Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The question of what is and what is not an underlying health condition I am not clear what this term covers, what percentage of the UKs population have underlying health conditions

A friend of mine can’t stop fitting new carpets. He’s Just been diagnosed with an underlaying health condition.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Try Newhaven or Seaford. We did our shopping on Friday evening and loo rolls available in Lidls & Morrison’s. I didn’t buy any because we have over half left from an 18 pack I bought 2 weeks ago.

So you were panic buying before it became trendy

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
The question of what is and what is not an underlying health condition I am not clear what this term covers, what percentage of the UKs population have underlying health conditions

i have a sore knee from when i fell of my bicycle so my mum has put a plarster on it but gave me some jelly and ice cream to make it better but so that makes me having a health condition to

Regards

DF

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In the first three weeks of January, when the outbreak in China was at it most virulent, 62 confirmed cases were admitted to seven hospitals in Zhejiang province. They all had a mix of flu-like symptoms (fever, cough, headaches and malaise) while in addition a CAT scan confirmed that the virus had also spread to the lungs to cause pneumonia.
For only one patient, however, was this severe enough to require treatment in intensive care. All survived. This case series, reported in the British Medical Journal, would seem fairly typical of the pattern of the outbreak outside the main centre in Wuhan.

Out of a population of 54 million (similar to that of the UK), there was just one fatality in 1,213 cases

The population of Zhejiang province is 54 million (roughly equivalent to that of the UK) where, as of last week, there had been a grand total of 1,213 cases in the past three months with just one fatality.

There is no reason why the experience in Britain should be much different so, rather than the millions of cases predicted by the experts, a more realistic estimate might be a readily manageable couple of thousand.
Surely everyone would agree that as a nation, we're more similar to Germany, France and Italy, than Zhejiang? They were the first to declare the top level of emergency to stop the spread of the virus. They have done far more to restrict the movement of people than we will.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Surely everyone would agree that as a nation, we're more similar to Germany, France and Italy, than Zhejiang? They were the first to declare the top level of emergency to stop the spread of the virus. They have done far more to restrict the movement of people than we will.

In the uk we shake hands. In Italy like most of southern Europe they kiss cheeks. They attend mass in large numbers (especially the old) and on a regular basis. My mum (Spanish) used to go at least twice a week. It’s these types of behaviours which will be at the root of Italy’s outbreak ...... and the fact that they ignored it for about a month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I don’t “do” Facebook as a rule, but did chortle when shown a post on there...

Evidently John Travolta was suspected of having Coronavirus, but it just turned out to be a case of Saturday Night Fever!!!

As an aside, will this be the “death” of Man Flu, as surely no-one is going to claim they have “flu” now, when in reality they have a cold!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Anyone applauding Chinese efforts at containment should read this

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-could-be-here-to-stay?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Is there actually a disease lab in Wuhan as reported in those conspiracy theories? Because this is working out perfectly for the Chinese, tanking the US economy and increasing surveillance in the wake of the Hong Kong protests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Just seen this on social media

For those panic buying toiletries and food, could you also remember to bulk buy condoms so you don’t reproduce

Thanks

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don’t “do” Facebook as a rule, but did chortle when shown a post on there...

Evidently John Travolta was suspected of having Coronavirus, but it just turned out to be a case of Saturday Night Fever!!!

As an aside, will this be the “death” of Man Flu, as surely no-one is going to claim they have “flu” now, when in reality they have a cold!

. He was investigated because he had chills that were multiplying, but he’s ok because he’s Staying Alive.

I’ll get my coat.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In the uk we shake hands. In Italy like most of southern Europe they kiss cheeks. They attend mass in large numbers (especially the old) and on a regular basis. My mum (Spanish) used to go at least twice a week. It’s these types of behaviours which will be at the root of Italy’s outbreak ...... and the fact that they ignored it for about a month.
So that's Italy. What about France and Germany? Do you think we're more like Zhejiang than France and Germany?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
i have a sore knee from when i fell of my bicycle so my mum has put a plarster on it but gave me some jelly and ice cream to make it better but so that makes me having a health condition to

Regards

DF

I certainly had you down as somone with underlying health conditions based purely on your posts on here

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Anyone applauding Chinese efforts at containment should read this

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-could-be-here-to-stay?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Is there actually a disease lab in Wuhan as reported in those conspiracy theories? Because this is working out perfectly for the Chinese, tanking the US economy and increasing surveillance in the wake of the Hong Kong protests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the effect of the virus might end up with the opposite affect making governments and businesses think about future resilience which in turn brings some production back closer to home, in the medium to long term be of a benifit to UK after exciting the EU time will tell

D

Deleted member 22389

I quite the opposite that this might make governments and businesses think about future resilience which in turn might bring some production back closer to home, it could be of a benifit to UK after exciting the EU

I hope so, we have been saying this for years. I would expect products to be more expensive as a result, however for me that's a price worth paying if that creates new manufacturing jobs.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Surely this will provide the kick up the backside required for our government to increase funding and recruitment for a stretched Nhs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here