Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Luis Suarez

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Maybe this is how racism will be stamped out?. A player will now twat an opponent as opposed to using insulting racial language. Vincelot was ahead of his time. Had he said 'Hey honky dont slap me' he'd have got 8 games......but his clever thinking meant that justice was delivered with only a 3 game ban.

Maybe you're right, it must be all part of some master plan.

I hope John Terry's punishment is way over the top as well, I am willing to accept a massive injustice where he is concerned. 4 season ban and a £9 million fine will suffice.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He has played 52 full internationals since 2007, played 110 times over 4 seasons in Holland, and been in the UK since the summer. If he doesn't realise the term is offensive to some by now, then he must have severe learning problems.

Others have raised the issue of Britain being hypersensitive to racism. But, Patrice Evra isn't British. The majority of those 52 full internationals were not against brits. There were reports that Hernadez refers to Evra negrito, as you say the term is offensive to some (and only when uttered by certain people).

Britain isn't populated solely with brits, and there is a high number of foreigners in premier league football, meaning Suarez will be mixing with a lot of people who are not as hypersensitive to racism as Britain is.

It's not like he has necessarily been entrenched in British culture since his arrival, mixing with many different cultures, many of which aren't offended by his terminology.

And Even if he had, if you've been using a term without any pause to think about it for most of your life, then suddenly you're somewhere else, where it is an offensive term, it's not like it's a switch and you can just erase it from your vocabulary, if it's been second nature for so long it is likely to slip out occasionally.

So, it's not so simple as how long someone has been here, (nor in Holland).

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That pretty much sums up my view as well. Leaving aside the whole "What is racism?" debate (which as we all know extends well beyond football), I cannot believe that even in race-obsessed England people think that using offensive language is a far more serious crime and worthy or a far bigger punishment than punching someone or breaking an opponent's leg with a deliberately reckless two-footed lunge. That's why I can't believe people are saying the FA 'got it right'. Weird priorities IMO.

I do not think it is being judged as a far more serious crime. As with the riots, sometimes the severity of a punishment is a reflection of the times as much as anything else.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Maybe you're right, it must be all part of some master plan.

I hope John Terry's punishment is way over the top as well, I am willing to accept a massive injustice where he is concerned. 4 season ban and a £9 million fine will suffice.

I still don't think Terry will be punished because (unless there's anymore footage) no-one can contradict his version of events.
Suarez doesn't seem to have denied saying the remarks, his defence was that they're not racist

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Agreed. I'm now beginning to worry that Thatcher will die on the same day as John Terry starts his porridge and I will not be able to cope with it all.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Yep, definitely. It is bizarre, it's like there is some kind of competition with some people to see who can be offended by the most inoffensive thing. Odd. And sad.

I know. People who have never been the subject of any sort of racial abuse telling ethnic minorities how they should feel about racism. Bizarre innit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I still don't think Terry will be punished because (unless there's anymore footage) no-one can contradict his version of events.
Suarez doesn't seem to have denied saying the remarks, his defence was that they're not racist

You should look up Terry's rather bizarre defence then. Again, like Suarez Terry has admitted to using the term 'black ****' but only to deny he had used it. What a load of bullshit.

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
The term is offensive to some. Others have raised the issue of Britain being hypersensitive to racism. But, Patrice Evra isn't British. The majority of those 52 full internationals were not against brits. There were reports that Hernadez refers to Evra negrito.

Britain isn't populated solely with brits, and there is a high number of foreigners in premier league football, meaning Suarez will be mixing with a lot of people who are not as hypersensitive to racism as Britain is.

It's not like he has necessarily been entrenched in British culture since his arrival, mixing with many different cultures, many of which aren't offended by his terminology.

And Even if he had, if you've been using a term without any pause to think about it for most of your life, then suddenly you're somewhere else, where it is an offensive term, it's not like it's a switch and you can just erase it from your vocabulary, if it's been second nature for so long it is likely to slip out occasionally.

I understand your point entirely, HOWEVER, he used the word "Negrito" or whatever, whilst having an argument with Patrice Evra.
He wasnt saying the word as a term of endearment towards Evra was he??

