Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
When was the last time a fee+player deal actually happened? I genuinely can't think of any examples. It's certainly not going to work between us and City anyway, as even their rejects will be on wages that'll blow our structure out of the water.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Whilst he did have a fine season, particularly once Sanchez became first-choice keeper, I think it's fair to say that Ben White was only last year's PotS in the minds of love-sick Leeds fans. He'd almost certainly not have won without their hilarious intervention. Cucurella on the other hand was fans' and players' POTS, and probably won by a land slide. On the basis that he's got 4 years left on his current deal, it's going to cost City silly money for us to not get at least another season of massive hair.

The fact remains though, that selling a player that is quality is not just OK, it is necessary, as long as you get a good fee and can improve the squad overall.
We are essentially weaker in the CB department than we were through the sale of Ben White, yet we have a better squad overall through the additions we made. We won't be getting "offical printer ink partners" handing over cash to be associated with the club anytime soon, or be selling tons of merch to tourists, so we need to make player trading profitable, and make room for the next rising star to come in, to compete at the upper end of the table.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Ben White POTS, sold.
Cucurella and others bought with the proceeds.
Potter might get a bit pissed off if it happens every season, but I think he will manage to keep his toys in the pram. The model we have relies on selling players, it just needs to happen at the right price, so we have the funds to acquire the next POTS.

Yes, but it will be difficult to find another Cucu quickly. Also, we had decent back up already in the centre back positions. You are right that selling White hasn't really harmed us, but I think we'll struggle to stay Top 10 (Bloom's ambition) next year without Cucu.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
When was the last time a fee+player deal actually happened? I genuinely can't think of any examples. It's certainly not going to work between us and City anyway, as even their rejects will be on wages that'll blow our structure out of the water.

They did loan us Wayne Bridge for £10k a week, whilst they were paying him £100k a week, so sometimes you can get hold of a city reject player who wants more than you can pay.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Are we getting a little carried away? We got 50m for Ben White in part based on our investment in him, picking him up as a 16 year old, and investing in him bringing him up to prem standard (care of several lower league loans), and on his potential.

While there is room for improvement in Cucurella, he is a lot closer to approaching his prime and thus less of a potential buy, and more of a product buy. He also isn't a product we've invested a lot in.

The market is crazy (80m for Maguire, 100m for Grealish etc), and prices going up all the time so perhaps 50m+ for a left back we bought last summer isn't all that ridiculous. But I thought I'd raise the above, because it could be a factor, and maybe people won't be so disappointed/angry if he goes for "only" £30-40m.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Are we getting a little carried away? We got 50m for Ben White in part based on our investment in him, picking him up as a 16 year old, and investing in him bringing him up to prem standard (care of several lower league loans), and on his potential.

While there is room for improvement in Cucurella, he is a lot closer to approaching his prime and thus less of a potential buy, and more of a product buy. He also isn't a product we've invested a lot in.

The market is crazy (80m for Maguire, 100m for Grealish etc), and prices going up all the time so perhaps 50m+ for a left back we bought last summer isn't all that ridiculous. But I thought I'd raise the above, because it could be a factor, and maybe people won't be so disappointed/angry if he goes for "only" £30-40m.

I also think that at the level that those clubs are buying they are likely to expect a bit more consistent quality on the final ball for an attacking full back at £60m.

I'd be surprised if anyone went over £45m. Tony would be wise to hold on a season at that price

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Players like Lamptey, Cucurella, Veltman etc signed when Ashworth was here. Let's see how the recruitment goes in the summer. This is my only concern. Players come and go. We made excellent use of the White fee.

I'm completely confident that the excellent structure and personnel in the recruitment part of the club are more responsible than Ashworth. I think we'll carry on doing well without him.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

I don’t think the price is driven by the amount of time for development it’s about the market rate for a left back that has the performance and statistics that put them into the top of the PL in his position for the last season.

Brighton scouted him and spotted potential but there is still the risk if the player cuts it in the PL. Now it is proven he can and top clubs know if he can achieve those performances at Brighton he could go another level with them.

I actually rate Cucurella higher than Ben White he just looks like a top 4 player and will attract a top 4 price tag especially given the long contract we have him signed up to.

Would be gutted if he went as it’s a pleasure to watch him every week but can understand why he is being linked with the top clubs. One thing I am sure of is the club will be rightly demanding big money for any offer as we have plenty of contract length remaining so are under no pressure to sell.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Yes, but it will be difficult to find another Cucu quickly. Also, we had decent back up already in the centre back positions. You are right that selling White hasn't really harmed us, but I think we'll struggle to stay Top 10 (Bloom's ambition) next year without Cucu.

