Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
In all seriousness, this "Phone 111 if you have any concerns" thing is laughable. Has anyone every tried that? I have had two experiences - the first one was when my MiL asked to go to the Walk In surgery in Eastbourne with pain in the chest area after a chest infection. This is a 78 year old woman with angina. The surgery said they had no doctor appointments left so in lieu of A&E, I phoned 111 at around 7pm on a Sunday night. After 15 minutes on hold, we were promised a call from a doctor within 2 hours. At 3am, I received a call (We called from my mobile although left her details as the contact details) from the doctor - 8 hours later.

Then last summer, my girlfriend had been up all night with crippling stomach pains. I phoned 111 at around 4:45am and after chasing them on their 2 hour promise, got a call from a doctor at 7:30am - telling her to go to her own GP.

I have no idea what the waiting time will be when a whole host of people who had a Chow Mein a year ago start phoning up.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
In all seriousness, this "Phone 111 if you have any concerns" thing is laughable. Has anyone every tried that? I have had two experiences - the first one was when my MiL asked to go to the Walk In surgery in Eastbourne with pain in the chest area after a chest infection. This is a 78 year old woman with angina. The surgery said they had no doctor appointments left so in lieu of A&E, I phoned 111 at around 7pm on a Sunday night. After 15 minutes on hold, we were promised a call from a doctor within 2 hours. At 3am, I received a call (We called from my mobile although left her details as the contact details) from the doctor - 8 hours later.

Then last summer, my girlfriend had been up all night with crippling stomach pains. I phoned 111 at around 4:45am and after chasing them on their 2 hour promise, got a call from a doctor at 7:30am - telling her to go to her own GP.

I have no idea what the waiting time will be when a whole host of people who had a Chow Mein a year ago start phoning up.

My views and experience of 111 are basically unprintable!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
My views and experience of 111 are basically unprintable!
The eventual diagnoses justified calling them rather than 999 or A&E - Broken rib from the coughing for the first and Gastroenteritis for the second - so the general idea is sound but they appear to be woefully understaffed and just there to ask questions to rule to the need for a 999 call.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

I believe the reasoning behind it is because when you eventually get through you will either be:

1. Dead
2. No longer contentious
3. Not infected and no longer require quarantine

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
My wife was taken Ill on Friday and called 111 at 10:30 pm. After explaining her symptoms I was informed she must not self medicate until speaking to the doctor, who would call within the next two hours. She finally got a call from the doctor at 11:30 am next day, only after me calling 111 throughout the night

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the point of 111 is for people with minor medical issues to log their issue with the NHS, feel better about it and not block up A&E. if anything is remotely serious they'll defer to a doctor or simply send to GP/A&E to avoid liability.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Some wag on twitter reckons we have a new song...

We’re Brighton and hove albion, we’re ending the world.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
National news reporting from outside the County Oak Medical Centre.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
suggested by who though?
Whom!
anyone with a reliable insight to death rates in China, or anyone interested in drumming up the latest doom?
The example I'm thinking of was a Chinese lady in Wuhan talking to the news, saying that her uncle had died from the disease, but that the death certificate didn't (or wasn't going to) say it was due to the Coronavirus. I don't know whether she was correct or not.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I could understand the number of people having the virus being understated but not how many have died. The WHO are in China at the moment so should be keeping the Chinese on their toes regards reporting deaths.
Some people are dying without going to hospital, and there's no sure way of making sure all deaths are correctly reported, particularly in a country like China, where the government control information.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's getting closer.
Graham Potter and family are renting a house in Hove while work is done to their new home. The owners of the house they're renting have contracted Coronavirus :ohmy: :flounce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here