Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LOADS of Brighton Players - ALL Released

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
That's alot of people gone.

Maybe they are actually serious about pushing for promotionand intend to spend more money.

Sad to see so many great clubmen depart at once.

Maybe a job around the club can be found for one or two of them.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Putting two and two together (and maybe getting five) but could be retiring?

That's what concerns me.

However, it could be a case of giving him as much time as possible before making a decision. Is it end of June when contracts are up?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
if the reason behind releasing reid was injury proneness, which some people seem to think it is, then i really dont see how they can justify keeping hinshlewood who has spent far much more time on the treatment table

three month contracts for both to get fit and prove they could stay fit would have been the most sensible idea in my opinion

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
But I remember you saying you would keep some of the older ones (ie Mayo) IN CASE we couldn't sign replacements. That's where we differ. I think you've GOT to take the risk. If a player isn't good enough, then it shows a severe lack of ambition to simply keep him on in case his replacement isn't too hot. I have no doubt Wilkins will be able to sign players. It's his job to make sure they're good ones.

I'd like to SEE Hart, Mayo and Butters kept on in case we couldn't sign replacements - it's taken us YEARS to sign a good left back, and YEARS to sign goalscoring forwards. Remember all the 'near misses' under McGhee?

Obviously if i was in charge though, i'd have full belief that i would sign the replacements, i'd have highlighted the targets and ensured they were better than the named 3. Presumably this is the case for the current management, and it's well worth taking the risk of a clear out as a result.

Since I made those remarks, we've signed players in January and seem to have a scouting network set up. Therefore, i'm more confident about us getting the required replacmeents.

:)

As for Cobbs - he's always been hyped on here, but how come he hasn't made the team/bench when Rents has? He's obviously not showed enough in training/reserve matches.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
if the reason behind releasing reid was injury proneness, which some people seem to think it is, then i really dont see how they can justify keeping hinshlewood who has spent far much more time on the treatment table

three month contracts for both to get fit and prove they could stay fit would have been the most sensible idea in my opinion

Reid has been playing regularly for the reserves for the last few months. He looked really good when I saw him about 3 weeks ago at Southampton.

Possibly we are just not prepared to offer him a contract at a level he will deem acceptable. Perhaps the clubs view of his worth to the squad does not tally with his view of his worth.

It is the one I am surprised at.

Last edited:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
would sincerely hope that richards is as good as ours
meh... he IS now the best we can hope for sadly - still not overlly keen on him

bet after all this we'll end up bringing in him , a couple of non-leaguers and some obscure player who users to play la liga/bunderliga / serie a etc..

i HOPE i'm wrong and Deano has a few good cards up his sleeve and doesn't resort to buying any of the above!

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
As for Cobbs - he's always been hyped on here, but how come he hasn't made the team/bench when Rents has? He's obviously not showed enough in training/reserve matches.

He's two years behind Rents. He was playing regularly at LB for the youth in his first year and looked mustard. Skinner is the same age group as him and was only getting in sporadically in his first year.

By all of this my point was I thought he would have been given more of a chance as he has age on his side.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Contracted:

Dean Cox
Jonny Dixon
Tommy Elphick
Nicky Forster
Tommy Fraser
Joe Gatting
Joel Lynch
Glenn Murray
Jake Robinson
Steven Thomson
Andrew Whing

Offers:
Scott Chamberlain, Adam El-Abd, Wes Fogden, Doug Loft, John Sullivan, Sam Gargan.

Unknown:
Zac Beda, Lee Bryant, Matt Foreman, Ruben French, Adam Hinshelwood, Michel Kuipers, Kane Louis, Andrew Pearson, Dan Royce, Kane Wills.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Reid has been playing regularly for the reserves for the last few months. He looked really good when I saw hi about 3 weeks ago at Southampton.

Possibly we are just not prepared to offer him a contract at a level he will deem acceptable. Perhaps the clubs view of his worth to the squad does not tally ith his view of his worth.

It is the one I am surprised at.

theres a difference between reserve football and first team football though - reid looked good in the games he played this season, bar mansfield, which was understandable as he had that virus thing and EVERYONE was shit that day

still think he would have been worth three months - give him a chance to get a pre season under his belt and established in the first team. especially given the fact we are STILL lacking that creative/attacking midfield player

obviously if he wanted a contract we were not prepared to give to what would effectively have been a gamble, then maybe it is the right decision. out of all of those released though, i would say reid is the only one who could still do a job in a top half team in this division, fitness depending

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
kuipers has a contract offer does he not, as he has played the required amount of games?

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Surely we've got a budget from some where and are really going to push for promotion next season. I couldnt imagine us releasing so many players if this wasnt the case.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Contracted:

Dean Cox
Jonny Dixon
Tommy Elphick
Nicky Forster
Tommy Fraser
Joe Gatting
Joel Lynch
Glenn Murray
Jake Robinson
Steven Thomson
Andrew Whing

Offers:
Scott Chamberlain, Adam El-Abd, Wes Fogden, Doug Loft, John Sullivan, Sam Gargan.

Unknown:
Zac Beda, Lee Bryant, Matt Foreman, Ruben French, Adam Hinshelwood, Michel Kuipers, Kane Louis, Andrew Pearson, Dan Royce, Kane Wills.

Kuipers should be in the 'offers' section - he passed an appearance clause and was duly offered an extension of one year.

Assuming he signed, we can still raise a team!;

................Kuipers................
Whing..Lynch..Elphick..Fraser
Robinson..Cox..Thomson...Dixon
.........Murray...Forster........

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Kuipers should be in the 'offers' section - he passed an appearance clause and was duly offered an extension of one year.

Assuming he signed, we can still raise a team!;

................Kuipers................
Whing..Lynch..Elphick..Fraser
Robinson..Cox..Thomson...Dixon
.........Murray...Forster........

Ok fair enough. Presuming those offered contracts sign them we'll have 18 contracted players. I presume we'll sign some of the youth players to give them that "extra year" they talk about - which will push us over the 20 mark.

Contracted:

Dean Cox
Jonny Dixon
Tommy Elphick
Nicky Forster
Tommy Fraser
Joe Gatting
Joel Lynch
Glenn Murray
Jake Robinson
Steven Thomson
Andrew Whing

Offers:
Scott Chamberlain, Adam El-Abd, Wes Fogden, Doug Loft, John Sullivan, Sam Gargan, Michel Kuipers.

Unknown:
Zac Beda, Lee Bryant, Matt Foreman, Ruben French, Adam Hinshelwood, Kane Louis, Andrew Pearson, Dan Royce, Kane Wills.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west

That does seem fair, if a player has injured himself playing for your team it is only right to allow him a reasonable chance to recover so at least if you release him he has a good chance of finding another club, nobody would sign a player who was out of the game through injury...unless his name began with Kitson.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I think we've possibly got a few too many players in midfield/up front if we're looking to sign players in those areas.

Are Fogden, Loft and Chamberlain going to break into the side? I'd think the 'back-up' midfielders would be Robinson, Fraser and El-Abd (if needed).

So you'd have "a new RM - a new MC - Thomson - Cox" with the three above as decent replacements.

Up front we've now got Dixon, Gatting and Gargan as back up. I don't see any of them being good enough to challenge Murray or Forster next season. Dixon needs a chance to be fair and I'd be happy with him as 4th choice. Gargan will probably be loaned out again. If we're going to get another striker, which surely we need if we want the depth needed to challenge up the top, we'll have to transfer list Gatting?

El-Abd's decision will make be a big factor on new defenders too as he can cover any defensive position.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here