Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I shan't be going into one to find out, but I do wonder with the forecast as it is, particularly tomorrow and the concerns of people going out or congregating, whether the supermarkets have got charcoal and BBQ stuff in to sell. That's fine if you were doing one among your own household out back, but there'll be people who won't be able to resist temptation, are ignorant or just selfish and do the wrong thing and invite people round for one or go to one.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I don't buy it. A virus that can lead to no symptoms, or cause pneumonia so severe that people drown in their own pulmonary exudate?

As [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] has noted, there may be something wrong with the information coming from China and, increasingly, I am beginning to agree.

dont we pretty much know there is a dramatic variation in symptoms? so the only question is how many are asymptomatic. the article cites an Italian study claim 50-75% (not sure why so uncertainy there), its not just the Chinese. anacdotal evidence is suggesting many people have it.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Also in Iceland* https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/01/europe/iceland-testing-coronavirus-intl/index.html

* The country, not the freezer centre formerly known as Bejam.

Thanks, that gives even greater credence to the link I posted earlier.

This statement was telling, and pretty sad, from the chap who is their Head of Health:

He adds that many developed countries have an "amazing collection of talent" who could have "industrialized tests like this a long time ago" but "behaved like nothing was happening."

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Lockdown in Spain extended to 26th April. Talk of relaxing the measures somewhat next month but making masks mandatory.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
6 weeks seems to be the target for lockdown, to constrain the spread then you can apply contact testing to the few cases that pop up.

Sorry, 6 weeks from now or 6 weeks total (ie the initial 3 plus a further 3?)

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
U.K stats just in. 708 new deaths, 3700 new cases. New cases down on yesterday.

With the expected lag in mortality, the new cases are the thing to watch and that is not highly encouraging but it is something to grasp onto.

Fewer people tested though, >1,000 fewer than yesterday (6,570 people tested, 10,984 tests - so almost half had to have two tests? - yesterday was 7,651 & 11,764)

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
How do we test less people day on day? Aren’t we ramping up? Serious, non critical, question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
How do we test less people day on day? Aren’t we ramping up? Serious, non critical, question.

Very valid question. And that's what irritates me about their approach. Hancock said back in January that we were fully ready for this, and had a world leading test ready and waiting. Then it's 'PPE will be with everyone in days'. Days pass, and it's still talk about 'will be ready, ramping up, PPE will be got to front-line staff'. All things for the future rather than now. And also, this talk of the target of 10,000 tests a day being met is a bit misleading if it's really only under 7,000 actual people - the constant references to 10,000 a day implies 10,000 people. It's not.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Very valid question. And that's what irritates me about their approach. Hancock said back in January that we were fully ready for this, and had a world leading test ready and waiting. Then it's 'PPE will be with everyone in days'. Days pass, and it's still talk about 'will be ready, ramping up, PPE will be got to front-line staff'. All things for the future rather than now. And also, this talk of the target of 10,000 tests a day being met is a bit misleading if it's really only under 7,000 actual people - the constant references to 10,000 a day implies 10,000 people. It's not.

They're certainly ramping up the use of the phrase ramping up.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Those stats are only for those in hospital. Many more are dying in homes, and not being tested or treated.

13 in one care home.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-52165397

My FIL (90 with underlying health problems) went downhill quickly on Tuesday in his (excellent) care home. Was tested immediately and visited by paramedics and GP. No one thought it was CV19 because he’d had breathing problems before. Died yesterday pm and CV19 test came back positive. Another resident died 2 hours later. The virus is in and doing its worse. The fabulous staff are devastated.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
My FIL (90 with underlying health problems) went downhill quickly on Tuesday in his (excellent) care home. Was tested immediately and visited by paramedics and GP. No one thought it was CV19 because he’d had breathing problems before. Died yesterday pm and CV19 test came back positive. Another resident died 2 hours later. The virus is in and doing its worse. The fabulous staff are devastated.

Sorry to hear that. Condolences to all your family.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fewer people tested though, >1,000 fewer than yesterday (6,570 people tested, 10,984 tests - so almost half had to have two tests? - yesterday was 7,651 & 11,764)
Fewer people with symptoms admitted to hospital.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here