Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Twitter now has loads of “journalists” saying we’ve put a £50m price tag on him. What nonsense, absolutely no chance has Tony named a specific price, we know from the BW deal that’s not how he does it. But at least the guess of the fee is becoming more realistic, earlier in the week some articles were still saying we’d let him go for £25-35m :D

The £50m quote comes from Alex Crook, TalkSport's football correspondent.

"Brighton have slapped a £50m pricetag on Manchester City target Marc Cucurella.City have identified Cucurella, 23, as a possible solution to their problematic left-back area.
The Seagulls’ valuation of the former Barcelona youngster may seem excessive, but owner Tony Bloom is a notoriously ruthless negotiator.
Former professional poker player Bloom believes Cucurella is worth just as much as England defender Ben White, who Brighton sold to Arsenal for £50m only last summer.
Chelsea are also keeping tabs on Cucurella but are unlikely to pay big money with Ben Chilwell edging back to full fitness."
https://talksport.com/football/1126...hamberlain-man-city-newcastle-dean-henderson/

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Whatever people are saying on here, I think someone either in the Cucu camp or at Man City has confirmed genuine interest. It reminds me very much of the Ben White transfer. Everyone was initially rubbishing it but it was being reported everywhere. Even the Guardian had it as their ‘most likely’ Man City transfer. The Athletic has reported it. Crook is a bit of a gobshite chancer but this is exactly what he was doing with White. As far as I know he hasn’t about Biss or Trossard or anyone else. No smoke without fire and, sadly, if City want him he is off.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Whatever people are saying on here, I think someone either in the Cucu camp or at Man City has confirmed genuine interest. It reminds me very much of the Ben White transfer. Everyone was initially rubbishing it but it was being reported everywhere. Even the Guardian had it as their ‘most likely’ Man City transfer. The Athletic has reported it. Crook is a bit of a gobshite chancer but this is exactly what he was doing with White. As far as I know he hasn’t about Biss or Trossard or anyone else. No smoke without fire and, sadly, if City want him he is off.

That same Guardian article had our "Most likely" transfer as Joe Rodon - which I suppose is possible, but "Most likely" ?

It didn't join up its thinking. If we sell Cucurella, surely our "Most likely" transfer is a left ( wing ) back ? ???

In fact the writer seemed to have done no research.
A cursory glance on the Internet would have highlighted Enciso as very likely. A slightly more in depth look would have revealed van Hecke is likely to join our senior squad, not a bought in centre back ( unless Duffy and Clarke also go ).

I shook my head when I read it.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The £50m quote comes from Alex Crook, TalkSport's football correspondent.

"Brighton have slapped a £50m pricetag on Manchester City target Marc Cucurella.City have identified Cucurella, 23, as a possible solution to their problematic left-back area.
The Seagulls’ valuation of the former Barcelona youngster may seem excessive, but owner Tony Bloom is a notoriously ruthless negotiator.
Former professional poker player Bloom believes Cucurella is worth just as much as England defender Ben White, who Brighton sold to Arsenal for £50m only last summer.
Chelsea are also keeping tabs on Cucurella but are unlikely to pay big money with Ben Chilwell edging back to full fitness."
https://talksport.com/football/1126...hamberlain-man-city-newcastle-dean-henderson/
I like 'notoriously ruthless negotiator' [emoji16]

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I’d be proper gutted if this one happened, there’s ‘stepping stone’ and there’s ‘taking the piss’ and I think this is more into the latter.
Those pricks don’t even need him, I fecking hate City.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I’d be proper gutted if this one happened, there’s ‘stepping stone’ and there’s ‘taking the piss’ and I think this is more into the latter.
Those pricks don’t even need him, I fecking hate City.

This is why i feel like we should just be outright saying to City and Marc 'sorry but he's not for sale this summer, we've only just signed him! Try again next year' or something to that affect. I dont see him as a player that would down tools next season if told that. You dont want to stand in a players way to progress but also when you sign a 5 year contract it would feel unjust for them to get angry at then not being sold after only 1 year of it.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That same Guardian article had our "Most likely" transfer as Joe Rodon - which I suppose is possible, but "Most likely" ?

It didn't join up its thinking. If we sell Cucurella, surely our "Most likely" transfer is a left ( wing ) back ? ???

In fact the writer seemed to have done no research.
A cursory glance on the Internet would have highlighted Enciso as very likely. A slightly more in depth look would have revealed van Hecke is likely to join our senior squad, not a bought in centre back ( unless Duffy and Clarke also go ).

I shook my head when I read it.

It's not by one of their staff writers, but someone from whoscored, ie a statistical bod. There may be a bit of 'science' behind the suggestions, but there's not too much thought, and certainly no holistic connections being made.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I live and work in Manchester and all my city supporting mates are certain he's joining them.

So do I. I’ve only ever found a couple who go to the Emptihad on a regular basis.
They are a spoilt bunch recently who think that they can get who they want, for the fee they want.
With Cucurella I’m sure they can get him if they pay £50m plus, but will they?
All about priorities and options. We are in the box seat.
Get £50m and we can get a nice replacement in like Sergio Gomez.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
If White is worth 50m, Cucurella is worth a heck of a lot more considering we have no depth in that position to replace him. White was expendable at that price when we had Dunk, Webster, Veltman and Burn waiting in the wings.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
https://www.mcfcreport.com/post/rep...in-negotiations-for-brighton-s-marc-cucurella

According to this a loan move for McAtee mighr be included. In my opinion that is rubbish, although we were/are interested in him, we have only ever loaned 1 player in all the time we have been in the Premier League and that had an option to buy. We also don't want to sell Cucurella so wyh would developing someone elses player thrown into selling a player we don't want to sell make sense? If he was part of any deal it would be on a permanent deal, surely.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
https://www.mcfcreport.com/post/rep...in-negotiations-for-brighton-s-marc-cucurella

According to this a loan move for McAtee mighr be included. In my opinion that is rubbish, although we were/are interested in him, we have only ever loaned 1 player in all the time we have been in the Premier League and that had an option to buy. We also don't want to sell Cucurella so wyh would developing someone elses player thrown into selling a player we don't want to sell make sense? If he was part of any deal it would be on a permanent deal, surely.

We’ve loaned at least 3 since our promotion to the PL

Izzy Brown from Chelsea.
Tim Krul from Newcastle, very quickly turned into a perm deal.
Aaron Mooy from Huddersfield, turned into a perm deal.

You are correct though I can only see us taking a player on loan now though with a purchase option.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here