Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark Mcghee- " I Saw It Coming"- Interview In Insight City News

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
BarrelofFun said:
Carlisle is probably at least 5 times cheaper to live there, than Brighton. Plus we do not have the financial prowess of Carlisle - we rent, they own.

Bollocks - if we can't compete financially with Carlisle we might as well give up now, they were in the Conference two years ago.

When it came to signings McGhee always reminded me of a tramp trying to pull stunners in a club full of Armani models when what he really needed was a snog with the barmaid down his local. All the players he's mentioned there are now at Championship clubs. Maybe if he had the reputation to get players in, like countless previous managers have had, and the club wasn't quite obviously going nowhere with him in charge, we might have had a chance. As it was - and still is - any average targetman would do the job. If we'd made a bit more effort to keep/improve Benjamin, Iwelumo and McCammon instead of wasting our time humouring Shipperley, Horsefield et al we could have been ok. The whole boring saga will rumble on until Wilkins gets a couple of those sorts of strikers.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Les will probably have sex with you Benny. Or you can wait until Kinky gets back from Hong Kong if you are bit more picky ;)

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Dave the Gaffer said:
Because Knight knew he was going to sack him over the summer and didnt want to have spent money on players Wilkins would not have wanted ( like Stokes on loan for example)

From what I understand, Knight intended to sack McGhee. The reason he did it when he did and not at the end of the season was so that he could present it as his decision and not that he had been forced to do it by Messrs Bloom. Thus he sacks McGhee once we can no longer bring any new players in, except on loan. I would like to know exactly what sacking McGhee has achieved, apart from to put an inexperienced manager in charge of a group of kids fighting a possible season-long relegation battle.

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Article starts on front page of October issue - not yet online

I was hoping someone had heard of Roger Johnson!!

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
sagaman said:
I was hoping someone had heard of Roger Johnson!!

Roger Johnson is a central defender, signed by Cardiff City during the summer for a fee of £275,000 from Wycombe Wanderers, where he had been captain at the age of 19 and player of the year twice in the last three years.

He is an excellent player.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The Laughing Bluebird said:
Roger Johnson is a central defender, signed by Cardiff City during the summer for a fee of £275,000 from Wycombe Wanderers, where he had been captain at the age of 19 and player of the year twice in the last three years.

He is an excellent player.

:wave: LB

How's tricks?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Bry Nylon said:
Les will probably have sex with you Benny. Or you can wait until Kinky gets back from Hong Kong if you are bit more picky ;)

How dare you:angry: I am the finest of all the rent boys working down the Pavilion bogs.

jakes right boot

Jul 29, 2006
Rougvie said:
Financial prowess is hardly the word, they are competitive, but their turnover will be lower than ours because their fanbase is lower and I would imagine that we would take more in hospitality, merchandise sales etc etc.

Interestingly all this bollocks about OWNING a ground doesnt wash, many many clubs still have debt (Carlisle among them unless their situation has changed) secured against assets (i.e ground) which leaves them in a much worse situation than we are in if the bailiffs turn up at the door.

Not taking legal fees into account although the Government are having to fork out for this last 11 months. QC's don't come cheaply.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
West Hoathly Seagull said:
I would like to know exactly what sacking McGhee has achieved, apart from to put an inexperienced manager in charge of a group of kids fighting a possible season-long relegation battle.

I cannot believe people are still questioning the decision to sack McGhee. I defy you to prove you went to games regularly while he was in charge, because I felt like doing that thing Michael Hutchence did whenever I saw his team selections. Wilkins might be inexperienced but at least he's gonna stop the rot setting in.

PS Thanks for all the offers of sex but really I'm fine, if I go another couple of weeks without getting any slap and tickle I'll give Danny Seagull a call, he's a right old laugh in the sack.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Bry Nylon said:
How's tricks?

Life is great at the top of the Championship. Enjoying every minute of it.

