Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark Mcghee- " I Saw It Coming"- Interview In Insight City News

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: Mark Mcghee- " I Saw It Coming"- Interview In Insight City News

London Irish said:
What did these 1,200 want I wonder?

Signings to improve the squad possibly. If McGhee was aiming too high why wasn't he told to lower his sights by the chairman instead of being hung out to dry by the lack of backing from his board? I no longer care about the rights and wrongs of MM's demise just the way it was done. For various reasons I did not renew my season ticket this year, the clincher being my loss of faith in the spin coming out of the club at the top. In the light of what's happened this season, I feel made the right decision.

I will now pick and choose my games.

Last edited:

Re: Re: Re: Mark Mcghee- " I Saw It Coming"- Interview In Insight City News

Stinky Kat said:
They probably wanted value for money, a roof to keep them dry and to see some decent football

But why did they all turn up for the Gillinham game if they wanted all that? :p

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Re: Re: Re: Mark Mcghee- " I Saw It Coming"- Interview In Insight City News

Icy Gull said:
Signings to improve the squad possibly. If McGhee was aiming too high why wasn't he told to lower his sights by the chairman instead of being hung out to dry by the lack of backing from his board? I no longer care about the rights and wrongs of MM's demise just the way it was done. For various reasons I did not renew my season ticket this year, the clincher being my loss of faith in the spin coming out of the club at the top. In the light of what's happened this season, I feel made the right decision.

I will now pick and choose my games.

I find your's and LI's continued defence of MM admirable - I really do.

As a recent recruit to the MM 'niche' I turned my back on him metaphorically - after the away defeat at crewe last year - I do have sympathy.

However, none of us know if he was 'told' to lower his sights. This latest piece by MM does nothing to strengthen his position. Bottom line is that he wanted 3 players who collectively would have cost (in fees and signing ons) c£400k. Sadly for a league 1 club that is fantasy land. I'm sure he would have been told that. Even if we could have got fees and wages together, we are still not an attractive proposition for them.

I heard that we wanted to sign shevchenko, ronaldinho and pele but that the board wouldn't sanction it. perhaps the board should come clean and say it will be a 5 year journey to get to that point. It's easy this managing lark isn't it?

Realistically he has less money to spend - but there was some. he didn't spend it and it cannot be realistically spent til jan. By which time with crowds dropping, that money will all but fizzle out. Also, I suspect that a large portion of it went in paying him off.

we wont be able in a loan only window to flash cash for people. We might get youngsters and old 'uns. If there is any money left by jan we might hope to rescue the position. Realistically by failing to sign anyone, we have been left with a squad largely made up of youth teamers so might as well let the youth team coach manage them as well.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
ROSM, my point is not so much a defence of MM especially his targets, he is gone I accept it and Wilkins has my full support. Maybe he was a bit of a loose cannon at the end but at no stage, before his sacking, do I recall the board trying to reign in his expectations and saying that his taregts were unrealistic. Dichio, Shipperley and others I forget seemed, from MM's comments at the time, to be targets he appeared to have the board's backing on at the time. I doubt he did in retrospect, hence my stance.

But like many unfair McGhee critics, ROSM you are confusing different time periods. To survive in the Championship, we did need better than League 1 players, so talking about the likes of McPhail and Johnson and Noel-Williams is not preposterous if we genuinely wanted to survive in that league. But the reality is we never had a chance with his best players sold from under him and all the proceeds needed to counteract our very precarious financial situation and mounting year-on-year losses.

Yes, we have lower expectations now - that's why we were looking at League 2 players, League 2 reserve players and Conference players in the last transfer window. The idea that McGhee only wanted names out of our reach is yet another myth peddled by the jaundiced. If McGhee had never gone after more higher-profile players, exactly the same people would have accused him of lacking ambition. Let's face it, irrationality took over for many people in their judgements of McGhee, he couldn't win whatever he did, you can ride that train if the seat is comfortable for you, just don't expect the rest of us to, particularly as the prospect of many years of never getting near McGhee's acheivements stretches out ahead of us. Winning a relegation battle to keep us out of League 2 is now our benchmark of success, post-McGhee.

