11's club." I was merely pointing out that it happens at all levels, even at Premiership levels. So really, it's not unprofessional is it, it's just something that happens.

Do you really dispute the rest of what I wrote?

"It really is a lost cause trying to argue with someone who is so convinced he is right, based on one person's testimony and an over-active imagination."

I'll go again... do you not see what I mean? You are perfectly happy to write off and ignore any evidence which is contrary to your opinion, with little or no justification, just because it doesn't suit your argument. I presented Hart and Reid, you said their opinion didn't count because Wilkins discarded them. Others then present a player who played and wasn't discarded by Wilkins, yet still you refuse to accept it.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I really shouldn't, and I really do have better things to do, but I will anyway.

I did not try to say that Shevchenko and Ambramovich was a good example. I said it was an example. You said "It is unprofessional by any standards, be it League 1, League 2 or my local Sunday league under 11's club." I was merely pointing out that it happens at all levels, even at Premiership levels. So really, it's not unprofessional is it, it's just something that happens.

Do you really dispute the rest of what I wrote?

"It really is a lost cause trying to argue with someone who is so convinced he is right, based on one person's testimony and an over-active imagination."

If we are debating on a particular point why offer an example that doesnt back up your view ??

Everything 'happens' from professional conduct through to unprofessional conduct, just because it 'happens' that shouldn't mean that we must accept it at our club.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I'll go again... do you not see what I mean? You are perfectly happy to write off and ignore any evidence which is contrary to your opinion, with little or no justification, just because it doesn't suit your argument. I presented Hart and Reid, you said their opinion didn't count because Wilkins discarded them. Others then present a player who played and wasn't discarded by Wilkins, yet still you refuse to accept it.

You are doing it again !!

I think Robinson would disagree with you assessment of his opportunites under Wilkins.

He didnt start very often and it would appear that Wilkins wasn't sure about him and I fear that MA too might form that view, without any real starts this season to date.

Robinson was a fringe player last year, no more.

So your example again is flawed.

The players that get opportunities under Adams just like the players that were given opportunities under Wilkins will eulogise about that particular manager as will the players that will be shifted to one side conclude that that manager was clueless.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't wish to be drawn into this tiresome regurgitation, of what was a tiresome drawn out bitchfest, the first, second, third and fourth times round, BUT, ffs Mr BigGully, give it up.

Go and do some work, or whatever it is that local politicians get up to when they're not boring everyone on football forums.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I don't wish to be drawn into this tiresome regurgitation, of what was a tiresome drawn out bitchfest, the first, second, third and fourth times round, BUT, ffs Mr BigGully, give it up.

Go and do some work, or whatever it is that local politicians get up to when they're not boring everyone on football forums.

If you dont wish to be drawn in then why the hell do you feel compelled to join in.

Have some principles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here