Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My FIL (90 with underlying health problems) went downhill quickly on Tuesday in his (excellent) care home. Was tested immediately and visited by paramedics and GP. No one thought it was CV19 because he’d had breathing problems before. Died yesterday pm and CV19 test came back positive. Another resident died 2 hours later. The virus is in and doing its worse. The fabulous staff are devastated.

Sorry to hear that. Condolences to all your family.
Ditto

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
My FIL (90 with underlying health problems) went downhill quickly on Tuesday in his (excellent) care home. Was tested immediately and visited by paramedics and GP. No one thought it was CV19 because he’d had breathing problems before. Died yesterday pm and CV19 test came back positive. Another resident died 2 hours later. The virus is in and doing its worse. The fabulous staff are devastated.

My sympathies, these are dark days. Lost a friend recently not due to Covid-19 but, sadly the funeral was restricted to close family due to the government guidelines, we will have to have a commemoration of his life later in the year we hope.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Fewer people tested though, >1,000 fewer than yesterday (6,570 people tested, 10,984 tests - so almost half had to have two tests? - yesterday was 7,651 & 11,764)

On the surface, that could have skewed the numbers. It would be interesting to look at hospital admissions. If there were fewer tested, perhaps that is because fewer people turned up at hospital?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Very sorry for your loss.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

That is terrible news, I am so sorry for your loss.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
On the surface, that could have skewed the numbers. It would be interesting to look at hospital admissions. If there were fewer tested, perhaps that is because fewer people turned up at hospital?

Possibly, yes - but I thought they were going to 'ramp up' testing of NHS staff. So, if there are fewer hospital admissions, then surely they should use whatever spare capacity they have to test staff?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Possibly, yes - but I thought they were going to 'ramp up' testing of NHS staff. So, if there are fewer hospital admissions, then surely they should use whatever spare capacity they have to test staff?
Agreed.

The lower amount may well be as I mentioned. On the BBC news, their correspondent said that in some areas (London was highlighted) hospital admissions had fallen. They displayed a graph which had two days of falling numbers. However other areas were still rising and obviously it's too soon to tell if it is an established trend.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well not 'ever', because at some point we hope to have a vaccine. But Chinese people returning to China now get put into isolation in locked hotels, and are tested for the virus daily. They're not doing that in an attempt to get herd immunity.

Indeed.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
dont we pretty much know there is a dramatic variation in symptoms? so the only question is how many are asymptomatic. the article cites an Italian study claim 50-75% (not sure why so uncertainy there), its not just the Chinese. anacdotal evidence is suggesting many people have it.

You may be right. I'm a skeptic, though. Trained to be. Like a fact ninja :wink:

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Might be worth signing up to this if a minute of our lives each day helps then good news and it is genuine not another data harvester.

COIVID Symptom Tracker lets everyone share valuable information on the spread and infection.

http://covid.joinzoe.com

Very much worth bouncing this, and urging people to use it. The data here https://covid.joinzoe.com/data is interesting too - eg. in Brighton and Hove, 14000 people are contributing, and 4% of those (50/60?) have symptoms (though obviously that doesn't mean they have 'it').

Knowledge is power, people, knowledge is power.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Don’t think so, this is just another minor scare. All these periodic viruses rarely kill more than a few nun died worldwide yet the media goes nuts about 2 deaths in China, a country with 3 billion people. I bet 2 people fell off ladders and died in China in last hour alone. Nah, seen and heard enough of these ‘outbreaks’ during my life to know this will pass without too much alarm. Yes I am being complacent but only because I’m right. We love an end of the world is nigh story and Hollywood has an awful lot to answer for!

LOL.

Sorry, just thought I’d give the first page or two of this thread a revisit to see what the outlook was back then. This isn’t intended as a criticism, hindsight is a wonderful thing. I wasn’t worried about COVID-19 in January either.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Either there has been a lot less flu around than usual in America these last couple of months or else a couple of thousand flu/pneumonia deaths have been classed as Covid.

9F55A9E6-F334-442C-A437-60FCE24713DD.jpeg

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Yep, although I should have said that we are <500 currently. Still positive though. I was expecting another rise today, i.e. 100+ deaths in the last 24 hours. 28 today after 87 yesterday is something positive.

In terms of Italy, we are looking at 11 March for the two week comparison.

So 827 in Italy two weeks ago. UK current total is 462. Positive trend, hopefully it will continue.

ETqVE9CXgAM4rV1.jpg

LOL.

Sorry, just thought I’d give the first page or two of this thread a revisit to see what the outlook was back then. This isn’t intended as a criticism, hindsight is a wonderful thing. I wasn’t worried about COVID-19 in January either.

View attachment 121775

Big week ahead for the UK...

Also quite concerning that not long ago we were looking at the positives of falling behind the 'two weeks behind Italy' scenario. But, over the last few days, we've jumped to being over the Italian figures from two weeks ago. As Wozza says, it's a big week coming.

EUxpXUEXgAAHqQX.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here