Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man United fans in Rome...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
hang on....

united fans had trouble with the police in Lyon in the last round.

united fans have trouble with the police in Rome this round

Celtic took nigh on 10,000 to Milan in the previous round with no trouble whatsoever!

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Dave the Gaffer said:
hang on....

Celtic took nigh on 10,000 to Milan in the previous round with no trouble whatsoever!
Are you trying to say people from Cornwall, Devon, Dorset & Hampshire are all hooligans?... :ohmy:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
much ado about nothing , from what I saw the UTD fans that got hit were the ones charging the fence to Roma's so fair play.

I'm sure Utd more than held there own outside anyway and showed those Wops that the English are no mugs abroad.

Last edited:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Dave the Gaffer said:
hang on....

Lyon let too many fans into one section of the ground, to prevent a crush United fans scaled the fence only to get attacked by the police.

Last night United after being goaded by a bunch of stinking greasy wops got beaten to f*** by the Italian police.

I've got no time for United what so ever but when they scored last night I was genuinely happy.

Fingers crossed that when those yellow bellied surrender monkeys come over here next week the United can reap some revenge. However seeing as we live in a civilised country I very much doubt that will be the case!!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Arthur said:

Fingers crossed that when those yellow bellied surrender monkeys come over here

I think that's the French. The Italians change sides.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Sadly this will go on and on and as usual I suspect it was one flash point that sparked the entire baton charge.

However Italy have a very poor reputation now and if they don't get their house in order may well end up like we did in the UK a few years back where the only option was to ban us from club European Football.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Beach Hut said:
Sadly this will go on and on and as usual I suspect it was one flash point that sparked the entire baton charge.

However Italy have a very poor reputation now and if they don't get their house in order may well end up like we did in the UK a few years back where the only option was to ban us from club European Football.

Quite right

Watch this video

http://news.sky.com/skynews/video/videoplayer/0,,30100-footy_2100,00.html

the beating the bloke about 35 seconds in gets is disgraceful. Also about 1 min 15 they actually drag a bloke back towards them to keep beating him. All Italian teams should be thrown of all competitions until their police learn how to behave!

timbha said:
from the clips shown on Sky most of the beatings appeared to happen when the United fans had returned to their seats (standing) whilst missiles from the Roma fans continued to rain down on them.

Police continuing to beat people over the head while they are lying helpless on the ground can never be justified.

Evidence enough that Roma needs to be punished.

The Police failed to sort out the trouble and went for the easy target.

Football and indeed Italy really does need an Italian club banned b4 more deaths etc happen.

Running at a fence should not provoke a riot.

Do foreign fans respect our country more, possibly.

I would imagine its more of the following:

British fans travel in the UK and Europe in huge numbers, the 10,000 Celtic fans for instance in Rome.

Foreign club fans do not generally travel to way games, in fact I went to an Espanyol - Barcelona derby and there were hardly any Barca fans there.

Secondly, I imagine that there is the fear factor of not to mis behave in England because of our reputation.

Most foreign fans don't get beered up!

Last edited:

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I heard a clip on the radio of a man u fan and she said:

"We had spent the whole day drinking in the main square, there were loads of Man U fans and the police were watching us all day. Then when we get in the ground they do this"

Now i may be reading more than i need to into this, but LOADS of Man U, sorry Brittish fans, drinking ALL DAY, thats just asking for a dust up aint it?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
ali jenkins said:

Now i may be reading more than i need to into this, but LOADS of Man U, sorry Brittish fans, drinking ALL DAY, thats just asking for a dust up aint it?

So because they have been drinking all day they deserve to be treated in the way they were ?

London Calling said:
Evidence enough that Roma needs to be punished.

The Police failed to sort out the trouble and went for the easy target.

Football and indeed Italy really does need an Italian club banned b4 more deaths etc happen.

Running at a fence should not provoke a riot.

Do foreign fans respect our country more, possibly.

I would imagine its more of the following:

British fans travel in the UK and Europe in huge numbers, the 10,000 Celtic fans for instance in Rome.

Foreign club fans do not generally travel to way games, in fact I went to an Espanyol - Barcelona derby and there were hardly any Barca fans there.

Secondly, I imagine that there is the fear factor of not to mis behave in England because of our reputation.

Most foreign fans don't get beered up!

The Italian fans were guilty of a lot more than the Mancs. They started the whole thing off by taunting ManUre fans. Not content with that, they were charging the barricade whilst many of their mates were throwing missiles (in exactly the same way the Juve fans acted at Heysel-which many choose to ignore/deny). Luckily, the stadium could handle the surges in a way Heysel couldn't-preventing another potential disaster.

The European football authorities are gutless and corrupt-they will NEVER ban Italian clubs for what we saw last night. They will never ban Spanish clubs for their despicable racism. They are stuck in the past and still believe that it is only English fans who cause trouble.

