Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man United fans in Rome...

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Superphil said:
It is all out of order, and I would help out a fan if he was being beaten up by the police. But I wouldn't be getting amongst it in the first place, glass of piss or not.

Sadly, as usual, it is a small number of british people who charged the fence, who have contributed to this shameful incident over a few nasty words and a plastic glass or two. Those people, the italians who went against the other side of the fence and the police all have a lot to answer for.

It will be blamed on the brits, and the only way we are going to shake off this reputation is to stop brits going to away matches in europe. Then make the experience when the foreigners come the the UK a great one, and one that they will take back to their countries.

Prove to them that the brits are not hooligans. Perhaps then italy spain holland etc will deal with their domestic problems in the same way they were dealt with in the UK in the past.

Spot on :thumbsup:

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
I blame those Man utd fans who write books about them being a top firm. Puts all their fans at risk really.

I was over in Rome a few weeks back to watch Lazio. No trouble at all and fans really friendly but thats fascist for you a bit more disciplined :lolol:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Superphil said:
It didn't happen in the street, if they were on the official buses and followed the instructions given, then they made it to the ground safely.

10 Man Utd fans were stabbed in and around the City centre, many more were hurt.

Roma fans fought running battles with the police before the game, some were carrying machetes and scaffold poles:nono:

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
The Wookiee said:
10 Man Utd fans were stabbed in and around the City centre, many more were hurt.

Roma fans fought running battles with the police before the game, some were carrying machetes and scaffold poles:nono:

No different to a Friday night in Moss Side then.....

I find the Italians in general, to be the worst disgrace to football. They have been for a long time, unruly in mobs, bad examples on the pitch, and with awful (also unruly) policing.

Even at rock festivals they will pelt the stage with coins and stuff, to try and injure performers.

This furor in Rome is just another example, and we just hear about it at closer hand because an English club is involved.

If their police had any crowd-handling ability, they would create a large gap between rival fans, and only act on the perpetrators of missile-throwings, spitting and abuse.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Superphil said:
It didn't happen in the street, if they were on the official buses and followed the instructions given, then they made it to the ground safely.

Why should people have to go on the official buses? Surely their safety should be protected by the local authorties? Sadly the Italian police seem incapable of doing anything other than baton charging English fans. The Italian police also seem to be incapable of liasing with the English police and taking on the board the tactic of visible but non confrontational policing.

During the last World Cup, there was little trouble. The German police listened to the advise given on how best to control the English fans and every time there was a large group they did not baton charge it (this is a favoured tactic of the Brussels police and the Polish police just hit everything, the Azerbijian police are more interested in bribes and the Bulgarian police nicked my water bottle). Instead the German police were pretty good a nipping any potential trouble in the bud, sometimes by moving people on and sometimes by simply letting things run their course.

Going back to official coaches, have you ever been to football abroad on an organised trip? It is a pain in the arse, you are moved at a set time, often get minimal time to see the city you are in, taken to the ground 3 hours early etc. Half the fun of these trips is a few days in a different city, having a look around, a few beers, a bit of food, a laugh with other fans and the football to sober up.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
NMH said:
If their police had any crowd-handling ability, they would create a large gap between rival fans, and only act on the perpetrators of missile-throwings, spitting and abuse.
Spot on. One flimsy fence and all the police on one side of it. I f***ing ask you. :nono:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Uncle Buck said:
Going back to official coaches, have you ever been to football abroad on an organised trip?

Guessing by some of the responses to this thread I'm guessing quite a few of the people haven't abroad let alone to watch football abroad.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Arthur said:
Guessing by some of the responses to this thread I'm guessing quite a few of the people haven't abroad let alone to watch football abroad.

But that never stops them.

Remember when an Albion fan was deported during Euro 2004, some on here were calling for the club to ban him, even though they had not heard all the evidence.

Have to say I was not surprised last night that the Italian police had baton charged the English fans, it is one of those nailed on events that happen when English teams play in Italy.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
It's so ridiculous.

Put a line of police on the Roma side and it wouldn't have happened. Tossers.

Yoda

English & European
Simster said:
Spot on. One flimsy fence and all the police on one side of it. I f***ing ask you. :nono:

If it were the case of a 'flimsy fence' there would have been NO Man U fans there. The Stadio Olympico is one of a handful of stadiums that is up to the new strict regulations that come inot effect after what happend in Catania.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
A number Man U went looking for a row, got it, now bitching. Yeah they got a beating, most who did were prob in the thick of the "larging it" let em get on with it. Italian old bill hate English.

Superphil said:
It is all out of order, and I would help out a fan if he was being beaten up by the police. But I wouldn't be getting amongst it in the first place, glass of piss or not.

Sadly, as usual, it is a small number of british people who charged the fence, who have contributed to this shameful incident over a few nasty words and a plastic glass or two. Those people, the italians who went against the other side of the fence and the police all have a lot to answer for.

It will be blamed on the brits, and the only way we are going to shake off this reputation is to stop brits going to away matches in europe. Then make the experience when the foreigners come the the UK a great one, and one that they will take back to their countries.

Prove to them that the brits are not hooligans. Perhaps then italy spain holland etc will deal with their domestic problems in the same way they were dealt with in the UK in the past.

You are starting to sound like the Nimbies that are opposing Falmer.
Banning British fans from European football just because the Italian authorities can't control Italian fans.
I think you will find the experience the foreign fans enjoy over here is a good one. You don't here of fans being ambushed over here do you?

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Superphil said:
What about the united fans who went charging over to the dividing fence as soon as the goal went in and started smashing against it, why do that? Those individuals showed no restraint, and what happened afterwards could be put down to them.

No-one comes out smelling of roses here, but the fans who start these things up are the ones at fault. And last night that was united fans and roma fans running headlong into the security fence and trying to smash it down. Each and every one of them is a tosser of the highest order, and they bring shame to their clubs, their other fans, and to football in general.
post of the day,they cause problems all over europe every year,france,italy portugal,out of the 5000 that went,i bet half were up for it:censored:

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Last edited:

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Brighton till i die said:
the return leg should be an interesting night on the streets of mancheser......

i got a feeling they'll be some boro fans in the crowd and in the pubs too on the night!:)
never happen,lads from abroad never show at grounds fact

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here