Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Luis Suarez

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So he's denied racially abusing someone? and that's different to denying racially abusing someone how?

My point is from what's come out no-one at the time heard the abuse, they all responded the video. It would be pretty hard to prove his version of events is false if no-one else heard him say it at the time and the evidence doesn't contradict him.

I don't like Terry much but I don't see how unless something else comes out the could punish him. My only thoughts in his defence are I find it a little odd he ran to the other end of the pitch and then a racial insult at a player at the other end of and no-one heard this

Let's just wait and see what the CPS make of it. Terry's story does not add up to me and it's down to whether there is sufficient weight to the circumstances (presuming no other witnesses are found) to convince a jury beyond reasonable doubt.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Others have raised the issue of Britain being hypersensitive to racism. But, Patrice Evra isn't British. The majority of those 52 full internationals were not against brits. There were reports that Hernadez refers to Evra negrito, as you say the term is offensive to some (and only when uttered by certain people).

Britain isn't populated solely with brits, and there is a high number of foreigners in premier league football, meaning Suarez will be mixing with a lot of people who are not as hypersensitive to racism as Britain is.

It's not like he has necessarily been entrenched in British culture since his arrival, mixing with many different cultures, many of which aren't offended by his terminology.

And Even if he had, if you've been using a term without any pause to think about it for most of your life, then suddenly you're somewhere else, where it is an offensive term, it's not like it's a switch and you can just erase it from your vocabulary, if it's been second nature for so long it is likely to slip out occasionally.

So, it's not so simple as how long someone has been here, (nor in Holland).

Some great points here. As shown in this thread, even a lot of people who are born in this country and live here are quite understandably confused by what's acceptable and not acceptable here. And Suarez has been here for a tiny fraction of that time being around other people who haven't been here for very long either.

Brian Fairey

Southern Scouse
Dec 12, 2011
As an another aside (the hangover is easing slightly and I have finished off the rather fine quiche), did anyone else find Kenny's Tweet about not letting Suarez walk alone nauseating? They love it them scousers.
f*** off. Suarez is being made an example just because he plays for LFC. If he was a Man Ure player or John Terry, he'd have got a two game ban you soft twat.

No one does self pitying like a scouser.
f***ing MYTH. Have you ever BEEN to Liverpool. Anyway you lot can talk, out with the f***ing bucket just because you might get relegated in the late 90s for fucks sake.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
f*** off. Suarez is being made an example just because he plays for LFC. If he was a Man Ure player or John Terry, he'd have got a two game ban you soft twat.

f***ing MYTH. Have you ever BEEN to Liverpool. Anyway you lot can talk, out with the f***ing bucket just because you might get relegated in the late 90s for fucks sake.

Didnt your lot try to steal a Gulls Eye collection bucket one year?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Ahhh, the lesser spotted 'hard done by' Scouser, do you do jokes as well?

Brian Fairey

Southern Scouse
Dec 12, 2011
Didnt your lot try to steal a Gulls Eye collection bucket one year?
My lot? I'm Brighton too FFS.

Anyway, I went to a game back in 1991 (play off final, Wembley) and I saw Brighton fans rob one of the concession stalls on the concourse. Does that make all Sussex people thieves?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Anyway you lot can talk, out with the f***ing bucket just because you might get relegated in the late 90s for fucks sake.

Can you clarify 'you lot' pleae Brian. I thought you were a Liverpool AND Brighton fan, yourself?

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Unfortunately the whole argument just makes our pitiful FA more of a joke.
I know and understand Brazil well and I am a translator for my sins. If Suarez is guilty of anything it is ignorance of our culture and values.
if you are blonde and come from South America you will be called by all your friends and anyone who knows you "Alemao". That word means literally German.
They associate all blond people as being German. So for example if Suarez called Torres "Alemao" ie: "Blondie" would he have got an 8 match ban? Of course not because it is acceptable in our culture.
"Negrito" means in South America "Black guy" and is acceptable all over South America. It is associated with the colour black from which it comes, NOT from the word "Negro" more associated with slavery (Although that word of course derives from black).
The FA are just old men, who are way past their sell by date and really need to move on over.
It would have been far better to organise some cultural training course within the FA for ALL foreign players so that no excuses however relevant and truthful could be made again in ignorance.
However, do not hold your breath for the FA on that one!