Those 2 clips show that the Italian police acted like total scumbags-I hope some of them get sued and lose everything.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I once asked a friend of mine who was in the Military Police if her gun was loaded when she was out on patrol, she answered "What is the point of having a gun with you if it's not loaded, what are you going to do with it?"

Well I'm getting fed up with this nonsense about the manu fans. The police are there with batons, tear gas and armour. FOR A f***ing REASON, they will use it if required. They have made it clear what their intention was by their demeanor, and their kit.

The Man U fans who couldn't control themselves and ran over to the fence are at fault, if they couldn't work out that the police were going to take no shit, then f*** me they must be stupid.

For goodness sake, when are those types of football fans going to get in into their heads and get a life. The vast majority of fans put up with abusive chanting, when we let in a goal, when we're at Palace, but we are capable of responding with a few expletives, a bit of verbal, a bit of "wanker" waving etc. Then we get on with supporting the team. I can't remember a time when I felt the need to try and smash down a fence (Bellotti invasion excepted) and attack the opposition supporters. Especially not with a police force armed with big sticks and tear gas lined up in the stand.

Sort yourselve out manu fans, you bring it on yourselves, don't expect any sympathy from me.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Nemesis said:
The Italian fans were guilty of a lot more than the Mancs. They started the whole thing off by taunting ManUre fans.

OOh, I so hate it when opposition fans taunt me, I come over all giddy and want to swear.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I am with Superphil on this. The police were overzealous, but the Man Utd fans put themselves in the position within striking distance of the police. It should have been very easy to avoid. I am not saying that the Man Utd fans are the only ones at fault, but they are not blameless. You can see from the video that they are 'taunting' the police with the standoff.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It seems to me that:

The morons from both sides who charged the dividing fence were a bunch of twats.

The police in Italy are f***ing clueless.

The Roma fans chucking missiles were inbred mugs who were probably nowhere to be seen outside (unless they were carrying knives of course).

As usual, how come Italian police do nothing about the home support hurling missile after missile at visiting British sides and then baton charge the Brits when they react? We see it time after time - recently Italy v Wales and now this.

To be honest, Italians will never forget Hysel, which is understandable. But their police really do need to learn how to control a volatile situation properly.

Superphil said:
I once asked a friend of mine who was in the Military Police if her gun was loaded when she was out on patrol, she answered "What is the point of having a gun with you if it's not loaded, what are you going to do with it?"

Well I'm getting fed up with this nonsense about the manu fans. The police are there with batons, tear gas and armour. FOR A f***ing REASON, they will use it if required. They have made it clear what their intention was by their demeanor, and their kit.

The Man U fans who couldn't control themselves and ran over to the fence are at fault, if they couldn't work out that the police were going to take no shit, then f*** me they must be stupid.

For goodness sake, when are those types of football fans going to get in into their heads and get a life. The vast majority of fans put up with abusive chanting, when we let in a goal, when we're at Palace, but we are capable of responding with a few expletives, a bit of verbal, a bit of "wanker" waving etc. Then we get on with supporting the team. I can't remember a time when I felt the need to try and smash down a fence (Bellotti invasion excepted) and attack the opposition supporters. Especially not with a police force armed with big sticks and tear gas lined up in the stand.

Sort yourselve out manu fans, you bring it on yourselves, don't expect any sympathy from me.

I think you may act a bit differently if youe were having bottles thrown at you and had been attacked and ambushed outside the ground.
This is what was said on Radio last night, that Utd fans had been ambushed outside the ground, with wepaons like baseball bats being used. You also forget to mention the problems when Boro went there too. I personally blame the Italian authorities for this, they can't control their football fans in their own country let alone visting fans.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Southover Street Seagull said:
I think you may act a bit differently if youe were having bottles thrown at you and had been attacked and ambushed outside the ground.
This is what was said on Radio last night, that Utd fans had been ambushed outside the ground, with wepaons like baseball bats being used. You also forget to mention the problems when Boro went there too. I personally blame the Italian authorities for this, they can't control their football fans in their own country let alone visting fans.

I would have been very upset if I had gone in one of the bus services specially laid on for the manu fans and got ambushed outside. But I still wouldnt have felt the need to charge down the security fence inside the ground. Remember, the authorities told the manu fans not to go into town, not to use public transport. It's not right, I know, and I see your point, but the instructions were there, if you don't take advice don't expect sympathy, but the reaction in the ground was just asking for trouble.

As for missiles in the ground, again, I take your point and I would have been really f***ed off, but I am a grown man, and I know that I would have been able to control myself and move the other way in the stand to get away from the missiles, plastic glasses if I'm not mistaken.

The italian authorities need to deal with this, perhaps they should ban away fans in European games till they clear up the mess. None of this is really right, but harsh measures must be taken to protect football fans and the reputation of football in general.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here