Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
At least bear bile may actually help some people (i.e. people without gallbladders), so he may not.

I don't understand the point you're trying to make.

The active ingredient ursodeoxycholic acid, is synthesized and sold as a medicine (albeit mainly in vet med). You don't need to abuse a bear to obtain it.

And most bear bile is used fraudulently to 'treat' contitions it is not 'suitable' for by 'traditional Chinese medicine' practitioners, i.e., charlatans.

'So he may not' what?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
True. I take 200mg of hydroxychloroquine a day. I am part of the Sjogrens Syndrome Ass, and have seen people posting unable to get their regular supplies.
I am fortunate that I still have a month's supply so when do I ask for my repeat prescription? Normally I wait until I have a fortnight's supply left but I am tempted to ask this week.
Will I be contributing to the shortage? I don't know and I don't want to bother my GP by asking.
It isn't a life or death scenario but it does help massively with relief from joint/muscle pain, and chronic fatigue.

bear in mind we cant just buy drugs here like in US, and hydroxychloroquine has been placed on export control list. i wouldnt expect shortages here.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
bear in mind we cant just buy drugs here like in US, and hydroxychloroquine has been placed on export control list. i wouldnt expect shortages here.

Yet I have seen people saying, their chemists have told them, it is out of stock.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Police just arrived near the donut, can’t see anyone just sitting around. Imagine how busy it would be down there on a Sunday like this.

85D325E7-9616-4BAF-9263-681D213B4B58.png

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I must have missed your video last weekend of the Florida megachurch that held Sunday services.

His google search alerts wouldn’t have picked that up.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
621 total U.K. deaths, 5900 new cases, which is a large increase on yesterday but 12400 tests were done compared to 9000 yesterday.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
I don't understand the point you're trying to make.

The active ingredient ursodeoxycholic acid, is synthesized and sold as a medicine (albeit mainly in vet med). You don't need to abuse a bear to obtain it.

And most bear bile is used fraudulently to 'treat' contitions it is not 'suitable' for by 'traditional Chinese medicine' practitioners, i.e., charlatans.

'So he may not' what?

Gosh, you are grouchy today. He may not try to peddle it as it would be useful, and he only peddles bollocks - got it?

Actually, if we are going to be serious tauroursodeoxycholic acid (TUDCA) and ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA), are sold as supplements for people without gallbaldders or who dont produce enough bile; they help to digest fats. I don't think they are sourced from bears here in the west though, like the Chinese do.

I guess there were too many assumptions in my light-hearted post.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
True. I take 200mg of hydroxychloroquine a day. I am part of the Sjogrens Syndrome Ass, and have seen people posting unable to get their regular supplies.
I am fortunate that I still have a month's supply so when do I ask for my repeat prescription? Normally I wait until I have a fortnight's supply left but I am tempted to ask this week.
Will I be contributing to the shortage? I don't know and I don't want to bother my GP by asking.
It isn't a life or death scenario but it does help massively with relief from joint/muscle pain, and chronic fatigue.

My wife asked her GP about any shortages last week, and he said that there was no problems as far as he was aware. But oddly, with her usual monthly prescription of drug cocktails came an unasked for further month's supply of hydroxychloroquine. So, whether he just slipped a box in to be on the safe side, I don't know.

I would re-order as soon as possible, and then again - you're a sensible person, and the drug is crucial for you long-term, so it's hardly mindless stockpiling along the lines of idiots hoarding bog roll.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
[MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] Sweden seem to be having a rethink https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ten-coronavirus-measures-as-death-toll-climbs

Not really. The article is a bit misleading. We are still doing our thing, which is - not officially of course - "let people die now, save people in the autumn". We want a decent number of people infected. Not too few, because then you'll end up in a cycle of lockdowns, letting people out, lockdown again. And not too many, because our healthcare system is weak.

So far the numbers are fine, but the government has said from the beginning that more measures likely will be necessary to slow down the spread during the peak, and they are now getting the legal tools to take this measures.

Its part of a process rather than a change in attitude. Our geographical situation (twice the size of UK but only 10m people) and culture makes a lockdown both very hard to enact and perhaps less necessary than in a lot of other countries where people actually hang out with their relatives etc.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My wife asked her GP about any shortages last week, and he said that there was no problems as far as he was aware. But oddly, with her usual monthly prescription of drug cocktails came an unasked for further month's supply of hydroxychloroquine. So, whether he just slipped a box in to be on the safe side, I don't know.
My brother got his repeat prescription of asthma drugs, and they gave him an extra month's worth. I guess it's just to save repeat visits at a time when they're asking people to stay home.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
My brother got his repeat prescription of asthma drugs, and they gave him an extra month's worth. I guess it's just to save repeat visits at a time when they're asking people to stay home.

Yes, possibly. Although the hydroxychloroquine was the only one that was extra, the rest was the same as normal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here