Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I saw this and wonder why its not making bigger headlines. "Only "36 cases in Wuhan, and 4 elsewhere in China. Japan has noted steady falls in new cases as well. Given the sensationalised scaremongering that the press are engaged in I'm not surprised this good news is buried as a side note.

Fake news can work both ways of course

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I saw this and wonder why its not making bigger headlines. "Only "36 cases in Wuhan, and 4 elsewhere in China. Japan has noted steady falls in new cases as well. Given the sensationalised scaremongering that the press are engaged in I'm not surprised this good news is buried as a side note.

Because that's not what sells. PANIC is what sells.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Perhaps they had the vaccine all along!

2t1mnw.gif

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

Once the virus has taken hold in a population, reductions in infections in another population elsewhere isn't of much help.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Another sensible approach to the problem.

Unfortunately not many will read it, preferring instead to wallow in panic and speculation.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....-danger-coronavirus-panic-greater-crisis/amp/

Sensible.... In the Daily Torygraph?

Now there's a revelation, I always thought Anna Nicole Smith being with an 85 year old billionaire grandad was the most un-natural relationship I'd come across. Knowing the Clamp reads the Telegraph might top it!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

It is good news. So to achieve the same as the Chinese did in Hubei province, here in the UK (roughly similar population size), we will have to lock everyone down inside their houses, mobilise a mass supply of food by the government, establish 15 new hospitals in convention centres and stadiums, close every cafe, cinema, restaurant, pub, school, club, office, railway, airport and so on, and build 20 new mass quarantine centres for the 50,000 or so people with mild symptoms and their families.

And then we can have the same 'good news' as the people of Hubei province a couple of months later, with just 3,000 or so dead.

Excellent.

and then in the same post the words 'sensationalised scaremongering' are used :lolol:

Its very confusing....

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I am going to stop using the Tory phrase "the NHS free at the point of use" and instead use "Our NHS our not for profit health care"

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Once the virus has taken hold in a population, reductions in infections in another population elsewhere isn't of much help.

Way to miss the point. There were 80,000 cases in China, it DEFINITELY took hold there. If people's theories about exponential growth of this virus were accurate, they'd be looking at MILLIONS of new cases by now. There was 40 yesterday.

It's now buggering off from China, Japan is also seeing a slow in new cases, and you would hope we'll see similar in Italy as the quarantine takes it's effect. All of this is very positive news for everyone.

Yes, China took slightly draconian measures, and I reckon it will take the virus going to higher numbers for people to accept the same here, but if push came to shove the absolute, absolute worst case scenario for 99.9% of us is that we have to sit in for a couple of weeks and watch netflix.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
reckon we will get to a few thousand and will be much ado about nothing

This attitude will only cause a much bigger problem than if everyone is just sensible about where they go and what they do for a few weeks. The same as someone like Simon Jordan on Twitter piping up saying it's a massive over reaction so people read that and go about doing what they were doing thinking it's all nonsense.

There's no need to put a foil hat on and live in a bomb shelter with 1000 toilet rolls. Just take the advice from people who actually know what they're talking about.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Way to miss the point. There were 80,000 cases in China, it DEFINITELY took hold there. If people's theories about exponential growth of this virus were accurate, they'd be looking at MILLIONS of new cases by now. There was 40 yesterday.

It's now buggering off from China, Japan is also seeing a slow in new cases, and you would hope we'll see similar in Italy as the quarantine takes it's effect. All of this is very positive news for everyone.

Yes, China took slightly draconian measures, and I reckon it will take the virus going to higher numbers for people to accept the same here, but if push came to shove the absolute, absolute worst case scenario for 99.9% of us is that we have to sit in for a couple of weeks and watch netflix.

That would mean 65,000 is your worst case scenario. That is not the worst case scenario.

China's "slightly draconian measures" included sealing people in their homes with metal slabs closing off peoples front doors.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Every day I read a lot of tosh on NSC, but people are going to have to go far to write a bigger load of tosh that this today :)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That would mean 65,000 is your worst case scenario. That is not the worst case scenario.

No it doesn't. No idea where you've plucked that number from. My point is, the worst situation with see us with voluntary quarantine for a couple of weeks.

Given that the majority of cases show little to no symptoms, we know the mortality rate is a lot lower than 3%, however we don't know just how much lower. Obviously I don't want to dismiss the fact that some - mostly very old/ill - people will die, that is obviously not a good thing - losing relatives is awful.

But my point is the panic buying of food and loo roll is a ludicrous overreaction, so I am simply inserting positive news into this thread as and when it comes along to counter balance the absolute deluge of bollocks that's being put in here regularly.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Every day I read a lot of tosh on NSC, but people are going to have to go far to write a bigger load of tosh that this today :)

Facts are tosh? OK then.

How is it in upside down world? :lol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Are you simply not aware that China have essentially locked up 60m people for weeks on end, something that is still ongoing.

It's incredibly draconian, but is also highly effective at stopping the spread.

Do you really think that if life was continuing as normal in Hubei the numbers would have fallen away as they have?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Is there a cut-off at which they could announce the game on Saturday is to be played behind closed doors? Just wondering as they've announced the PSG vs Dortmund game is now behind closed doors.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Is there a cut-off at which they could announce the game on Saturday is to be played behind closed doors? Just wondering as they've announced the PSG vs Dortmund game is now behind closed doors.

I suspect this would be announced today, tomorrow latest, given the meetings taking place today.

Consensus on Radio 5 seemed to believe that is unlikely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here