Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
because is not flu. coronavirus not the same as influenza. there are some drugs that can help, usually given for HIV (they act against viruses in general) but otherwise there's no specific vaccine.

Is that a serious question?

(I mean the second bit).

I think you need to be briefing the leader of the US, because it is pretty clear no one else is. :mad:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
He's got no editing skills, no common sense, no real sense of reality, just an ego maniac winging his way as leader of the free world.

He's clearly got no grasp on the situation at all. Terrifying really that a world leader at this stage of a crisis can be asking if a standard flu vaccine could be used. It beggars belief. It's beyond satire because it's satirical in itself. Iannucci is out of a job.

It's like some deranged personality cult. I wonder what (and you'd assume) highly intellectual pharmaceutical CEOs are thinking when their president makes such a ridiculous suggestion. Of course diplomacy and courtesy kicks in. But they must be thinking the same.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The Highlights for me from the press conference.

Children if they catch the virus have a much milder version
The vast majority of people will just have a mild infection (so basically flu)
The spike in deaths is found in people over 80.

So a lot of hysteria for something only slightly worse than normal flu.

I would argue less than some of the flu epidemics we've had in this country over the last 30 years.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Doubt they'll find anti bac hand sanitizer, seen the small 50mm Cien Lidl brand one that costs about 79p being flogged on eBay for £9 :ohmy: lots of people clearing shelves and trying to profit.

Surely anti-bacterial hand gel won't do anything against a virus anyway?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The media and general hysteria around this is the thing that will cause much more damage than the virus.

All common sense has gone out of the window and we are on the verge of descending into chaos

D

Deleted member 22389

I'm not worried for myself or young kids, don't fancy getting it, but rational mind says I'll be fine.

I am worried about the Mrs though and if any one of us gets it, youd likeky all get it before anyone realises. Anybody with young kids knows the amount of viral crap kids can bring from school.

I understand your situation. My wife's a teacher and asthmatic, I also have a 5 year old. We just got to hope the government can keep these numbers down by contacting those who have had contact, and for the rest of us to be sensible. We know this isn't going to blow over anytime soon, but the longer this country can keep the numbers down the closer we will get to a vaccine.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

From hands to mouth is one of biggest sources of transmission. As Driver8 says, decent anti bac used regularly will kill it on your hands its what's being advised.. Avoiding touching mouth, nose or rubbing eyes with hands is also the official advice. Though none of it guarantees anything, just limiting the odds a bit.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

hand sanitisers will kill bacteria and virus alike. not to be confused with drugs you ingest, where different ways bacteria and virus work need different drugs.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Irony is lost on some. Thought the !! Might give it away

Of course it's not a serious question. Every regular nobody on this forum knows it's a ridiculous notion. It's laughable the world's most powerful leader who is as thick as pig shit doesn't.

Apologies, didn't recognise the context.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It's. A. Form. Of. Flu. FFS.

Wash yer hands. You'll be fine :rolleyes:

The most virulent symptom of this outbreak is the media feeding frenzy which is amplifying the thing out of all proportion

I would argue less than some of the flu epidemics we've had in this country over the last 30 years.

I'd like to agree with you, but then you read this and, well it doesn't SOUND like normal flu does it..

The coronavirus outbreak in northern Italy has so overwhelmed the public health system that officials are taking extraordinary measures to care for the sick, seeking to bring doctors out of retirement and accelerate graduation dates for nursing students.

The region of Lombardy is the epicenter of Italy’s outbreak, registering the first positive test of the northern cluster and now counting at least 1,254 of Italy's 2,036 cases. Alarmingly, 10% of Lombardy’s doctors and nurses cannot work because they tested positive for the virus and are in quarantine, the region’s top health official, Giulio Gallera, said Monday.

With officials expecting Italy’s numbers to continue rising for at least another week, until containment measures begin to show their effect, the health care emergency in Lombardy has reached a crisis point.

Hospitals in hard-hit Lodi and Cremona were so overwhelmed at times last week, with more sick people arriving than could be accepted, that they closed their emergency rooms and new patients were taken elsewhere.

“Effectively some of the hospitals in Lombardy are under a stress that is much heavier than what this area can support,” Dr. Massimo Galli, head of infectious disease at Milan’s Sacco Hospital, told Sky TG24. “This epidemic is on a scale that is larger than anyone could have thought, imagined or prevented.”

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/italys-health-system-limit-virus-struck-lombardy-69331977

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I still can’t work out how it has happened that the USA and UK have voted into power, two of the biggest and most utterly useless individuals possible?
Doesn’t say much about the voting population of the two nations or the choice of candidates given.

We’ve got a Trump clone equally as thick as the original. Laughable if it wasn’t so serious.

Coughs and sneezes spread diseases,
always use a handkerchief.
As Tony Hancock might say.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Stock markets bouncing back strongly today as the reality sinks in that the whole thing is pretty much scaredy-cat bollocks. The wise guys will no doubt have made their usual killing on the volatility of the markets
Wait and see what happens when we hit the spike...

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Just waiting for Paul Barber to warn that theyre worried there may not be any merchandise left in the club shop soon due to coronavirus affecting Chinese supply chains.

I suspect he is looking at branded masks as we speak. Instead of waving flags we will wearing these, at £5 a go.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Let’s bloody hope he gets it

I'm sure his pregnant fiance is delighted he has such a cavalier attitude to his own (and presumably by extension his family's) well-being.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Just waiting for Paul Barber to warn that theyre worried there may not be any merchandise left in the club shop soon due to coronavirus affecting Chinese supply chains.

More to the point, when are the BHA-branded face masks being stocked?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here