Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm sure his pregnant fiance is delighted he has such a cavalier attitude to his own (and presumably by extension his family's) well-being.

Why is the hospital allowing him to take photo opportunities? I wouldn't want him anywhere near me if I was in.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I'd like to agree with you, but then you read this and, well it doesn't SOUND like normal flu does it..

The coronavirus outbreak in northern Italy has so overwhelmed the public health system that officials are taking extraordinary measures to care for the sick, seeking to bring doctors out of retirement and accelerate graduation dates for nursing students.

The region of Lombardy is the epicenter of Italy’s outbreak, registering the first positive test of the northern cluster and now counting at least 1,254 of Italy's 2,036 cases. Alarmingly, 10% of Lombardy’s doctors and nurses cannot work because they tested positive for the virus and are in quarantine, the region’s top health official, Giulio Gallera, said Monday.

With officials expecting Italy’s numbers to continue rising for at least another week, until containment measures begin to show their effect, the health care emergency in Lombardy has reached a crisis point.

Hospitals in hard-hit Lodi and Cremona were so overwhelmed at times last week, with more sick people arriving than could be accepted, that they closed their emergency rooms and new patients were taken elsewhere.

“Effectively some of the hospitals in Lombardy are under a stress that is much heavier than what this area can support,” Dr. Massimo Galli, head of infectious disease at Milan’s Sacco Hospital, told Sky TG24. “This epidemic is on a scale that is larger than anyone could have thought, imagined or prevented.”

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/italys-health-system-limit-virus-struck-lombardy-69331977

My point was, having been funeral directing for over 30 years, I can recall at least two flu outbreaks in this country and beyond that were far worse than this is at present. I do wonder if part of the furore is caused by the world wide woke society?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
My point was, having been funeral directing for over 30 years, I can recall at least two flu outbreaks in this country and beyond that were far worse than this is at present. I do wonder if part of the furore is caused by the world wide woke society?

I think for once the Woke generation is pretty much blameless. The kids just go about their business as usual, staring at their phones, with or without masks. The mainstream media on the other hand have been an absolute disgrace in talking up the thing, largely to fill the void now that Brexit Bollox has largely gone away and reporting of widespread flooding of Northern towns and villages you never heard of before has become the new normal

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think for once the Woke generation is pretty much blameless. The kids just go about their business as usual, staring at their phones, with or without masks. The mainstream media on the other hand have been an absolute disgrace in talking up the thing, largely to fill the void now that Brexit Bollox has largely gone away and reporting of widespread flooding of Northern towns and villages you never heard of before has become the new normal

True. I saw the front page of the Express at a friend's house last week with banner headlines of KILLER VIRUS.
The Express use such hyperbole even in their weather forecasts. KILLER FREEZE or KILLER HEATWAVE.

It's a wonder any of us survive from day to day.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
I still can’t work out how it has happened that the USA and UK have voted into power, two of the biggest and most utterly useless individuals possible?

It makes it easier to understand when you remember who was the leader of Labour at the time. Even his own members refused to vote for him.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

You have answered your own question.

The issue isn't what has happened to date (although that's not great in China etc...), is the potential situation in a few weeks/months if measures aren't taken.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Apparently 1-5 will miss work with the bat virus.

Shortly to be downgraded to 1 in 50,000. Or possibly 1 in 500,000 :lol:

This minor epidemic is being massively fuelled by major media-driven hysteria. A bit like how the Daily Express loves to terrify pensioners with a wide variety of souped-up news stories on a daily basis. Best advice is to just turn off yer telly news and stop looking at newspapers

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Labour’s Chris Bryant make a point of order. He says many of the toilets on the parliamentary estate do not have soap. Will the authorities sort this out so the Commons can set an example.

Dame Rosie Winterton, the deputy speaker, says the House of Commons commission will discuss this at its next meeting.

Or just get some ****ing soap eh.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

Sorry woke was probably the wrong analogy, its the panic caused by the media, because news is now 24/7 not just on TV and Radio but social media as well, is this being made out to be far worse than it actually is?

The Spanish Flu outbreak of 1918-20 killed 50 million worldwide, I wonder how today's media would have covered that?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
If 10% of Italian doctors have got the virus, can't they continue working on the patients, presuming that they are not too ill? I thought some people with the virus were showing no symptoms, so presumably if that is any of the 10%, they can carry on, as long as they are isolated from other doctors and nurses that don't have it.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Carriers of the common cold can be expected to infect a further 1-2 people. Carriers of Coronavirus can be expected to infect at least a further 4 people.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Sorry woke was probably the wrong analogy, its the panic caused by the media, because news is now 24/7 not just on TV and Radio but social media as well, is this being made out to be far worse than it actually is?

The Spanish Flu outbreak of 1918-20 killed 50 million worldwide, I wonder how today's media would have covered that?

Hard to compare. "Media" today is like five big, tightly connected news bureaus that everyone else is parroting and some things get enitrely ignored for reasons you need to figure out yourself.

At the same time, the Western world is a lot less eventful now - read some old paper from 1900-1920 and you'd get shocked with how many events that happened more or less every day that would now be considered the undisputable top one talking point.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Carriers of the common cold can be expected to infect a further 1-2 people. Carriers of Coronavirus can be expected to infect at least a further 4 people.

Seems to be very contagius yes. All 24 cases in Sweden had visited northern Italy, which is not exactly the most common travel destination here.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Turns out the club are taking it seriously: they've just banned Academy parents from going into the training ground buildings from today. They'll have to wait in the car park while the kids do training instead of going inside to wait like they normally do.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You have answered your own question.

The issue isn't what has happened to date (although that's not great in China etc...), is the potential situation in a few weeks/months if measures aren't taken.

Indeed. Where do those (not you) think this graph is heading?

Screenshot 2020-03-03 at 14.41.30.png

I'm far from being a virology expert (obviously), but I know enough about mathematical modelling to believe it's not about to level off any time soon.'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here