Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Various reports on social media that the deal has been done for his transfer to Man City. But nothing on here that I can find. Hopefully that means the stories are just made up?

:facepalm:

Honestly, you pop out for a couple of hours.......

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
There is definitely a lot of gossip amongst Man City fans that a deal has already been done.
However, TB won’t sanction a sale unless it’s a very big offer and we feel that we have an adequate replacement.
I wonder whether this is more likely to happen next summer by which time we’ll have a replacement in and they will have a buyer for Zinchenko.
Fact is, apart from a very few people, we don’t know.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
We don’t know, but we do know. We had it with White and we’ve had it in the past- some players play a season and it’s fairly obvious they’re bound for a bigger club. If there’s any truth in the Man City rumours then he’s odds on off and it’ll be this season. Absolutely no reason for TB to stand in the way of what would be a dream move.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We don’t know, but we do know. We had it with White and we’ve had it in the past- some players play a season and it’s fairly obvious they’re bound for a bigger club. If there’s any truth in the Man City rumours then he’s odds on off and it’ll be this season. Absolutely no reason for TB to stand in the way of what would be a dream move.

Well, except his team would lose a key player...

But I pretty much agree with what you're saying. If City comes in, there's no "lets keep playing in Brighton for a year and maybe a bigger club will turn up". And there's no "maybe some club is going to pay more than City" either really, they generally pay well and for full/wing backs there seems to be some thresholds that clubs won't quite simply won't break. Some people say that TB won't look at a bid under £60m but that fee would make Cucurella comfortably the most expensive left back in the history of football and while I'm sure the club won't sell cheaply, I think it is a bit of a stretch to believe that TB would shrug at a £50m or even £40m bid.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well, except his team would lose a key player...

But I pretty much agree with what you're saying. If City comes in, there's no "lets keep playing in Brighton for a year and maybe a bigger club will turn up". And there's no "maybe some club is going to pay more than City" either really, they generally pay well and for full/wing backs there seems to be some thresholds that clubs won't quite simply won't break. Some people say that TB won't look at a bid under £60m but that fee would make Cucurella comfortably the most expensive left back in the history of football and while I'm sure the club won't sell cheaply, I think it is a bit of a stretch to believe that TB would shrug at a £50m or even £40m bid.

You're aware of how much they paid for Walker and Mendy in the same window, right? And that the market for the very best is higher than that now?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You're aware of how much they paid for Walker and Mendy in the same window, right? And that the market for the very best is higher than that now?

£52m each it seems, a couple of million more than I remembered it tbf. But I don't know if that much happened to the market regarding defensive players in the last few years. But yeah you have a point so £40m would probably be too little.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes - that is the date FA offices open to process the paperwork, deal with any international clearance and finalise player registration.

Nothing to say a transfer cannot be agreed or even signed before that.

It can be agreed but it cannot be 'done'.

Pritchard agreed a deal with us and changed his mind on the motorway, as did Stephen Ward who had been on loan with us. We agreed a deal with Wolves and Burnley gazumped us.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
£52m each it seems, a couple of million more than I remembered it tbf. But I don't know if that much happened to the market regarding defensive players in the last few years. But yeah you have a point so £40m would probably be too little.

AWB is the £50m benchmark to work against

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It can be agreed but it cannot be 'done'.

Pritchard agreed a deal with us and changed his mind on the motorway, as did Stephen Ward who had been on loan with us. We agreed a deal with Wolves and Burnley gazumped us.
Contracts can actually be signed before the transfer window opens. The FA cannot process them before the date, but they'll be valid in law.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
AWB is the £50m benchmark to work against

Disagree.

Unfortunately Brighton can't expect teams to be dumb enough to pay 10x the sane value of a player just because one single club is doing it over and over again. If Obi-Wan is to be taken into account, Cucurella should cost £500m and that is pretty unlikely.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park

Yes there is, because (1) he’s the chairman of the 9th best side in the PL (2) the club is sustainable without selling big every season and (c) any player under 27 has time in their side to get “dream moves”.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Yes there is, because (1) he’s the chairman of the 9th best side in the PL (2) the club is sustainable without selling big every season and (c) any player under 27 has time in their side to get “dream moves”.

Time will tell.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Contracts can actually be signed before the transfer window opens. The FA cannot process them before the date, but they'll be valid in law.

So why is the club hiding it? It’s usually open and honest about deals when they’re done.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
So why is the club hiding it? It’s usually open and honest about deals when they’re done.

What are the club hiding exactly?

There is a very very high chance that nothing has been agreed, no one with any credibility is reporting the whole "done deal" story. It's coming from such highly regarded twitter accounts called something like Transfer Newz Weekly and other accounts desperate to appear in the know, when in fact they've only been setup in the last month. When Fabrizio Romano or someone of his ilk starts mentioning it, then we should worry a bit more. Until then this is clearly to be filed under the normal transfer window BS.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014

Hypothetically if a deal was done we would want to keep it quiet for as long as possible. This would be to allow us to find a replacement and strike a deal with the selling club. If they knew of our desperation or / and the fee received they would likely inflate the fee they quote.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here