I haven't read the McGhee article (just about to), but I notice the three players mentioned are all Cardiff City players!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Rougvie said:
Financial prowess .....

Benny Zamora said:

Prowess was perhaps not the best of words to have picked. :lol:

I meant in the sense that they have not been homeless for nearly ten years. It was well documented that we have lost about £35m in turnover since our departure from the Goldstone, using the attendances in our final season. £3.5m a year - sounds about right.

Carlisle average 7,900 this season. I was speculating that their debt is not as great as ours. I would imagine their debt is far more sustainable as they have assets.

The main point was the cost of living!

Fully agree that we should have done much more to target players of the Benjamin/Iuwelmo standard as opposed to the untouchables.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Yup, I bet you are!! Well, good luck mate. Don't forget to tune into "A Comedy of Errors" this Sunday on SKY :down:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I haven't read the McGhee article (just about to), but I notice the three players mentioned are all Cardiff City players!

They are now so perhaps he wasnt so far out on his estimations and didnt get the support from the board as a whole not just DK.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
West Hoathly Seagull said:
From what I understand, Knight intended to sack McGhee. The reason he did it when he did and not at the end of the season was so that he could present it as his decision and not that he had been forced to do it by Messrs Bloom.

But that's stupid. If DK wanted to sack McGhee, than there is no issue. The Blooms and Chapman wouldn't have been forcing his hand, they'd have been agreeing with his action. ???

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
We have sacked McGhee and just promoted from within, so no additional costs to date. Wilkins wants 1 or 2 new back room staff but they will not cost teh same as McGhee.

We want to sign Steven McPhail, Michael Chopra and Roger Johnson

1 - Chopra - The 22-year-old joined the Bluebirds in a £500,000 deal!

2 - Johnson - £275,000 deal

3 McPhail was signed on a Bossman free transfer

So realistically could we have matched Cardiff in wages? No! Championship football? No!

I want to sign Rooney and Henry, but you dont always get what you want!

This article must be a wind up!

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
I think it's fair to say that McGhee is living in fantasy land if he honestly believed he ever had any chance of signing Chopra, Johnson or McPhail for Brighton.

Chopra turned down offers from a number of other Championship clubs before joining Cardiff in the summer. He also turned down the offer of a new one-year deal at Newcastle.

Swansea City couldn't afford Johnson. They bid around £150,000 for him before Cardiff moved in, but were turned down.

As for McPhail, I have absolutely no idea what a player of his undoubted quality was doing in League One in the first place. During the summer he rejected a new, improved contract at Barnsley and turned down offers from a couple of other Championship clubs before arriving at Ninian Park.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Silent Bob said:
But that's stupid. If DK wanted to sack McGhee, than there is no issue. The Blooms and Chapman wouldn't have been forcing his hand, they'd have been agreeing with his action. ???

Only quoting what I heard from some in the FFA circles. If he wanted to get rid, I would have thought to have done it in the summer would have been better, allowing a new manager to get the players he wanted in. I do agree that McGhee should have been looking for League 1 players rather than Championship standard; this was a major mistake in my opinion. I still do foresee a hard, long battle against relegation and I still fail to see what the sacking of McGhee will achieve at this stage of the season when no permanent players can be brought in until January. Some of the announcements (community club, etc) do rather seem to have the air of making Dick Knight look good, and his reaction to Hawes's question about appointing DW on the cheap did rather seem like he had been caught napping. I did feel McGhee had to go. The same sources that told me about the timing said that McGhee had lost the dressing room, and he clearly knew that his time at the Albion was up after the Bristol City game. My whole point is about the timing. I do feel that Bob Booker was treated extremely badly, but that is another issue.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
As for McPhail, I have absolutely no idea what a player of his undoubted quality was doing in League One in the first place. During the summer he rejected a new, improved contract at Barnsley and turned down offers from a couple of other Championship clubs before arriving at Ninian Park.

Did McPhail not follow Risdale from Leeds to Barnsley?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here