Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
This is why i feel like we should just be outright saying to City and Marc 'sorry but he's not for sale this summer, we've only just signed him! Try again next year' or something to that affect. I dont see him as a player that would down tools next season if told that. You dont want to stand in a players way to progress but also when you sign a 5 year contract it would feel unjust for them to get angry at then not being sold after only 1 year of it.

To outright block a move to a club as successful as City might do us more harm than good.

We only paid £15.4m for Cucarella, so if we can flip him a year later for around £45m, we've tripled our money.

Looking at the bigger picture we would then have 2 examples of players who only needed to spend a single season with us to accelerate their careers exponentially.

We would ultimately become a serious option for the next generation of superstars. Players like Darwin Nunez would take us more seriously and choose us over more established names.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Marc Cucurella *SINGS on a five-year contract*

If White is worth 50m, Cucurella is worth a heck of a lot more considering we have no depth in that position to replace him. White was expendable at that price when we had Dunk, Webster, Veltman and Burn waiting in the wings.

The additional point is that the club are (probably) not looking to sell more than one big name per year (whom they’d ideally want to keep).

We’ve already sold Burn this year.

Beyond that, I’d wager that Bissouma, Trossard, Maupay and Mac Allister would be more likely to go, simply because of their contract situations.

Once one of those above players have left, it could be almost impossible to sign another Brighton player this window, even if you are Man bloody Citeh. Our Cucu is going nowhere. Love him.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
https://www.mcfcreport.com/post/rep...in-negotiations-for-brighton-s-marc-cucurella

According to this a loan move for McAtee mighr be included. In my opinion that is rubbish, although we were/are interested in him, we have only ever loaned 1 player in all the time we have been in the Premier League and that had an option to buy. We also don't want to sell Cucurella so wyh would developing someone elses player thrown into selling a player we don't want to sell make sense? If he was part of any deal it would be on a permanent deal, surely.

Didn't realise we had an option to buy on Izzy Brown. Not surprised we didn't take it!

It's ridiculous anyway, why on earth would we want to give game time to someone else's 19 year old midfielder, when we have our own young midfielders to develop - Caicedo, Mwepu, Alzate, Mitoma, Mac Allister, Moder , Richards - and the likes of Gross, March and Lallana also deserving of game time.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
https://www.mcfcreport.com/post/rep...in-negotiations-for-brighton-s-marc-cucurella

According to this a loan move for McAtee mighr be included. In my opinion that is rubbish, although we were/are interested in him, we have only ever loaned 1 player in all the time we have been in the Premier League and that had an option to buy. We also don't want to sell Cucurella so wyh would developing someone elses player thrown into selling a player we don't want to sell make sense? If he was part of any deal it would be on a permanent deal, surely.
What a terrible deal.

Why develop another club's young player for them ?

Cold, hard cash is better.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The additional point is that the club are (probably) not looking to sell more than one big name per year (whom they’d ideally want to keep).

We’ve already sold Burn this year.

Beyond that, I’d wager that Bissouma, Trossard, Maupay and Mac Allister would be more likely to go, simply because of their contract situations.

Once one of those above players have left, it could be almost impossible to sign another Brighton player this window, even if you are Man bloody Citeh. Our Cucu is going nowhere. Love him.
With the massive interest in a lot of our players, I suspect we will be moving to 2 big sales per season very soon.

Of course we won't ever get to the stage of pocketing a quarter of a billion by ripping up the team and selling 5 at once.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
To outright block a move to a club as successful as City might do us more harm than good.

We only paid £15.4m for Cucarella, so if we can flip him a year later for around £45m, we've tripled our money.

Looking at the bigger picture we would then have 2 examples of players who only needed to spend a single season with us to accelerate their careers exponentially.

We would ultimately become a serious option for the next generation of superstars. Players like Darwin Nunez would take us more seriously and choose us over more established names.

