Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
No it doesn't. No idea where you've plucked that number from. My point is, the worst situation with see us with voluntary quarantine for a couple of weeks.

Given that the majority of cases show little to no symptoms, we know the mortality rate is a lot lower than 3%, however we don't know just how much lower. Obviously I don't want to dismiss the fact that some - mostly very old/ill - people will die, that is obviously not a good thing - losing relatives is awful.

But my point is the panic buying of food and loo roll is a ludicrous overreaction, so I am simply inserting positive news into this thread as and when it comes along to counter balance the absolute deluge of bollocks that's being put in here regularly.

I got that number from your percentage of 99.9%.

Of course overreactions are bad.

So are underreactions.

Not sure what you think is bollocks. I would have thought, looking at Italy, you would have started to realize that this is not something to be taken at all lightly.

"Italian doctors have warned medics across Europe to “get ready” for coronavirus in a letter revealing up to 10 per cent of all those infected with coronavirus need intensive care, with hospitals becoming overwhelmed..."

They said: “We are seeing a high percentage of positive cases being admitted to our intensive care units (ICUs), in the range of 10 per cent of all positive patients.

“We wish to convey a strong message: Get ready!”

They said Italian hospitals had seen “a very high” number of intensive care patients who were admitted “almost entirely” for severe lung failure caused by the virus and needing ventilators to help them breathe.

They said hospitals across the UK and Europe needed to prepare for a surge in admissions and cautioned against working “in silos”. They said it was vital hospitals had equipment to protect staff and that staff were trained in wearing the kit.

They added: “Increase your total ICU capacity. Identify early hospitals that can manage the initial surge in a safe way. Get ready to prepare ICU areas where to cohort Covid-19 patients – in every hospital if necessary.”

Latest figures show NHS intensive care units were running at around 80 per cent capacity at the start of March. Overall the NHS has one of the lowest ratios of hospital beds per head of population in Europe.

UK hospitals are already discussing how they will need to ration care to those most likely to survive in the event there are not enough beds, ventilators or staff to care for the numbers infected if the worst case scenario predictions prove accurate."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...y-doctors-intensive-care-deaths-a9384356.html

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Are you simply not aware that China have essentially locked up 60m people for weeks on end, something that is still ongoing.

It's incredibly draconian, but is also highly effective at stopping the spread.

Do you really think that if life was continuing as normal in Hubei the numbers would have fallen away as they have?

It's like you didn't read my post, or then later did and decided to selectively quote to ignore the relevant context.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

one of the interesting things in China is they've been able to throw any anti-viral at the problem to see what happens. this is more problematic in the west where approvals for use are stricter. there's no way there are "widespread" test in US for drugs not approved, and when they are denying there are even widespread infections.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Sensible.... In the Daily Torygraph?

Now there's a revelation, I always thought Anna Nicole Smith being with an 85 year old billionaire grandad was the most un-natural relationship I'd come across. Knowing the Clamp reads the Telegraph might top it!

I read an article in the Telegraph. I do not read the Telegraph.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This is your fact: "the absolute, absolute worst case scenario for 99.9% of us is that we have to sit in for a couple of weeks and watch netflix."

Good fact.

Also the toshiest-bit of your toshy-post :thumbsup: :p

I’m so sorry. You’re right. We are all going to die. Sorry for questioning it.

That was the one part of the post that didn’t contain facts, or comments that were backed by facts. I’m SO sorry I might’ve been 1% or 2% out.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You seem to be overlooking the fact that everybody staying at home for 2 weeks would be quite a big deal.

I’m not saying it wouldn’t be. But that IS the worst case scenario - ie probably won’t happen.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Way to miss the point. There were 80,000 cases in China, it DEFINITELY took hold there. If people's theories about exponential growth of this virus were accurate, they'd be looking at MILLIONS of new cases by now. There was 40 yesterday.

It's now buggering off from China, Japan is also seeing a slow in new cases, and you would hope we'll see similar in Italy as the quarantine takes it's effect. All of this is very positive news for everyone.

Yes, China took slightly draconian measures, and I reckon it will take the virus going to higher numbers for people to accept the same here, but if push came to shove the absolute, absolute worst case scenario for 99.9% of us is that we have to sit in for a couple of weeks and watch netflix.

You are starting to hear the odd line like "if we can get through til end of May without a major outbreak, we'll be okay". reading between the lines; "This isnt going to be anywhere nearly as bad as we thought". No doubt Boris et al will take credit for "halting" the virus while all alongthere was no need for any of this panic and assorted bullshit.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
You seem to be overlooking the fact that everybody staying at home for 2 weeks would be quite a big deal.

I think his point was that, if it does get out of hand, there is something effective we can do about it with relatively minimal casualties.

Those measures might not be pleasant, with serious economical consequences, but the figures out of China in the last few days show that it IS effective.

That is a far-cry from the alarmist "80% could be infected" rubbish going around right now. Check China's population against those infected. In fact, check the Hubei province (Ground zero with a similar population to the whole of the UK) against those infected.

We'll see if it will as effective for Italy in the next couple of weeks.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You are starting to hear the odd line like "if we can get through til end of May without a major outbreak, we'll be okay". reading between the lines; "This isnt going to be anywhere nearly as bad as we thought". No doubt Boris et al will take credit for "halting" the virus while all alongthere was no need for any of this panic and assorted bullshit.

Please, nothing sensible in here, Clampy.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I’m so sorry. You’re right. We are all going to die. Sorry for questioning it.

That was the one part of the post that didn’t contain facts, or comments that were backed by facts. I’m SO sorry I might’ve been 1% or 2% out.

You know what a strawman is, right?

Nobody said "We are all going to die".

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You know what a strawman is, right?

Nobody said "We are all going to die".

80% infected is absolute tosh, I assume you agree with that?

I’d be interested to know what you see as the actual possible worst case scenario.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’m not saying it wouldn’t be. But that IS the worst case scenario - ie probably won’t happen.

Ignor ethem. So little going on they get excited about news stories like this. Gives them something to do. You are of course, correct. People ignore facts and embrace the drama. NSC all over these days.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ignor ethem. So little going on they get excited about news stories like this. Gives them something to do. You are of course, correct. People ignore facts and embrace the drama. NSC all over these days.

I am surprised by a few though, I have to say. Posters I had down as levelheaded. Gives you an idea who you’d want in the trenches with you though at least, ha.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
80% infected is absolute tosh, I assume you agree with that?

I’d be interested to know what you see as the actual possible worst case scenario.

It wont get to 80%, the government would impose the ban on public gatherings, schools closing well before that. Joe public would also resort to staying in, getting the pasta on and enjoying the double quilted extra soft.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I am surprised by a few though, I have to say. Posters I had down as levelheaded. Gives you an idea who you’d want in the trenches with you though at least, ha.

Load of Woopsies. Still, at least they'll be okay for bog roll for the next few years. In the meantime i'll just keep wiping my arse with my neighbour's post.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here