Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark Mcghee- " I Saw It Coming"- Interview In Insight City News

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Uncle Buck said:
Did McPhail not follow Risdale from Leeds to Barnsley?

He did. And Ridsdale was instrumental in bringing him to Cardiff too. But, having watched him play ten Championship matches so far this season, it beggars belief that a player with his talent ended up in League One. He's a class act.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
The Laughing Bluebird said:
He did. And Ridsdale was instrumental in bringing him to Cardiff too. But, having watched him play ten Championship matches so far this season, it beggars belief that a player with his talent ended up in League One. He's a class act.

I do remember people raving about him as an 18 year old when he broke into the Leeds team and what with being a good passer of the ball and Irish, being compared with Liam Brady.

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Why cant we spot potential gems like McPhail earlier?
In another sport Susssex CCC did with Luke Wright

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
He was brilliant at Leeds but his face never seemed to fit. Cardiff have made some cracking signings and should cruise to promotion this year. Fair play to them.

sagaman said:
McGhee advises the Board to be honest to the fans."It is at least a three year plan(that's needed) and that's if they can hold on to the young players"

Yes - never a truer word spoken.

In sacking McGhee, the board have just put off what will be a difficult conversation with fans - that there is less money now than there was even 3 or 4 years ago and that promotion tilts at the Championship are now off the agenda for the foreseeable future, probably until Falmer or this mythical investor turns up.

Unless Wilkins manages to turn things round quickly - and we will get some more big clues to this against a brittle Blackpool team - then it looks as though this difficult conversation is going to have to happen quickly.

Dick Knight must have assumed that giving the most vocal fans what they wanted, the pressure would at least eased for a little while and laying bare our financial difficulties could be avoided.

But he bargained without 1,200 fans disappearing into the sunset since the Gillingham game and what looks like an umcomfortable relegation scrap.

What did these 1,200 want I wonder?

Last edited:

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
Re: Re: Mark Mcghee- " I Saw It Coming"- Interview In Insight City News

London Irish said:

In sacking McGhee, the board have just put off what will be a difficult conversation with fans - that there is less money now than there was even 3 or 4 years ago and that promotion tilts at the Championship are now off the agenda for the foreseeable future, probably until Falmer or this mythical investor turns up.

Unless Wilkins manages to turn things round quickly - and we will get some more big clues to this against a brittle Blackpool team - then it looks as though this difficult conversation is going to have to happen quickly.

Dick Knight must have assumed that giving the most vocal fans what they wanted, the pressure would at least eased for a little while and laying bare our financial difficulties could be avoided.

But he bargained without 1,200 fans disappearing into the sunset since the Gillingham game and what looks like an umcomfortable relegation scrap.

Turn the clock back a year to when we beat Palace and then forward to Xmas with wins against Hull & QPR - everything going as well if not better than expected. Luton away, the rot sets in, 2 transfer windows come and go and we are in the botom of the 3rd in about 9 months on from Palace with a caretaker manager, no forward line and no evidence of turning the corner in sight. I stood at Gilingham for an evening game against Perbro' with just 1200 there. This current debacle is worse to watch than even the Gillingham days - simple reason, the only way just had to be up and there was an air of optimism together with the usual black humour to keep our spirits up.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.

London Irish said:
But the club are quite right not to lay bare our financial difficulties. What is the point in giving succour to Norman Fraudster, Brawler Neighbour and Ann DeSnobbi ?
It is tantamount to encouraging them to delay things further.

Re: Re: Re: Mark Mcghee- " I Saw It Coming"- Interview In Insight City News

mona said:
But the club are quite right not to lay bare our financial difficulties. What is the point in giving succour to Norman Fraudster, Brawler Neighbour and Ann DeSnobbi ?
It is tantamount to encouraging them to delay things further.

I'm not talking about anything sensitive or embarrassing, just making clear to fans what our wages budget can afford and what realistically it can buy us.

I thought Dick Knight did make a promising start to this strategy of honesty by stating two things at the beginning of the season:
a) that we had less financial flexibility now than when Micky Adams was manager
b) that midtable was now the realistic expectation, not play-offs

However, those two important themes were lost in the noise about McGhee and the debate over whether Wilkins should get the permanent job.

Unfortunately, Knight is going to have to constantly emphasise both a) and b) again. Otherwise frustration will continue to mount based on unrealistic expectations about what we can achieve.

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
Re: Re: Re: Re: Mark Mcghee- " I Saw It Coming"- Interview In Insight City News

London Irish said:
I'm not talking about anything sensitive or embarrassing, just making clear to fans what our wages budget can afford and what realistically it can buy us.

