Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The guy took it upon himself to eat fish tank cleaner. You’d need to be suffering from an acute dose of Orange Man Bad to blame that on Trump.

This is what the guy's wife said:

“Trump kept saying it was basically pretty much a cure,” the woman told NBC, before advising: “Don’t take anything. Don’t believe anything. Don’t believe anything that the president says and his people … call your doctor.”

Of course the guy shouldn't have taken chloroquine phosphate, and he wouldn't have if the president hadn't been so reckless.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The German anomaly:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/04/...oronavirus-death-rate.html?auth=linked-google

Tldr: they've got a lot of ICU capacity and have tested a lot.

this doesnt explain the Germany numbers. ICU capacity would have a bearing if at or over capacity and people die due to lack of care. testing bumps detection of virus, lowers the mortality rate. the real anomoly is not the mortality rate but the raw death rate, which is much lower than everyone else - 1/10th Italy, 1/5th France.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
this doesnt explain the Germany numbers. ICU capacity would have a bearing if at or over capacity and people die due to lack of care. testing bumps detection of virus, lowers the mortality rate. the real anomoly is not the mortality rate but the raw death rate, which is much lower than everyone else - 1/10th Italy, 1/5th France.

Were ICUs in Italy not overwhelmed? Some patients were transferred to Germany for treatment.

As you suggest, the testing in Germany means we are aware of a high number of cases there. Perhaps in reality they have less cases than elsewhere, significantly less than Italy and Spain. This would explain the low number of deaths.

By testing and contact tracing they seem to have managed to break the chains of transmission to some extent.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hancock absolutely busking (to use HWT's classic phrase) on the Marr Show. Can't count ventilator need, can't explain why people can't sit down in the sunshine, just keeps repeating "follow the rules". It's like watching a cross between Diane Abbott and a comedy policeman in a dystopian novel.

Glad I put on a nice CD by Haujobb, and bought birthday pressies for Mrs T online, this morning, rather than watch that.

I have taken a bit of a dislike to Handoncock. He's a salesman, and one who'd gladly hawk bear bile if that's what his employer told him to do.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Somebody that knows nothing about most things, and certainly about medical/epidemiological issues, demonstrating that they know nothing about these, while being deeply irresponsible because he's in a position of influence.

Without my scrolling the thread back to check, you could be referring either to Handoncock, or Vallance in my estimation.

There is a great phenomenon in the UK that when someone acquires a position a good number of the population assumes that the position is deserved. I guess this is how we put our lives in the hands of our GPs, and (in my case in 1989) or finances in the hands of a mortgage adviser. That went well in my case - misdiagnosed lactose intolerance that ****ed me over for 20 years, and a negative equity and worthless endowment that ****ed me over for 20 years.

Forgive me for not lying down and letting Handoncock and Vallance **** me over again. That said, they have me and everyone else by the balls right now, so all we can do is.....what they say.

Maybe one day the posession of genuine competance will be the primary arbiter of lofty appointment, and not simply the willingness to be a 'do-right' or possess the gift of bedazzlement.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The guy took it upon himself to eat fish tank cleaner. You’d need to be suffering from an acute dose of Orange Man Bad to blame that on Trump.

You underestimate the extent to which many Americans revere their President. A stronger love than many of us have for our Queen. That's why Trump needs to keep his fat trap shut. Many of my students eat out of my hand and I could easily warp their tiny minds with careless talk.

Sill....I can't help feeling that you have a point. There is something Darwinian about it - being of the type to spill your guts for any plum in the White House isn't necessarily the best genetic trait to pass on to the next generation. :shrug:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Hancock

Everybody wants to support our nurses right now and I’m sure there will be a time to debate things like that.

At the moment the thing that we’re working on is how to get through this. So I’m very sympathetic to that argument but now is not the moment to enter into a pay negotiation, now is the moment for everybody to be doing their very best.

I’d argue that a time when NHS staff are literally in danger of death is a very good time for them to enter a pay negotiation.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
His ventilator point was a good one - depending on your age, weight and sex the odds of a decent outcome on a ventilator may be significantly under 100%.

He shouldn't be promoting people taking particular drugs either.

There was a Dr Alex from Lewisham, or similar, hospital on 5Live this morning and he pretty much said the same thing.

Being intubated is very invasive and, for elderly patients, there may be little merit in pursuing that treatment for reasons including chance of a successful outcome and quality of life etc. Dr Alex stressed this is not new and related to Covid-19, and that it has long been standard procedure.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
People who need the drug can't get their prescriptions.

True. I take 200mg of hydroxychloroquine a day. I am part of the Sjogrens Syndrome Ass, and have seen people posting unable to get their regular supplies.
I am fortunate that I still have a month's supply so when do I ask for my repeat prescription? Normally I wait until I have a fortnight's supply left but I am tempted to ask this week.
Will I be contributing to the shortage? I don't know and I don't want to bother my GP by asking.
It isn't a life or death scenario but it does help massively with relief from joint/muscle pain, and chronic fatigue.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough

Hey, don't knock it as a concept :smile: Methylene Blue was originally a fish tank cleaner and the food grade version is now a nootropic. I tried it - it is subtle but good. Not sure it will help battle Coronavirus though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There was a Dr Alex from Lewisham, or similar, hospital on 5Live this morning and he pretty much said the same thing.

Being intubated is very invasive and, for elderly patients, there may be little merit in pursuing that treatment for reasons including chance of a successful outcome and quality of life etc. Dr Alex stressed this is not new and related to Covid-19, and that it has long been standard procedure.
The thing is, if you are old and have general health issues that mean you'll need a ventilator, then what exactly are you trying to achieve, because in many cases the reasons you need the ventilator are not going to go away.

With Covid-19 however, you're just trying to survive until your body has managed to fight off the disease, which it will in time, so the goal is to be back off the ventilator and out of hospital again. Maybe that isn't a realistic hope for some patients, but it might be a little different to those who are in terminal decline anyway.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The thing is, if you are old and have general health issues that mean you'll need a ventilator, then what exactly are you trying to achieve, because in many cases the reasons you need the ventilator are not going to go away.

With Covid-19 however, you're just trying to survive until your body has managed to fight off the disease, which it will in time, so the goal is to be back off the ventilator and out of hospital again. Maybe that isn't a realistic hope for some patients, but it might be a little different to those who are in terminal decline anyway.

As I posted yesterday, many care home residents' relatives are being asked to sign DNR forms including my sister in law, who has Power of Attorney, for my mother in law. This isn't just for CV19, but for anything including strokes and heart attacks. The doctor at that particular home has said patients won't even be taken to hospitals, but made comfortable where they are.
http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/showthread.php?379373-Care-homes-and-residential-nursing-homes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here