Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Thankfully we aren't in the USA. People with symptoms aren't even getting tested over there because of their private health system.

$3000 per test isn't it?

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Peterward and trigaar. Mrs W has suffered with sarcoidosis for 6 years now, gets her care at royal papworth who have been brilliant, she has been on oral chemo (MTX) for 4 years and pred for 6 years.We’ve just flown into Perth WA to stay with our middle son who lives and works in Margaret River. She wasn’t going to miss this for the world, there are risks, but we took all the possible precautions for our 26 hour journey, and hopefully it pays off. Don’t put life on hold, if you can help it. Good luck. PS no one will believe a word of this, because they just dont!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Since the first death in China its estimated that over 4,500 people have been murdered in the world, over 4,000 have died in road accidents and sadly in excess of 3,000 have taken their own lives, (apparently this was up to last Friday) does this put the current Corona Virus death toll into perspective?
No, because as the virus spreads, the amount of deaths per day will increase significantly. I'm far more like to lose family members in the next year because of the Coronavirus, than the alternatives you've listed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
One person infects on average four others. Flu infects two others on average.

That isn't true. I've posted this before but in December 67 I had a very bad bout of flu where I was unconscious for three days. I was serving in the Navy, and admitted to sick bay.
I shared a mess which was about the size of a living room, with six other girls. We had 4 bunk beds. None of the other six caught it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
[TWEET]1234801752156835840[/TWEET]

What a ****ing idiot.
"You've got Coronavirus? Well don't be selfish, let's share it around to show how tough us Brits are."

Why would we be pleased to know he's spreading it around?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That isn't true. I've posted this before but in December 67 I had a very bad bout of flu where I was unconscious for three days. I was serving in the Navy, and admitted to sick bay.
I shared a mess which was about the size of a living room, with six other girls. We had 4 bunk beds. None of the other six caught it.

You know how averages work, right?

Smoking kills, but there will always be people who smoked 80 a day for 80 years and lived to be 100.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I still can’t work out how it has happened that the USA and UK have voted into power, two of the biggest and most utterly useless individuals possible?
I slightly hate myself for sticking up for the idiot Boris, but Trump is a whole other level of stupid.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Well done, you survived that particular 'flu, and they dodged it by chance, cleanliness or good immune systems, this 'flu is totally different. No one goes to the Roulette and backs "Red " every spin and wins forever.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You know how averages work, right?

Smoking kills, but there will always be people who smoked 80 a day for 80 years and lived to be 100.

Yes. Over a month ago, a superpreader arrived back in Brighton, had contact with a whole surgery in Hollingbury, which closed down.
Several hundred more have arrived back in the UK since then.

Over a month and we still only have 35 cases in the UK.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well done, you survived that particular 'flu, and they dodged it by chance, cleanliness or good immune systems, this 'flu is totally different. No one goes to the Roulette and backs "Red " every spin and wins forever.

My granddaughter caught Swine Flu in 2009. Nobody else in the family caught it.
Swine Flu was classed as a pandemic.

This Covid19 is still only an epidemic at present.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Yes. Over a month ago, a superpreader arrived back in Brighton, had contact with a whole surgery in Hollingbury, which closed down.

I do fear there is a very good chance, given the anecdotal evidence we are seeing in Italy, that the virus has mutated and become much more contagious since then.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My point was, having been funeral directing for over 30 years, I can recall at least two flu outbreaks in this country and beyond that were far worse than this is at present.
At present? Obviously this isn't a big deal here yet. The concern is because it's very likely to become one, so what on earth are you talking about how it is at the present for?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I do fear there is a very good chance, given the anecdotal evidence we are seeing in Italy, that the virus has mutated and become much more contagious since then.

For some reason Italy is a hot spot, but that isn't translating to other countries. People are going back to their own countries from Italy, but it isn't spreading in the same way.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Indeed. And news coming out of Iran is sounding pretty grim, with getting on for 2,500 confirmed cases, but their higher death ratio of 3.3% is leading people to suspect the government there might be supressing the real figures. If they can deny downing a passenger airliner before getting rumbled, I wouldn't put it past them.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
For some reason Italy is a hot spot, but that isn't translating to other countries. People are going back to their own countries from Italy, but it isn't spreading in the same way.

Yet.

Given the what we know about the incubation period then that isn't surprising. Lets see this time next week. I am certainly not condoning freaking out but some concern (which is increasing peoples awareness and understanding of basics like hand washing) is a sensible thing.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Indeed. And news coming out of Iran is sounding pretty grim, with getting on for 2,500 confirmed cases, but their higher death ratio of 3.3% is leading people to suspect the government there might be supressing the real figures. If they can deny downing a passenger airliner before getting rumbled, I wouldn't put it past them.

They also have a far inferior healthcare system. Which is why using data from China and translating it directly to the UK doesn't tell the whole story.

It's a complicated one. I guess it is probably sensible to fall somewhere in between the 'nothing worse than flu' and 'wipe out half the world' camps.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.

UK has 51 cases. So that's almost another 20 since you last looked. Have you never done a football accumulator?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
[TWEET]1234801752156835840[/TWEET]

What a ****ing idiot.

It turns out he went to Kettering Hospital where there are no coronavirus patients. He just can't help himself lying all the time.

[tweet]1234877746020593664[/tweet]

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

51 UK cases as of today, extra 12 today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here