Brian Fairey

Southern Scouse
Dec 12, 2011
I know and understand Brazil well and I am a translator for my sins. If Suarez is guilty of anything it is ignorance of our culture and values.
if you are blonde and come from South America you will be called by all your friends and anyone who knows you "Alemao". That word means literally German.
They associate all blond people as being German. So for example if Suarez called Torres "Alemao" ie: "Blondie" would he have got an 8 match ban? Of course not because it is acceptable in our culture.
"Negrito" means in South America "Black guy" and is acceptable all over South America. It is associated with the colour black from which it comes, NOT from the word "Negro" more associated with slavery (Although that word of course derives from black.
The FA are just old men, who are way past there sell by date and really need to move on over.
It would have been far better to organise some cultural training course within the FA for ALL foreign players so that no excuses however relevant and truthful could be made again in ignorance.
:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
"Negrito" means in South America "Black guy" and is acceptable all over South America. It is associated with the colour black from which it comes, NOT from the word "Negro" more associated with slavery (Although that word of course derives from black.
The FA are just old men, who are way past there sell by date and really need to move on over.

A brilliant post. Spot on. We have a lot to learn from South America.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Yes once in 1991 when we played at Anfield in the 2-2. Most of it was boarded up because its a right shit hole. Especially around stanley park where both fading giants play.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
It's pretty obvious they've made an exaggeration ban for Terry to get the same. As there's no evidence in the Suarez case the ban will be dodged on appeal, whether he did or didn't make any racist comments. As for Terry he'll get a 10 match and have a little difficulty appealling.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
"Negrito" means in South America "Black guy" and is acceptable all over South America. It is associated with the colour black from which it comes, NOT from the word "Negro" more associated with slavery (Although that word of course derives from black).
The FA are just old men, who are way past their sell by date and really need to move on over.

Agree, but they do speak a completely different language in Brazil to Uruguay, just to be pedantic.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
My comparison is that at the time of the riots, and the subsequent court cases, the government wanted to send out a message. Ditto with the FA and Suarez. This is all.
So what you're saying is that the sentence wouldn't have been so high if the FA hadn't wanted to 'send a message'? You don't think that a precedent and a bench mark has now been set?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Sprat to catch a mackerel. Like others have said if JT wasnt up for a charge as well then I dont think the ban would have been as long. This now gives them precedent to ban Terry for a long time.

However imagine the uproar if Terry only got say a 3 game ban.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Reading's John Mackie got an eight match ban for racial abuse, although five were suspended, in 2002.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
It's pretty obvious they've made an exaggeration ban for Terry to get the same. As there's no evidence in the Suarez case the ban will be dodged on appeal, whether he did or didn't make any racist comments. As for Terry he'll get a 10 match and have a little difficulty appealling.

JT's case is rather different to Suarez in that it is beyond an FA matter at this stage and being dealt with in a legal context by the Police / CPS etc. If the CPS they find there is case to answer there will be a court hearing and a potential legal sanction if JT is found guilty. Unlike the Suarez case there appears to be TV and other witness evidence. The only way the FA will get involved is if the CPS decide not to proceed (unlikely?) then the FA will have the dilemma whether it should take it's own action if the CPS decide not to proceed or if JT is acquitted in Court. Either way the lawyers will make a mint. Personally I can see JT missing most of this season as he will be made an example of (and rightly so) if found guilty.

Won't help the public's view of natural justice (and racial tensions in London) if JT gets away with this, so there is a wider scenario than just the footie element.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here