I thought Dick Knight did make a promising start to this strategy of honesty by stating two things at the beginning of the season:
a) that we had less financial flexibility now than when Micky Adams was manager
b) that midtable was now the realistic expectation, not play-offs

However, those two important themes were lost in the noise about McGhee and the debate over whether Wilkins should get the permanent job.

Unfortunately, Knight is going to have to constantly emphasise both a) and b) again. Otherwise frustration will continue to mount based on unrealistic expectations about what we can achieve.

b} above in particular seems to have had a Ratneresque effect on the crowd and look how his honesty affected his empire.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mark Mcghee- " I Saw It Coming"- Interview In Insight City News

Bromley shrimp said:
b} above in particular seems to have had a Ratneresque effect on the crowd

Nah, nothing wrong with being a mid-table team in our circumstances, in fact, it's us doing pretty OK. I'm sure many will call it and us "crap" because of that, but Dick Knight need not be one of those :drink:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Re: Re: Re: Re: Mark Mcghee- " I Saw It Coming"- Interview In Insight City News

London Irish said:
There is an element of truth here but it just raises further questions as to why McGhee thought he could sign the type of players he loved to name. Johnson, McPhail, Chopra, ridiculous. Shipperly, Parkin, the list goes on. Why not go for more realistic targets if the situation is so bad? It's not that difficult to find a couple of free transfers/cheapo squad members from higher leagues who can "do a job".

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mark Mcghee- " I Saw It Coming"- Interview In Insight City News

Silent Bob said:
There is an element of truth here but it just raises further questions as to why McGhee thought he could sign the type of players he loved to name. Johnson, McPhail, Chopra, ridiculous. Shipperly, Parkin, the list goes on. Why not go for more realistic targets if the situation is so bad? It's not that difficult to find a couple of free transfers/cheapo squad members from higher leagues who can "do a job".
If it's not so difficult, I'm sure it will happen in the next few months then. Wake me up when it happens. Usually it's always the wages problem, not the transfer fee.

Let's see the context he mentioned the 3 Cardiff players, frankly, he could just have been saying these are the type of players we would have needed to have kept us in the Championship. McPhail is certainly not ridiculous given that he was playing at a lower level than us last season. It won't be long either that Shipperley will be heading down the leagues.

And let's recall we also did look at many players well below this level, yet our offers were not attractive enough to prise away Ibhere, Kandol and that Conference striker either. I'm sure that's his fault too, eh?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mark Mcghee- " I Saw It Coming"- Interview In Insight City Ne

London Irish said:
If it's not so difficult, I'm sure it will happen in the next few months then. Wake me up when it happens. Usually it's always the wages problem, not the transfer fee.
Well obviously there are a lot more players floating about in the summer than any other time, but we've already managed one (and another one may be on the way). :)

London Irish said:
And let's recall we also did look at many players well below this level, yet our offers were not attractive enough to prise away Ibhere, Kandol and that Conference striker either. I'm sure that's his fault too, eh?
I thought the Ibhere thing was down to the agent?
Grays have a rich owner and can afford to rebuff most advances, expecially ones made hours before the transfer deadline. I believe the chairman put a £1m price tag on McClean, of course they won't get that much but it shows their intention.
The Kandol one is a bit odd, but I'd be inclined to say we dodged a bullet there anyway.

London Irish said:

Oh come ON, the board do NOT have to make 'honest explanations' to fans! The (sensible) fans already know we are in a hard slog time with tight finances, going down a dark tunnel and still having to say how dark it is after all this time? If you think about it, Knight is probably rather a hopeful, optomistic bloke, and doesn't (despite it all) keep laying out all the additions to the odds that are stacked against, and can no better tell the future than you or I. We might turn new corners that make things better, brighter, and easier, so no point in burying heads under sand.

The stuff McGhee says is likely a little bit of an excuse as to why HE FAILED at Brighton.

We still have a proud club, and we still have a right to expect a professional to come up with the goods REGARDLESS of all the pitfalls he perceives.
SUCCESSFUL managers don't look at the impossibilities, they look at the possibilities.

NMH said:
and I for one won't look at someone like MM's record in football and be telling kids about it - I'd be talking about Mickey Adams for BHA, or the likes of Brian Clough at Forest.
Given the depths of your pathology regarding McGhee, I fully expect you to be talking about him in 20 years.

Last edited:

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield

London Irish said:

They probably wanted value for money, a roof to keep them dry and to see some decent football

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here