Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man United fans in Rome...

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Southover Street Seagull said:
You are starting to sound like the Nimbies that are opposing Falmer.
Banning British fans from European football just because the Italian authorities can't control Italian fans.
I think you will find the experience the foreign fans enjoy over here is a good one. You don't here of fans being ambushed over here do you?

Basle fans at Liverpool a couple of years back ???

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
The Wookiee said:
Anderlect at Chelsea ???
ok very few,i used to drink in the same boozer of a few headhunters,they aways traveled,but knew the favour woudnt be returned.even the ruskies and the poles have very rarely come to our shores in numbers,the odd occurence maybe,but our (lads),travel most of the time to these places,and always seem to get the crack over the skull they like;) .Some go for that,some dont,shame the inocent ones get the same treatment mind

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
UEFA do need to do something about the behaviour of the Italians as there are countless examples of brutal, foul and violent behaviour. But the Man Utd fans were in the wrong to charge the fence and put themselves in the position of a face off with the Italian Police. The police were over zealous, but I have never been in that position, where you have to control a large crowd when things are threatening to escalate badly.

A season long ban for all the Italian teams in European competitions would certainly force the hand of the Italian FA to deal with this once and for all.

The Wookiee said:
Basle fans at Liverpool a couple of years back ???

Ok I stand corrected, but I would say over recent years the protection of away foreign fans in Britain has got much better.
The real problem in Italy is the authorities, they can't control the fans, hence a policeman dies in Sicily.
When has a copper ever died here as a result of football hooliganism?

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Arthur said:
Yes, clearly based on the berk above rational.

I too drank all day, didn't have one fight. Therefore I must be bad at this going to football melarky.

Northampton isn't in another country though is it knobhead?

And Man U fans have a history of going abroard and causing trouble!

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Taken from Red Issue:

The journey there on the buses was mad enough, a convoy surrounded by coppers leaning out their cars with batons and guns and italians on motorcycles giving us the 'cuthroat' sign.

In the ground 3 hours early, a lot of the lads who arrived later independently got attacked outside the ground in little groups by big groups of italians with bottles and knives, already a few bandaged before the game started.

I was sitting just behind a piece of plastic above one of the entrances to our section, right in the middle of our bit, overlooking where a load of reds were getting into the game - as we got closer to kick off, it got really crowded there already and there was nowhere to go, and loads of coppers already there.

There was a fair bit of shit flying between the fans when the game started, but when they scored it all just changed.

Basically, a few United ran at their end when they scored and their police went to work. It was sheer bedlam. As always in Italy, their tactic was to get the truncheons out and beat everyone back. They decided they wanted to push United further away from the end they ran than we had even been before the game, cramming us all further back - to do that they literally beat people back.

Anyone who happened to be stood in the way, looking or otherwise, got hit with whatever they had, truncheons, shields, obviously a lot of people had just been watching the game and weren't doing anything wrong but were still getting it from them. Obviously some reds tried to stand up to them and this just made it worse and others just didn't see why they were getting beaten but they just continued to be. It was insanity.

The worst bit though, was just in front of me in the entrance to our end, a whole load of their coppers came up from down below and wanted to get involved, but it was too packed, so they started to beat their way through.

It was unreal. Literally swinging truncheons at random heads to clear the way, headbutting people with their helmets, smashing their faces, pushing them down stairs, these people REALLY were doing nothing wrong. They had nowhere to move and they took horrendous hits from these fuckers. Again, there were people with kids who were angered, people with innocent mates who couldnt understand why they were being attacked who asked the question and were met with the same treatment.

It took about 15-20 minutes of constant thrashing from them to get the situation under control.

All the time bottles of piss and otherwise were flying both ways, coins, lighters, loads of lads walking around covered in blood and bandages.