Exactly. I would go as far to say that it will take us years to replace him. If we have any ambition (and I know we do) we should not be selling him. Unless it is silly money. Not what he is worth - way above that.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

We got 50m for White because he's a really good player that Arsenal reckoned would improve their defence enough to pay 50m for. The fact that he came through our academy for 5 years is irrelevent to them and the fee wouldn't have been any different if we'd picked him up on a free from Leeds 9 months earlier. Besides, we probably only got Cucurella so cheap beacuse he had a transfer clause.

Also, Cucurella is less than 3 months older than White was at the time we sold him for 50m, so similar levels of potential.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm completely confident that the excellent structure and personnel in the recruitment part of the club are more responsible than Ashworth. I think we'll carry on doing well without him.
Surely the main reason for hiring Ashworth was to set up and put in place the systems we now have at the club? Yes, he is a very able man, and of course we're sorry he's gone - but in many ways you could surely argue that his work here was done.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I’m glad TB has more ambition than just taking the money otherwise we may not be in the PL if he took the offers for DS and AK. I’m not saying don’t sell ever but after one season I don’t think we will unless it’s stupid money which it probably won’t be for a left back.
And I'm not saying we should always sell, but if we sell for £40m to Champions League club, that would obviously mean the player wanted the chance to play at the highest level, we'd make a 100% (£20m ish) profit and would have no trouble attracting similar players to the club. I suspect we'd only sell if we had a replacement lined up anyway.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

If it was too easy, we wouldn't get a big fee for him, but we also don't know that the recruitment team doesn't have 2 in mind already and is itching to go and get one of them as they could be even better. Or maybe the plan is to take a look at Furlong or others from the academy in pre season, and go with them and Solly

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
And I'm not saying we should always sell, but if we sell for £40m to Champions League club, that would obviously mean the player wanted the chance to play at the highest level, we'd make a 100% (£20m ish) profit and would have no trouble attracting similar players to the club. I suspect we'd only sell if we had a replacement lined up anyway.

My guess is that the main motivator for TB to sell Marc as with any of these players is less about breaking even (yes of course he'd like to break even, but I don't think he expects us to at this stage) and more about "proving the pathway".

What he wants is to go out to the next generation of prospective signings and say, "come to us, play for a year or two and we'll not stand in your way if a dream move comes along" He'll also want the rest of the squad to know if they perform, they'll get their move if they want it.

The thing which I expect is in Marc's mind, is less about offending Brighton fans or that he likes the south coast and more about the world cup. He's not been picked for the Spain Nations League squad coming up. He's got a few months to leapfrog Alba and Marcos Alonso (tough, but do-able) and he's got to work out where he's best placed to do that. The answer is, probably with a move to City or Spurs.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I doubt we invested anything like the £15M we invested in Cucurella, in Ben White. Other clubs paid his wages for 3 of the seasons he was with us as a youth. The reason Cuucurella will cost a lot this season is that he has just had a ****ing brilliant season in the PL, and has 4 years of contract left, if he counted as a HGP he would be another £50M player to one of the big money clubs.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My guess is that the main motivator for TB to sell Marc as with any of these players is less about breaking even (yes of course he'd like to break even, but I don't think he expects us to at this stage) and more about "proving the pathway".

What he wants is to go out to the next generation of prospective signings and say, "come to us, play for a year or two and we'll not stand in your way if a dream move comes along" He'll also want the rest of the squad to know if they perform, they'll get their move if they want it.

The thing which I expect is in Marc's mind, is less about offending Brighton fans or that he likes the south coast and more about the world cup. He's not been picked for the Spain Nations League squad coming up. He's got a few months to leapfrog Alba and Marcos Alonso (tough, but do-able) and he's got to work out where he's best placed to do that. The answer is, probably with a move to City or Spurs.
Yes exactly that. The club plays the long game in these situations.

It's the same reason the club didn't stand in the way of Burn's move to Newcastle. He is a Geordie and so a move there was always going to fulfill an ambition of his. It wasn't a huge offer but he'd done a great job for us and with a profit realised, deserved his opportunity.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
If it was too easy, we wouldn't get a big fee for him, but we also don't know that the recruitment team doesn't have 2 in mind already and is itching to go and get one of them as they could be even better. Or maybe the plan is to take a look at Furlong or others from the academy in pre season, and go with them and Solly

Maybe, we'll see what happens

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Cucurella

Various reports on social media that the deal has been done for his transfer to Man City. But nothing on here that I can find. Hopefully that means the stories are just made up?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Well, I wouldn't trust social media, unless it's a reliable source. Then again, I wouldn't trust most transfer speculations on here either, including from me.
If City want him, and meet Tony's valuation, he'll be off. We can't lose from this situation. He stays, and we've got one of the best left backs in the world. He goes, and we have a huge sum in the bank, and I'm confident that the recruitment team will utilise that effectively.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here