Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
The news from South Korea genuinely is positive though...

"South Korea's top public health official hopes that the country has already gone through the worst of the novel coronavirus outbreak that has infected thousands inside the country.

"We are hoping that we have passed the peak, taking the numbers into consideration, and cautiously expecting we have passed the peak," South Korean Health Minister Park Neunghoo said in an exclusive interview with CNN."

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/09/asia/south-korea-coronavirus-intl-hnk/index.html

Their solution appeared to be test everyone and isolate those who tested positive. That doesn’t appear to be our plan (if we even have one beyond “wash your hands”).

I can’t imagine that they would have let in unrestricted flights from Northern Italy like we do.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Their solution appeared to be test everyone and isolate those who tested positive. That doesn’t appear to be our plan (if we even have one beyond “wash your hands”).

I can’t imagine that they would have let in unrestricted flights from Northern Italy like we do.

Dont see much leadership from Johnson at all, it will all be reactive.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
A European Union expert said the UK had only a "few days" to implement measures to prevent an outbreak like Italy's, which is the worst outside China with 7,375 confirmed cases and 366 deaths.

Sergio Brusin from the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control told the BBC's Victoria Derbyshire programme: "The UK is in the same situation Italy was two weeks ago."

Are they wrong or simply scare mongering?

Why would you assume we aren't implementing measures?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

They're not actually testing many people in absolute terms. South Korea has a population of 51m and that piece states that they have the capability to process 15,000 tests per day. It would take over 9 years to test everyone, if everyone was tested once and only once, so it's likely they are still working on contact tracing of known cases but being incredibly vigorous with all contacts.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Im not assuming, i'm going via what the press is reporting and that's that after todays cobra meeting we arent going to be moving to delay phase (social restrictions of some kind), but staying exactly as we are in the current containment phase with no social restriction.

I do assume, however, the expert from the European centre of disease control is suggesting that in "their" opinion we have a couple of days to do this, if we dont want to find ourselves in the Italian situation within a couple of weeks.

The government guided by scientists are themselves saying that widespread further spread of transmission is "inevitable". If that is the science? why would you sit on your hands today. Its all reactive.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Didn't the PM last week claim one of the ways to deal with this would be to "take it on the chin"?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
They're not actually testing many people in absolute terms. South Korea has a population of 51m and that piece states that they have the capability to process 15,000 tests per day. It would take over 9 years to test everyone, if everyone was tested once and only once, so it's likely they are still working on contact tracing of known cases but being incredibly vigorous with all contacts.

Ok, not testing everyone but everyone likely to be a victim. 196,000 tests to our 20,000 odd.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
has he got a clear plan? or just bumbling along, blown around by events?

Hang on...

merlin_159996099_003bebfa-2f7b-4f93-b166-740f3cdada8a-superJumbo.jpg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I work with a highly vulnerable group of people. If we get a breakout at work I’ll still have to be there, no self isolating for us. But we are not panicking. Why? Because we have a solid plan in place for just such events. It’s tried and tested and didn’t involve any panic.
We’ll deal with it and we’ll press on. What choice do you have?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The government guided by scientists are themselves saying that widespread further spread of transmission is "inevitable". If that is the science? why would you sit on your hands today. Its all reactive.

sitting on hands would help reduce contact and slow spread. :D

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Ok, not testing everyone but everyone likely to be a victim. 196,000 tests to our 20,000 odd.

we have pretty much the same approach, test those reporting symptoms and recent contacts. we've just had far fewer reporting, so fewer to test.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Stupid, pathetic decision - if we know its goig to spread significantly, then whyy the FACK ARE WE NOT ACTING NOW?

Behavioral science.

Have you ever seen those adverts for sensodyne toothpaste?

The logic goes something like this, "I've been using sensodyne toothpaste, and I haven't been having any sensitivity. Guess I don't need to use sensodyne toothpaste..."

In this context it would go something like this, "We've stopped going out, stopped social gatherings, yet there is no widespread infection taking place, guess we can all go back to normal now then..."

In a perverse kind of way, you will need the spread to increase and you will need people to see a need for the action, before you take it, otherwise people will be half arsed about it, which is the last thing you want. You do it as late as possible, for as short a time as possible, and it is most effective. If you do it as early as possible, for as long as possible, it is least effective.

Once you understand that this is the logic, you also realize that actually deciding for yourself to start restricting your movements and social interactions would actually be a good idea on an individual level, even if giving that advice on a community level would risk it's overall effectiveness.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here