Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Manchester United v Barcelona *** Official Thread ***

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Right. You can talk now. Watched it - on double speed in fact which sort of underlined just how breathtakingly brilliant Barca were. Utd have plodded along for the past two years, content to be in the top two of the Premiership to ensure Champions League Football, and not really having to develop much in doing so.

If anything, this shows how bad the system is that allows three other teams, other than the champions, to go through from certain leagues; United have learned nothing from their defeat two years ago. Once again, falling back on a cliché, 'men against boys'.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Barca were a class apart, Rooney scored agreat goal but that flattered Man U.

Barca are a joy to watch and I'm happy we have Poyet as manager and look to play football the right way.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Fair play to Barca they were immense however MUFC were to be fair poor on the night, although maybe the Premiershite is not so good after all ?

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
I really do fancy Man Utd tonight, they are playing excellent, quality football at present.

Hard luck. Beating Schalke was no test against a real team. Barca 12 attempts on goal, to 1.

Like the Albion, but of Europe ............. BARCA CHAMPIONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sep 1, 2010
Barca were a class apart, Rooney scored agreat goal but that flattered Man U.

Barca are a joy to watch and I'm happy we have Poyet as manager and look to play football the right way.

This indeed. When Poyet does depart, i think it will be a very very long time before Brighton see the likes of him again.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Hard luck. Beating Schalke was no test against a real team. Barca 12 attempts on goal, to 1.

Like the Albion, but of Europe ............. BARCA CHAMPIONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not really that bothered but if was a MUFC supporter I would be thinking we were not at the races today

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thought that Man U did well first half and contained Barcelona well but when it came to up the pace in the 2nd half they stood off of Messi and allowed him to run the game. What was Vidic doing when Messi scored his goal? He was just ball watching and offered no challenge or attempt to block the shot. Why was Evra dragged into the middle so much? Where was Berbatov when he should have been on the bench as it was obvious that Hernandez wasnt going to score?

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
How much have Madrid spent in the last couple of years on players/manager?

They couldn't get near Barca. No surprise Man U can't with their current team and the yank debt.

Barca are streets ahead of anyone. Teams who get near them are playing them on an off day. And they are very very rare indeed.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Fair play to Barca they were immense however MUFC were to be fair poor on the night, although maybe the Premiershite is not so good after all ?

The over-hyped PL requires many tall players in each side to counter the never ending batterings of Kevin Davies & Co, Rory Delap and a team of giants, Blackburn, Chelsea, and so on.

So even MU have to have many players whose attributes include great height like Vidic, Carrick, Ferdinand, Smalling, Fletcher, O'Shea, Berbatov.

But against an incredibly mobile and quick-thinking team of Barca, the giants looked statuesque.

Wondering if the macho and set-pieces PL didn't help preparation, with an ingrained style of play needed to win at the Brittania, Reebok and so on.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Although there is much about Man U to dislike I still wanted the 'English' team to win. Man U started well and still had a great chance at 1-1 but faded when they needed to be 110% throughout to be competitive.

IMHO Barca rarely needed to play above 90% of their potential and although Messi looked dangerous, never really looked to be in top gear. Man U's mistakes gave Barca the 2nd (failure to close down Messi before he could shoot) & 3rd (could have cleared it but didn't. Even made the anonymous David Villa look good.) goals. Both were well taken but Fergie will be unhappy at such unforced errors.

Thought Rooney did ok and Hernandez (still my bargain buy of the season) looked promising early on but faded. No one else really up with the game. If Man U want to compete at that level they need to clear out Scholes, Carrick, Valencia, Giggs etc and let Fergie bow out with honour - still on a high as Prem Champs. But are the Glazers willing to invest in the squad - or just service their own debts? Would love to see the special one (Jose, not our Gus) take over. Would cheer up the Premiership too, am fed up of hearing Fergie's moans about the referees, FA and / or media. Will be interesting to see what they do.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
How much have Madrid spent in the last couple of years on players/manager?

They couldn't get near Barca. No surprise Man U can't with their current team and the yank debt.

Barca are streets ahead of anyone. Teams who get near them are playing them on an off day. And they are very very rare indeed.

Current squads have cost to date:
Man City £401m (£355m in the Mansour era)
Real Madrid £399m (£276m in the Perez-Mourinho era)
Chelsea £351m (but £100m's more blown in the Abram' era on players now departed)
ManU £252m
Spurs £224m

Barca £218m, but even tonight Puyol, Busquets, Pedro, Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Pique (originally), all through youth system.

Great to see the most attractive team win the CL over the far greater spenders.

Perhaps adding DeGea, Ashley Young, and others, will outclass Barca in future seasons?

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Current squads have cost to date:
Man City £401m (£355m in the Mansour era)
Real Madrid £399m (£276m in the Perez-Mourinho era)
Chelsea £351m (but £100m's more blown in the Abram' era on players now departed)
ManU £252m
Spurs £224m

Barca £218m, but even tonight Puyol, Busquets, Pedro, Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Pique (originally), all through youth system.

Great to see the most attractive team win the CL over the far greater spenders.

Perhaps adding DeGea, Ashley Young, and others, will outclass Barca in future seasons?

Ashley young? Doubt he'll make much difference!!

The 1999 Man U side is the best of the modern era. And their team too was built around Beckham/Giggs/Scholes/Nevilles/Butt etc. Just goes to show however much you spend, the trick is a youth system with great players and a winning mentality.

Barca tonight were incredible.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thought that Man U did well first half and contained Barcelona well but when it came to up the pace in the 2nd half they stood off of Messi and allowed him to run the game. What was Vidic doing when Messi scored his goal? He was just ball watching and offered no challenge or attempt to block the shot. Why was Evra dragged into the middle so much? Where was Berbatov when he should have been on the bench as it was obvious that Hernandez wasnt going to score?

I said Barca would SPANK United and it would be 3-0. I wasn't too far wrong :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fergie just had a strop with the press. What a wanker.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I thought Man U played better than i expected. The opening spell was controlled by their blood and thunder, and i thought Barca didn't get involved for about 15 minutes. Once they settled into their stride they're pretty much impossible to play against. No one has managed to stop them and this spills over into the Spanish national team too. They are a class above all opposition and you can only hope for them to have an off-day to win. You have two choices really and that is to either press them high up and keep them on their toes, not allowing the prettiness to really unfold, or to sit back and let them fanny about like you would Arsenal. I think they tried the first, but when you're facing a team that is taught to play the most gentle and delicate game at a pace, then you can't help become exhausted and frustrated desperately chasing them down, especially when normally you are the ones dominating. I thought it was beautiful to watch and hope to god that Utd walk away from it a little humbled with the thought in mind to work as hard as they can to one day emulate the magic they were on the receiving end of tonight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here