Or…… had we been 9th rather than 16th and BUILDING a team to challenge for Europe, rather than selling/weakening, then Nunez MIGHT have chosen us over Benfica…….
Potter and (more importantly) Barber has already said the club is under no pressure to sell this window, I think that the club needed to sell White last summer.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park

Tell you what, we already are a fabulous place to develop young talent! The whole football world knows that. But we are also the 9th best side in the Best League in the World (copyright Sky). We are far beyond the stage of pandering to the Toxic 6. If we keep this squad together there is every chance we can break into the very upper echelons of the PL and exponentially accelerate a young player's career. We have a seriously talented group of footballers who can give anyone a game. It's ALL ****ING MADE UP BULLSHIT anyway. We are Albion fans - we know Tony's modus operandi. We do not "Slap £Xm" on our assets. Any story that mentions this is just a fabrication. They're ALL fabrications until a player is holding up an Albion or competitor's shirt.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Or…… had we been 9th rather than 16th and BUILDING a team to challenge for Europe, rather than selling/weakening, then Nunez MIGHT have chosen us over Benfica…….
Potter and (more importantly) Barber has already said the club is under no pressure to sell this window, I think that the club needed to sell White last summer.

Benfica were always a better option for a South American, and still would be after Nunez's successful spell. But we are closing the gap.

Thinking about Cucarella, you can't build a team that might challenge for Europe with unhappy players.

Potter has said previously, when asked about player pathways to so called bigger clubs (not about Cucarella directly, but still pertinent) “It’s good for the players because then they know there’s a chance we can help their career and their life,”

If we now start blocking that pathway we will end up with disgruntled players who become demotivated and less effective.

We need to face the fact that we will occasionally lose players we dont want to, But still drive a hard bargain.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Biss gone now to see what happens next, maybe

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Johnny RoastBeef;10286654 If we now start blocking that pathway we will end up with disgruntled players who become demotivated and less effective. We need to face the fact that we will occasionally lose players we dont want to said:
Every player outside the top 4-5 teams will have a selling point to be reached. If and only if it is reached then players will/can be sold. Can we as a club keep selling 1 or 2 big players every year and keep climbing the table. It happened with BW and we improved our league position this season. If Biss is the only player we sell this coming season we have a good chance of climbing even higher up the league and into Europe which will attract better players and our other players wanting to stay. Two or more players being sold we will have to rely on incoming new players to take their places and that could take time for them to adjust.:shrug:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I’d be proper gutted if this one happened, there’s ‘stepping stone’ and there’s ‘taking the piss’ and I think this is more into the latter.
Those pricks don’t even need him, I fecking hate City.

Ditto

Stay with us Marc, who wants to be on the bench in rainy Mancland

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Remember that most of us thought top 10 this season was a pipe dream pre season. Quite few on here even mocked the idea.

Do not underestimate TB’s ambition and the club’s ability to reach it.

As a long time Albion fan it’s all very surreal to me.

I wouldn’t write off selling more star players this close season but feck me it’s exciting being an Albion fans these days.

Cucu will be gone if City offer enough

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Logically we would get the Cucurella replacement before we sell. Imagine trying to negotiate with someone if we’ve just trousered £50m for Cucu! And more practically we need to know if the replacement is up to it before Cucurella is sold.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Remember that most of us thought top 10 this season was a pipe dream pre season. Quite few on here even mocked the idea.

Do not underestimate TB’s ambition and the club’s ability to reach it.

As a long time Albion fan it’s all very surreal to me.

I wouldn’t write off selling more star players this close season but feck me it’s exciting being an Albion fans these days.

Cucu will be gone if City offer enough

We won’t ‘reach it’ if we become Southampton FC. Constantly getting pillaged isn’t my idea of ‘excitement.’ The upside is that you don’t feck with TB, so Dan Ashworth will know better than to send Newcastle knocking on our door.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We won’t ‘reach it’ if we become Southampton FC. Constantly getting pillaged isn’t my idea of ‘excitement.’ The upside is that you don’t feck with TB, so Dan Ashworth will know better than to send Newcastle knocking on our door.

We have hardly been pillaged, get a grip :lolol:

If you are not excited by what we have built, excitement is probably not your thing

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Southampton haven't been owned by a lifelong fan, so I wouldn't think there's much danger of that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here