Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Manchester United v Barcelona *** Official Thread ***

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am sure that I read that Santander Bank write off both Barcelona and Real Madrids debt each season so the money spent on transfers is immaterial.

Please, just accept the fact United were well and truly stuffed. They were given a lesson in football. And Fergie should be a little more gracious in defeat.

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
What's Ferguson said to ITV?

Been reading on twitter and all the comments coming out were quite positive and gracious (for him).

Particularly liked this one:
Fergie was asked which Barcelona player he'd sign if had a blank cheque. "One of the most stupid questions I've ever heard ... Mascherano"

:lol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Indeed HT. He is a hideous control freak. Football is better without him as far as i am concerned

Agreed. I also think he's quite a spiteful person these days. That nonsense about recalling his players from Preston when his son got fired sums him up. I just saw him on tv and he got shirty with a reporter who asked a legitimate question about, in Fergie's opinion where it went wrong tonight.

Tooting Gull made a good point about how his behaviour over the past years risks eating away at his legend.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I am sure that I read that Santander Bank write off both Barcelona and Real Madrids debt each season so the money spent on transfers is immaterial.

The debts aren't written off as they were revealed officially as being 370 million last year. They even had to take a 100 million plus loan out to sort cash flow problems.

Manchester United are obviously more in debt, but the circumstances are quite different.

However, the banks in Spain do appear to be ultra friendly to football clubs when it comes to debt. So to a degree, I think your point holds.

They do however generate a lot of income, since in Spain the football clubs sell their TV rights individually. They easily take home twice as much as Manchester United in TV rights.

Problem is that the biggest earning teams (after the big two), earn about a fifth of that.

The other advantage the big Spanish Clubs have is the lower tax rate for foreign players which I think has just been ammended. Foreign players were treated as foreign executives. Out of the top 60 foreign earning executives, 43 were footballers.

Last edited:

Sep 1, 2010
Agreed. I also think he's quite a spiteful person these days. That nonsense about recalling his players from Preston when his son got fired sums him up. I just saw him on tv and he got shirty with a reporter who asked a legitimate question about, in Fergie's opinion where it went wrong tonight.

Tooting Gull made a good point about how his behaviour over the past years risks eating away at his legend.

Yeah The PNE thing was pathetic, the guy is string pulling control freak. Fair point made about his reputation, he is making himself look a right prat

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

I think he was just defending his players, Van der Saar was clearly at fault (he even admitted as much), the reporter tried to lead him into saying so. Rightly so he was having none of it.

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Not sure Poyet is much different in terms of personality than Ferguson to be honest.

Bad loser, backs his players, blames the refs, doesn't like individual criticism.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not sure Poyet is much different in terms of personality than Ferguson to be honest.

Bad loser, backs his players, blames the refs, doesn't like individual criticism.

Poyet does not strike me as petty, spiteful and vindictive though.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

Indeed, much rather have that than a manager who singles out players for criticism like Dean Wilkins.

Sep 1, 2010

Poyet has also admitted when referee's have got it right despite it being a decision against the Albion, i don't think he is a bad loser at all, but no manager is going to like losing. As for individual criticism, he has not had much of that has he

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside, the Dylan Moran stand up on 4 at the mo is rather funny.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I particularly liked Pep Guidiola's post match comment:

'Weya modell ouraselves ona de philosofee ofa Gusa Poyett. For-it-is ata Bryton anda Hova Albion thata the true spirit ofa football is born anda bread'.

Great result, great guy, great team!

Up Manure! Sorry, right up Manure!!

TNBA

TTF

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Certainly seemed petty when he was slagging off Southampton's brand of football when they outplayed and beat us.

Yeah, fair comment.

Okay then, he's not as ruddy faced and has no bags under his eyes :)

Sep 1, 2010
Oh and how did Valencia stay on the pitch in the first half?
Oh and how did it take 1/2 an hour of the second half before he finally got booked?

Manure are just that......

TNBA

TTF

I was thining that..........Valencia was riding his luck big time. Maybe it was because he is named after another spanish club that confused the Ref

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here