It was f***ing horrible. The Italian police are scum. Yes, our lads weren't angels, but their indiscriminate behaviour is just shocking and it happens every single time with Italy. It makes you feel like Britain is f***ing civilised. Nothing will get done about it and it will happen again. Going away to Europe you run the risk of getting caught up in this shit. It's a fact of life.

f*** knows whats going on in town now. I got on the first bus and managed to grab a cab to my hotel (after hours in the ground). I hope every single red gets home safe and sound tonight.

:eek:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
adrian29uk said:
Trouble is we seem to shout our stupid mouths off abroad.

What does this look and sound like to the locals in Lille?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okoF3cwDbUE&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60BYRbK9qLs&mode=related&search=

They really are twats

How would you like it if a load of French, Spanish, Italian supporters acted this rowdy in Brighton. Would you not feel like telling them to shut up and show a bit of respect?
WTF, have you even been to a football match before? I've been on the tube many times when there's loads of Albion singing songs, is that disrespectful to the people of London?. Would you seriously prefer it if everyone just held hands and sang cum-by-ya

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The Wookiee said:

Basically, a few United ran at their end when they scored and their police went to work. It was sheer bedlam.

There you have the problem, it was cause by so called manu "fans".

Simple, fact, they are responsible for what went on in the stadium.

As for what went on afterwards, I agree 100% it was over the top, and disgraceful. But do not miss the point I am making here, manu "fans" caused it. If they had gone on the organised buses, if they had accepted with good grace that the other team had scored, if they had just got on with supporting their team, we wouldn't have had an issue.

I agree also with what Uncle Buck said, you're right, you should not have to travel in the organised groups, on organised buses. But in this case, the club and the authorities were right, its a fact, that they knew there was going to be trouble, you can't criticise their efforts to avoid trouble. Stopping british fans travelling might be draconian, but the alternative is what you saw last night. Sorry, but that is the fact of the matter.

As for me being nimbist, not really, I visit towns all over the UK watching football, and I have taken the advice of the Police on occasion, in particular, not to go out in Croydon with my stripes on when Albion are playing Palace, so I used the organised train, and had a perfectly good time. Also, when the Police advised against being seen in Cardiff in colours, I made sure they were not visible. Similarly, Swansea have made it abundantly clear that there are no pubs around their new ground that will allow away fans in, so I am not going to even try. I will ask my driver to stop a few miles short of Swansea and find a boozer in my good beer guide. As for matches abroad, I've been to a few with very little to report, suffice to say british teams weren't involved.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
anyone who was at stdio olimpica for Italy v England in 1997 will know that the carabinari do not need any excuse to beat up the english

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Superphil said:
There you have the problem, it was cause by so called manu "fans".

Simple, fact, they are responsible for what went on in the stadium.

As for what went on afterwards, I agree 100% it was over the top, and disgraceful. But do not miss the point I am making here, manu "fans" caused it. If they had gone on the organised buses, if they had accepted with good grace that the other team had scored, if they had just got on with supporting their team, we wouldn't have had an issue.
So lets have a different example going by your logic, if I walk up to a bloke in the street and call him a twat and he cuts my throat, would you say the same thing?
I can see that you're trying to look at both sides of the story, but you're missing the point the the punishment needs to be in proportion to the crime. 10 or so Man U fans run over to the segregation so all of them get battered fror the next 15 minutes, that just isn't right.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Billy the Fish said:
So lets have a different example going by your logic, if I walk up to a bloke in the street and call him a twat and he cuts my throat, would you say the same thing?
I can see that you're trying to look at both sides of the story, but you're missing the point the the punishment needs to be in proportion to the crime. 10 or so Man U fans run over to the segregation so all of them get battered fror the next 15 minutes, that just isn't right.

I am trying to look at both sides of the story, but whichever way I look at it those few (and it was way more than 10) manu people caused a lot of heartache for a lot of decent law abiding fans last night. If they had not done what they did, then the problem would not have existed.

I have never said that the punishment was not over the top, shit, it was way over the top. Your comments above insinuate that I possibly think the police were right, absolutely no way at all. But irrespective of what the police did, irrespective of how heavy handed they were, they did it in response to what the manu "fans" did, and if they had not done it, then there would have been no injuries.