Last edited:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
London Irish said:
But like many unfair McGhee critics, ROSM you are confusing different time periods.

A GOOD ATTEMPT TO DEHUMANISE THOSE WHO HAVE A DIFFERENT OPINION TO THAT YOU HOLD. I THINK IT IS YOU THAT MAY BE CONFUSED - THE TALK OF HORSCROFT, DICHIO ETC CAME THIS SUMMER.

To survive in the Championship, we did need better than League 1 players, so talking about the likes of McPhail and Johnson and Noel-Williams is not preposterous if we genuinely wanted to survive in that league.

IT IS A BIT DUBIOUS IF YOU DONT HAVE THE MONEY FOR THEM? C£400K IS A LOT OF CASH FOR ABOUT HALF OF CHAMPIONSHIP TEAMS. I AGREE WITH NOEL WILLIAMS THOUGH - ALTHOUGH MM WAS PREPARED TO PAY 75K FOR WHAT WAS IN EFFECT A 3 MONTH LOAN OF HIM. HE DID SCORE TWO GREAT GOALS THOUGH WHICH HELPED EARN US 4 MORE POINTS - NOT QUITE ENOUGH THOUGH TO GET US FROM BOTTOM TO 4TH BOTTOM.

But the reality is we never had a chance with his best players sold from under him and all the proceeds needed to counteract our very precarious financial situation and mounting year-on-year losses.

IT IS REASONABLE TO SAY HE DIDN'T HAVE A CHANCE - BUT A CHANCE AT WHAT? PROMOTION TO PREMIERSHIP - AGREED; PLAY OFFS - AGREED; COMFORTABLE MID TABLE - STRETCHING; STAYING UP - SORRY BUT I THINK HE DID HAVE A CHANCE

Yes, we have lower expectations now - that's why we were looking at League 2 players, League 2 reserve players and Conference players in the last transfer window.

I'M SURE HE WAS STILL MENTIONING SHIPPERLEY AND DICHIO THEN.

The idea that McGhee only wanted names out of our reach is yet another myth peddled by the jaundiced.

INCLUDING HIMSLEF IN THAT INTERVIEW THAT STARTED THIS THREAD

If McGhee had never gone after more higher-profile players, exactly the same people would have accused him of lacking ambition.

THAT'S A FAIR POINT - THERE ARE THOSE WHO NOW DOUBT WOULD HAVE SAID THAT

Let's face it, irrationality took over for many people in their judgements of McGhee, he couldn't win whatever he did, you can ride that train if the seat is comfortable for you, just don't expect the rest of us to,

SORRY BUT DEFEAT AT HOME TO STOKE, GUTLESS AGAINST SOUTHAMPTON AND SHEFF WED, CAPITULATION AGAINST BRENTFORD, CREWE! THAT WAS NEVER COMFORTABLE. ALL IN THE LAST 12 HOME GAMES.

particularly as the prospect of many years of never getting near McGhee's acheivements stretches out ahead of us. Winning a relegation battle to keep us out of League 2 is now our benchmark of success, post-McGhee.

INDEED AVOIDING RELEGATION WITH THE SQUAD AND FEW YOUNG/OLD UNS ADDITIONS THAT THE LOAN MARKET GETS US UNTIL JANUARY IS CERTAINLY WHAT WE FACE. HOWEVER, WHO LEFT US WITH THAT SQUAD AND WHO FAILED TO SPEND THE MONEY THAT HAS NOW BEEN USED TO SACK HIM?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Icy Gull said:
ROSM, my point is not so much a defence of MM especially his targets, he is gone I accept it and Wilkins has my full support. Maybe he was a bit of a loose cannon at the end but at no stage, before his sacking, do I recall the board trying to reign in his expectations and saying that his taregts were unrealistic. Dichio, Shipperley and others I forget seemed, from MM's comments at the time, to be targets he appeared to have the board's backing on at the time. I doubt he did in retrospect, hence my stance.

