Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
My point was, having been funeral directing for over 30 years, I can recall at least two flu outbreaks in this country and beyond that were far worse than this is at present. I do wonder if part of the furore is caused by the world wide woke society?

whats the world wide woke society? Do you mean we're more aware of whats happening elsewhere in the world? I suppose that's true. With that in mind, do you read what they are saying in Italy and compare that to similar stages of those two flu outbreaks, were doctors saying similar things?

I expect you're right that if we end up with 10,000 deaths from coronavirus it will have felt a lot worse than one of those bad flu seasons, but with the same impact.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
whats the world wide woke society? Do you mean we're more aware of whats happening elsewhere in the world? I suppose that's true. With that in mind, do you read what they are saying in Italy and compare that to similar stages of those two flu outbreaks, were doctors saying similar things?

I expect you're right that if we end up with 10,000 deaths from coronavirus it will have felt a lot worse than one of those bad flu seasons, but with the same impact.

Apologies shouldn't have used the word woke, I think we've probably had far worse, but its 24/7 media coverage right across the globe so its highlighted more.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Just ordered some aloe vera gel and 99% rubbing alcohol to make my own hand sanitiser, considering all stock was gone in town earlier...

Fishing all the dusty half bottles of spirits from the back of the booze cabinet.... Finally some use for honey JD and blue bols

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
If alcohol is a preventative then Meths drinkers should be OK1

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My point was, having been funeral directing for over 30 years, I can recall at least two flu outbreaks in this country and beyond that were far worse than this is at present.

I doubt many would argue with that.

But it's the "at present" bit which is key. This one hasn't really started yet.

Is it too late to buy shares in an undertaker? Asking for a friend.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fwiw my Mrs has an autoimmune lung condition called sarcoidosis, she will be in v.high risk group for sure, she's convinced she will die if she gets it.
My family are in a similar position.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Good points, the mortality rate is still very much in doubt,and I expect wont be known for sometime. From various articles I have read today, there seems to be various reports from lower than a nasty flu, to higher!
Have you got a link to anything credible showing that this is less deadly than flu? I've not seen anything to suggest that. Flu kills maybe 0.1% of the people it infects, while this appears to kill more than 10 times as many - possibly a lot more.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
They could start by filling the soap dispensers in WSU, at least one of which was empty at 11.30 on Saturday.

And hot water which hasn't worked in the WSU for about 8 years

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Have you got a link to anything credible showing that this is less deadly than flu? I've not seen anything to suggest that. Flu kills maybe 0.1% of the people it infects, while this appears to kill more than 10 times as many - possibly a lot more.

One person infects on average four others. Flu infects two others on average.

The problem with this one is that medical workers will be in short supply as they can’t get immunised as they do with flu.

And those in risk categories can get immunised against flu but not against this.

Not sure why people on here keep saying it’s just flu

Bizarre really, presumably not in a risk category

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
One person infects on average four others.
Is that considered by authorities to be an accurate estimate? That's so much worse than they were saying a month ago, when we had the super-spreader from Hove.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Shortly to be downgraded to 1 in 50,000. Or possibly 1 in 500,000 :lol:

This minor epidemic is being massively fuelled by major media-driven hysteria. A bit like how the Daily Express loves to terrify pensioners with a wide variety of souped-up news stories on a daily basis. Best advice is to just turn off yer telly news and stop looking at newspapers

I'd like to think you are right, however, if it's serious enough for Johnson to actually have to chair meetings and press conferences it must be bad. The statistics are genuinely frightening, could well be highly contagious, high density clusters of infection likely and " elderly " and those with weakened immune systems and pre-existing medical conditions particularly at risk.... I wasn't worried til I remembered that I'm just about to hit the " elderly" bracket of 60 this year ! The low-ish fatality rate is still quite frightening if it is contracted by 80% of the population ( Government worst case scenario estimate ) plus it could immobilise 20% of the workforce at a time leading to food shortages and possible breakdown of law and order.

Surprised the FTSE is doing so well, lot and lots of uncertainty coming in the next 6-9 months but I'm willing to bet that if we get through this there will be a spending boom from those left who will be getting stuck in to their Bucket Lists with great relief at their second chance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here