Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark McGhee to be offered managers job at

Icy Gull said:
Depends how high we are aiming I guess and I personally don't think the playing side is the most important thing for the board at the moment. DW is probably considerably cheaper than any of the "high quality" applicants and has done enough as youth team coach to deserve a lengthy run in a team denied any decent strengthening. I guess time will tell if it was MM's inability to attract players or DK and Bloom's hold on the purse strings that resulted in our appalling recent record of attracting experienced and quality players?

Without that cash injection do we really need a high profile manager if DW can keep us in this division without a relegation scrap?

The more I see of Wilkins, the more impressed I am. Not sure that any manager could have got more out of the youngsters last night, the team was superbly organised, the Southend crowd were really getting restless.

McGhee I think set out the argument well when he said, if Dick Knight is not planning to make much funds available, then it may not be worth bringing in a bigger name manager, what would be the point? If the kids are what we are going to rely on, Wilkins may be the man to get the best out of them.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Les Biehn said:
Londoners make Magners. Doesn't surprise me, these companies willl set up anywhere.

It is like Fosters - "Australia's greatest export". I didn't see a single reference to Fosters in my three month in Oz and I believe it is brewed in Stafford or somewhere like that....

Zebedee said:
Agreed. And I would rate McGhee's chances of achieving such a return as virtually non-existant.

:lolol: :lolol:

You mean like 7pt out of 9 in the first 3 games of the season and proceeding to the second round of the Cup? :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
London Irish said:

McGhee I think set out the argument well when he said, if Dick Knight is not planning to make much funds available, then it may not be worth bringing in a bigger name manager, what would be the point? If the kids are what we are going to rely on, Wilkins may be the man to get the best out of them.

McGhee has made a good point there. Plus Wilkins needs time. If he can keep us midtable this year making a few mistakes then we can push on next year. His conection with the youth team and new approach should aid us in what is a transitional period.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Les Biehn said:
McGhee has made a good point there. Plus Wilkins needs time. If he can keep us midtable this year making a few mistakes then we can push on next year. His conection with the youth team and new approach should aid us in what is a transitional period.

I thought you were against any man in charge of Brighton though, Les. I am shocked at your reasoned viewpoint.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
BarrelofFun said:
I thought you were against any man in charge of Brighton though, Les. I am shocked at your reasoned viewpoint.

Wilkins is a man! f*** me, Wilkins OUT!!!

We need a tried and tested female manager!

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
BarrelofFun said:

I hate all the managers to be honest Green Man. I pretend to back them but my anti-any brighton manager agenda is clear in even my most mundane boob orientated posts.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
chez said:
I think its quite important to go back up this season.

I dont! I think this season is about consolidation and building some foundations, DK got it right at the fans forum by saying mid-table will do, but McGhee got it wrong by saying he was going for promotion!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
London Irish said:
The more I see of Wilkins, the more impressed I am. Not sure that any manager could have got more out of the youngsters last night, the team was superbly organised, the Southend crowd were really getting restless.

We can have all the biggest profile managers in the world apply for the Albion managers job, But nobody knows the youngsters in the squad better than Dean Wilkins!

British Bulldog said:
I dont! I think this season is about consolidation and building some foundations, DK got it right at the fans forum by saying mid-table will do, but McGhee got it wrong by saying he was going for promotion!

That's the best reason I've heard yet why he had to go :jester:

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
chez said:
Dont you think he's a manager good enough to be challenging for premiership status then? I certainly do.
Crikey.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
British Bulldog said:

London Irish said:
That's the best reason I've heard yet why he had to go :jester:

Not sure that is what British Bulldog was saying.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Les Biehn said:
Not sure that is what British Bulldog was saying.

No thats not what I was saying Les. Just making the point that even Dick Knight could see this as a season to consolidate our place in league 1, And to build the foundations of a new squad. McGhee got it wrong by disputing this and saying he was going to push for promotion, It was an un-realistic target to set.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
British Bulldog said:
No thats not what I was saying Les. Just making the point that even Dick Knight could see this as a season to consolidate our place in league 1, And to build the foundations of a new squad. McGhee got it wrong by disputing this and saying he was going to push for promotion, It was an un-realistic target to set.

Actually re reading it you were clearly saying this is why MM was sacked :jester:

Last edited:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Les Biehn said:
Actually re reading it you were clearly saying this is why MM was sacked :jester:

I was'nt saying anything clearly after 2 bottles of wine last night.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
McGhee for Albion !.

I am still smarting about McGhee's sacking.

Question:

Will BHAFC miss McGhee more than McGhee will miss BHAFC
Will McGhee miss BHAFC more than BHAFC will miss McGhee

I think time will time this decision was wrong wrong wrong. Wilkins is not the man for the job long term. We will never get someone better than McGhee back in.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Both of those questions are the same.

I am disappointed that we lost McGhee, but I am starting to feel it was time for him to move on. Everyone has their shelf life.

Arguably we have been performing better without him, despite throwing away some leads. There seems to be more confidence in the team.

I have some doubts that we will get anyone of McGhee's calibre - decent record at this level and above - despite our final season in the Championship. However, DK said he has had some quality applicants, so you never know....

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Can you imagine the backlash Tuesday if McGhee had subbed from a corner when we were up and the side let in 3 goals in 4 minutes :eek:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Uncle Spielberg said:
Can you imagine the backlash Tuesday if McGhee had subbed from a corner when we were up and the side let in 3 goals in 4 minutes :eek:

Yes, he would have been called every name under the sun - unfair criticism. I think there will be a little more slack for Wilkins as he is learning.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Spielberg said:

ET is shit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here