Icy - I have to say that i see your views as more realistic than many of the MM evangelists on here. You make sense, the board didn't publically come out and say that.

ROSM said:
Icy - I have to say that i see your views as more realistic than many of the MM evangelists on here. You make sense, the board didn't publically come out and say that.

More than that ROSM, most of the talk about Dichio came from Dick Knight. And that's true about Shipperley too. But these are facts you convienently forget in your transparent attempt to blacken McGhee's reputation.

London Irish said:
More than that ROSM, most of the talk about Dichio came from Dick Knight. And that's true about Shipperley too. But these are facts you convienently forget in your transparent attempt to blacken McGhee's reputation.

:lolol:

McGhee's reputation was being played out on the pitch, while he stood dispassionately arms folded.
The McGhee outers don't need to mess about with the lads' repute, and if you think he was so great, then what were his stumbling blocks again?...... those naughty players conspiring to ruin his squad was it? Dick Knight going walkabout 'just as MM was about to make a sweeping player coup and land the big one' ?
CKR turning out to be another Stan Collymore?

Maybe his tactics were works of genius but we just couldn't didn't see it?
In the words of Don McLean, "but I could have told you Mark McGhee, this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you".

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
NMH said:
:lolol:

McGhee's reputation was being played out on the pitch, while he stood dispassionately arms folded.
The McGhee outers don't need to mess about with the lads' repute, and if you think he was so great, then what were his stumbling blocks again?...... those naughty players conspiring to ruin his squad was it? Dick Knight going walkabout 'just as MM was about to make a sweeping player coup and land the big one' ?
CKR turning out to be another Stan Collymore?

Maybe his tactics were works of genius but we just couldn't didn't see it?
In the words of Don McLean, "but I could have told you Mark McGhee, this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you".

Since McGhee has such a good reputation it's odd that he hasn't been snapped up by another club. But after all his tireless efforts for us, no doubt he needs a long break.

:nono:

Last edited:

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
He doesn't need another job as we are still paying him until next summer

This is the main reason we can't afford a decent manager to replace him

Also why Wendy only given job until end of season

i.e. if he stays on he will want to be paid the proper rate, not the pittance he no dount gets now ( about 50% of what McG got I expect ) - if he is not up to job - he goes back to coach role and we appoint somebody else

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
London Irish said:

okay Mr evidence man - where are the quotes attributable to Knight?

I have kept out of the name calling you seem to attract - or indeed give. I can't understand your attitude to me - so let's be civil and I await your evidence!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
ROSM said:
I can't understand your attitude to me - so let's be civil and I await your evidence!
Unfortunately that is what happens when you dare to question The Wise And Mighty One.

Last edited:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Silent Bob said:
Unfortunately that is what happens when you dare to question The Wise And Mighty One.

You mean LI?

:D :D :lolol: :lolol:

ROSM said:
okay Mr evidence man - where are the quotes attributable to Knight?

I have kept out of the name calling you seem to attract - or indeed give. I can't understand your attitude to me - so let's be civil and I await your evidence!

Here's the Shipperley one - this attracted much comment at the time because Neil Warnock specifically contradicted Dick Knight's comments on Shipperley

http://www.northstandchat.biz/showthread.php?threadid=71116

Back with the Dichio one soon

Silent Bob said:

Not of course that you're into name-calling at all.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
London Irish said:
Here's the Shipperley one - this attracted much comment at the time because Neil Warnock specifically contradicted Dick Knight's comments on Shipperley

http://www.northstandchat.biz/showthread.php?threadid=71116

Back with the Dichio one soon
"The only contact we have had with Brighton on this subject was a couple of weeks ago when Mark McGhee rang asking about his availability."

Clearly he was a Dick Knight target then.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
get over McGhee he has gone get on with it and support the manager. Stop living in the past. Personally i'd love to see Coppell still here but not going to happen is it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here