I know what you are saying about this, but don't get me wrong, I just can't think of a suitable analagy

It really is now the responsibilty of those manu "fans" who charged the fence, every single one of them, to appologise to British football fans everywhere for tarring us with their disgusting brush, then apologise to the Italians. And after thet, the authorities can start working on what to do in future to prevent it happeneing again.

Yoda

English & European
Superphil said:
I am trying to look at both sides of the story, but whichever way I look at it those few (and it was way more than 10) manu people caused a lot of heartache for a lot of decent law abiding fans last night. If they had not done what they did, then the problem would not have existed.

I have never said that the punishment was not over the top, shit, it was way over the top. Your comments above insinuate that I possibly think the police were right, absolutely no way at all. But irrespective of what the police did, irrespective of how heavy handed they were, they did it in response to what the manu "fans" did, and if they had not done it, then there would have been no injuries.

I know what you are saying about this, but don't get me wrong, I just can't think of a suitable analagy

It really is now the responsibilty of those manu "fans" who charged the fence, every single one of them, to appologise to British football fans everywhere for tarring us with their disgusting brush, then apologise to the Italians. And after thet, the authorities can start working on what to do in future to prevent it happeneing again.

Exactamondo.

What they haven't shown over here is the stewards man handling the Roma fans from the other side. Literally throwing them in places.
I supose that wasn't heavy handed according to some on here, they would have deserved it. :rolleyes:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
ali jenkins said:
Northampton isn't in another country though is it knobhead?

And Man U fans have a history of going abroard and causing trouble!

Granted United have a large hooligan following but regardless of how many were there that were actually looking for trouble some of them got a savage beating from the people who were there supposidly to protect them!!

Have you ever been to Italy to watch football? I have it's f***ing horrible, I had fireworks fired at me, got chased by locals with baseball bats and lumps of wood and to add insult to injury clobbered by the old bill for my trouble!! All because I was English and was walking to the game.

Italians, cowards the lot of them, old bill hide behind their trunctions the locals behind knives and lumps of wood.

sid

Banned
Feb 16, 2007
Dave the Gaffer said:
if you were really really cinical, you could argue that europe had to put up with 20 years of english fans rioting in their countries.........perhaps this is payback.

but we are not cinical and its really dreadful
gaffer showing his true colours as ive said before a true plum:nono:

sid

Banned
Feb 16, 2007
Superphil said:
It is all out of order, and I would help out a fan if he was being beaten up by the police. But I wouldn't be getting amongst it in the first place, glass of piss or not.

Sadly, as usual, it is a small number of british people who charged the fence, who have contributed to this shameful incident over a few nasty words and a plastic glass or two. Those people, the italians who went against the other side of the fence and the police all have a lot to answer for.

It will be blamed on the brits, and the only way we are going to shake off this reputation is to stop brits going to away matches in europe. Then make the experience when the foreigners come the the UK a great one, and one that they will take back to their countries.

Prove to them that the brits are not hooligans. Perhaps then italy spain holland etc will deal with their domestic problems in the same way they were dealt with in the UK in the past.
get your head out of your arse :nono:

Pork Sword

Banned
Jan 5, 2007
It will not kick off in the return leg at the Ultras will not travel. No other country comes to England for bother. Too scared. All cowards.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Arthur said:
Granted United have a large hooligan following but regardless of how many were there that were actually looking for trouble some of them got a savage beating from the people who were there supposidly to protect them!!

Have you ever been to Italy to watch football? I have it's f***ing horrible, I had fireworks fired at me, got chased by locals with baseball bats and lumps of wood and to add insult to injury clobbered by the old bill for my trouble!! All because I was English and was walking to the game.

Italians, cowards the lot of them, old bill hide behind their trunctions the locals behind knives and lumps of wood.

Worse than that was that the Fatty Taxman out ran you when you were trying to get away from it all!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here