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Others have raised the issue of Britain being hypersensitive to racism. But, Patrice Evra isn't British. The majority of those 52 full internationals were not against brits. There were reports that Hernadez refers to Evra negrito, as you say the term is offensive to some (and only when uttered by certain people).

Being racist would suggest he has, would it not?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
You should look up Terry's rather bizarre defence then. Again, like Suarez Terry has admitted to using the term 'black ****' but only to deny he had used it. What a load of bullshit.

Which was in his eyes probably a genius way of getting out of it. Until they mentioned it to Ferdinand who said he had no idea what he was talking about as he never accused him of saying it in the first place. It just shows the intelligence of your average footballer, it's like coming up with some rubbish excuse to a teacher at school to try and get out of trouble.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I understand your point entirely, HOWEVER, he used the word "Negrito" or whatever, whilst having an argument with Patrice Evra.

We don't know whether he was using the word as a term of endearment while trying to calm Evra down.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an another aside (the hangover is easing slightly and I have finished off the rather fine quiche), did anyone else find Kenny's Tweet about not letting Suarez walk alone nauseating? They love it them scousers.

Last edited:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I do not think it is being judged as a far more serious crime. As with the riots, sometimes the severity of a punishment is a reflection of the times as much as anything else.
Eh? An eight game ban seems to suggest that it IS being judged as a far more serious crime. Also the one-off riot punishments were more that burglary was given a harsher sentence if it took place under the cover of the riot when it was assumed (by the rioters) that normal rules had been suspended. And unlike Premiership football matches you don't get riots every week and it WAS a reflection of special circumstances. I really can't see how you can draw any comparison between the two.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

So he's denied racially abusing someone? and that's different to denying racially abusing someone how?

My point is from what's come out no-one at the time heard the abuse, they all responded the video. It would be pretty hard to prove his version of events is false if no-one else heard him say it at the time and the evidence doesn't contradict him.

I don't like Terry much but I don't see how unless something else comes out the could punish him. My only thoughts in his defence are I find it a little odd he ran to the other end of the pitch and then a racial insult at a player at the other end of and no-one heard this

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I've not seen him confirm this, news articles still say "if he used the term" or "is rumoured to have" (which they wouldn't need to do if Suarez had admitted using it). And as Goldstone Rapper says, we don't know the context of it being used. The only people who know if it was used, and how it was used or taken are Evra and Suarez, at the moment.

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
I've not seen him confirm this, news articles still say "if he used the term" or "is rumoured to have" (which they wouldn't need to do if Suarez had admitted using it). And as Goldstone Rapper says, we don't know the context of it being used. The only people who know if it was used, and how it was used or taken are Evra and Suarez, at the moment.

For sure! I guess he must have admitted to using the words, otherwise if he had have denied it with no evidence I dont see how the FA could find him guilty

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
As an another aside (the hangover is easing slightly and I have finished off the rather fine quiche), did anyone else find Kenny's Tweet about not letting Suarez walk alone nauseating? They love it them scousers.

No one does self pitying like a scouser.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Eh? An eight game ban seems to suggest that it IS being judged as a far more serious crime. Also the one-off riot punishments were more that burglary was given a harsher sentence if it took place under the cover of the riot when it was assumed (by the rioters) that normal rules had been suspended. And unlike Premiership football matches you don't get riots every week and it WAS a reflection of special circumstances. I really can't see how you can draw any comparison between the two.

My comparison is that at the time of the riots, and the subsequent court cases, the government wanted to send out a message. Ditto with the FA and Suarez. This is all.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
For sure! I guess he must have admitted to using the words, otherwise if he had have denied it with no evidence I dont see how the FA could find him guilty

That's the crux of Liverpool's statement, that the FA have taken Evra's word with no other evidence. If Suarez had admitted it, that would be other evidence, surely? Of Course, Liverpool could be unaware of Suarez admitting it in the trial, or deliberately forgetting to mention it.

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
That's the crux of Liverpool's statement, that the FA have taken Evra's word with no other evidence. If Suarez had admitted it, that would be other evidence, surely? Of Course, Liverpool could be unaware of Suarez admitting it in the trial, or deliberately forgetting to mention it.

True, shame the hearing wasnt filmed! so we wouldnt have to guess

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here